iPad Interesting new puzzle game - Railroad

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jarikata, Jan 7, 2009.

1. jarikata

jarikata Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    I was a long time ago a big fan of the game pipe dream on old PC's where you had to connect pipes.... Now I found a great variation of this game called Railroad, where you have to connect rails so that the train would reach the station in time. Rails you either flip around or move on the board. There's tunnels that teleport you to another tunnel for example... I just bought it and played a little while and I must say I like this game vary much so far

I don't know how to get the appstore like to games but here's the site of the developer.

http://www.ysh.kr/railroad

2. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Gold Rush http://appshopper.com/games/gold-rush seems to be the more polished version of this. Free version also available.

I tried it a few weeks ago and loved it, but I didn't buy the full version, because I can't see me playing this kind of game very often :).

3. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    The game is good BEFORE I know that the 3 tracks that are available at the right side of the screen will not changed unless you built 1 of them. If only we can choose from any tracks we want.

4. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks for the heads up about this game.

Here is the App Store link: Railroad Puzzle

Does the game remember your progress or do you have to restart when a game has been interupted?

I see that there is currently only 12 levels in the game. That does not seem like very many (especially for a person who plays lots of puzzle games like me!). How hard are you finding the levels? Are they fast to finish or do you need lots of time as they are tricky?

I too like this genre of game. I've tried the Gold Rush lite version. Although I haven't tried Railroad Puzzle yet, I think that while they are of the same general genre they look to be different. With Gold Rush the train stations and gold are placed for you on the board. You then have only a few pieces of track that you can place at a time. They are random which means you will get pieces that are of no use to you. I dealt with them by placing them on outside areas of the board that I didn't need to use to make a track. That works OK on an easy level where you can collect the gold nuggets and make the track. But I don't think it would work well on harder levels. You would start parking pieces on needed parts of the board. Yes I know you can demolish pieces of track but this takes time and would slow you down too much on harder levels when you need to act fast. I didn't think that the random element in Gold Rush worked too well and that stopped me purchasing the full version.

Railroad Puzzle looks to have all the track pieces already on the board. You then can rotate the pieces or move them around. Which makes it more like a traditional game of this genre. Of course with the added twist of being able to move the pieces around and the need for the train to collect all the "items" on each level. I assume that all pieces can be used to build the track? Unlike with Gold Rush where you can have wasted pieces.

5. jarikata

Jan 3, 2009
    #5 jarikata, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
    Hmmm... I guess it doesn't save... that is a shame though, of course for the iphone users (i have an ipod myself). I tried shutting the game and opened again and there was no resume game option...

I have played this for an hour now and I do actually find the levels rather tricky, especially when there is more than one treasure (gold, beer or something) to pick up o the road. There is also three difficulty levels and the hardest is pretty fast. The tunnels are nice. they teleport the triain to other tunnels so you have to think also that there are rails ready at the other end where the train comes out. There developer promised (appstore page) that more stages designed are coming soon. I hope so.

Yes all pieces can be used to build the railroad, all execpt the five starting rails and five finishing rails (on each side) are movable. I guess in Gold rush you have three railpieces given and you can choose one to use out of those. Am I right? (I guess it was like that in the old pipe dream game too)

6. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Another polished pipe-game is balloonia, which doesn't have the excitement of building it in time (it IS timed, but there's no train with passengers risking their lives based on your skills :eek:). It's casual, and it's pretty fun overall.

7. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I also noticed that this new Railroad game brings a bit of piece shuffling into the game. You can rotate and move the rail pieces.

Another great pipe-like-game is of course Paradox 3000. Very different setting though, but great puzzle mode :).

8. jarikata

Jan 3, 2009

I have Paradox 3000 too and I like it a lot.... a bit of sci-fi version :) Especially I like the puzzle mode.

9. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    I tried the lite version of Paradox 3000 and I didn't like it that much... It just felt too cluttered and busy and over-crowded, when there was no need for it to be like that.
    I haven't tried Balloonia, but the screenshots show a similar story.

For this reason, I much prefer Pipes, which is a similar game, but the interface and graphics for it are much simpler and more attractive.

10. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    #10 BrettArchibald, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
    That's weird... This screen would seem to imply that you can indeed resume play from where you left off — although I can't confirm that from experience, as I haven't bought the game (yet)...

[​IMG]

Although *maybe* it means resume play from the beginning of the level where you last played, rather than from the precise spot where you got up to in that level?
    Either way is fine for me — just so long as you don't always have to start from level 1 every time you play the game!

Both games look very appealing though — I might just have to buy them! :)
    (I tried the lite version of Gold Rush and that was really well put together.)

11. triela

triela Member

Nov 26, 2008
    #11 triela, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
    Your assumption is spot on. Due to the gameplay, this is probably better behavior anyway than restoring from the precise point of leaving the game.

On a related note...

Hmm.. An hour sure is a long time for you to have spent on the first stage (j/kidding).

12. jarikata

Jan 3, 2009
    Well, tell you the truth I only tested it quitting the game from the home button and starting again. It gives the resume option if I just pause the game. Maybe that is what happens when the phone rings for example. I have and ipod so I don't know.

13. jarikata

Jan 3, 2009
    well I got as far as third stage but it WAS difficult.... flipping those rails and moving them around... after all there was three passengers to pick up too in the third stage... :)

14. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #14 rIcHrAnDoM, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
    Railroad Puzzle I got the game yesterday and have had some time to play it now. This game is very well put together. I tried the lite version of Gold Rush and I found it to be frustrating and even somewhat unresponsive.

Railroad puzzle on the other hand will be a game I will be playing for a good while. I think the sound and gameplay are top notch. I am more of a action/adventure type of gameplayer, but find this game refreshingly involving and challenging.

For my lengthy review of the game you can check out the appstore review I wrote. I can't say for sure if it is showing up yet, but it gives some more detail.

Oh, also this is one of the coolest looking app icons on my iPhone.

15. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Same here. I loved the free version and it was really challenging too :)

16. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    For those who might be interested, I notice there's now a free lite / demo version of Railroad Puzzle on the app-Store:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=302770569&mt=8

For the record, I bought the full version of the game some time ago, and I have to say, I'm addicted.
    Since this thread was originally started, the developer has also added a 30-second "headstart" timer countdown on the easy level, so if you found yourself floundering to move all the pieces in time, this helps a lot.

17. funke75

funke75 Member

Jan 20, 2009
    who has time to work...
    SoCal Baby!
    that looks pretty fun. I used to love those little slider games when i was a kid, and are those little beer mugs you have to pick up? if so, awesome!

18. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    #18 BrettArchibald, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
    Yep, those are beer mugs.

You get to pick up different things on different tracks as you progress through the levels... Beer, flowers, people, gift-boxes, gold-bars, cakes, even little iPhones. Very quirky! :)

19. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Railroad Puzzle:

Now only $.99! This game is a fun an sometimes very busy, tile-shifting puzzle game. The dev just updated the game about 2 days ago, and it recieved the price drop this morning from $1.99

Check it out.