iPad Interceptor: Now available in the App Store

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by pivotal, Sep 24, 2008.

1. pivotal

pivotal Member

Sep 16, 2008
  2. raps27

raps27 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2008
    i thought u said it was a dollar. And what does the price go up to after the sale?

3. pivotal

pivotal Member

Sep 16, 2008
    I think you suggested it should be a dollar :)

4. XOrlandoPX

XOrlandoPX Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Student
    I have been waiting for a game like this to come out but now there are two, Missile Command and Interceptor, and I just don't know what to get !!!

5. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    #5 vandy1997, Sep 25, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
    Come on, now. Two dollars is a great price for this app.

Here are my first impressions - and I haven't played Missile Command yet, so I will not make a comparison! The graphics and sound effects are great. I like the fact that the background wallpaper changes when the level changes. I also like the fact that you can pause the game (by pressing PAUSE at the top left of the screen). Plus, you get extra points because the app saves its state! It's a great app that can be played at any time. Thank you! :D

6. pivotal

pivotal Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Thanks man! I appreciate the feedback.

I'll tell you that the initial version I submitted didn't save state, but once I implemented that I quickly withdrew that version from the app store and re-uploaded, because it was worth waiting the extra couple of days to have it in!

7. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    Hmm i just bought Missile Command... This sounds like a solid offering though. MC didn't have any real game play innovations to offer past the bells and whistles, so this may be a good choice for the budget minded.

8. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Really? I think I'd have to disagree. The Atari offering is only $4.99 but looks MUCH more polished than this, IMO. It also has the classic mode, with the original arcade graphics (if you ever feel like taking a trip down memory lane) and saves its state when exiting, as well ... It would be different if Atari were trying to gouge people at $10 again, but they're not. The low price of the 'real deal' means knock-offs (like this game, unfortunately) should be either free or $0.99, in my opinion.

I'm sure the OP spent a lot of time on this app, it's just unfortunate timing.

9. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    bah, I got missile command thinking I'd have time before Intercepter came out =(

This is my next purchase, and I'll put up a head to head

10. pivotal

pivotal Member

Sep 16, 2008
    In reality, Interceptor is a different game to Missile Command. I've bought MC and played it, and the gameplay in Interceptor is barely comparable.

11. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

I think you forgot to quote the other (main) part of my post:

Whether your game is radically different than MC or not (and TBH, I can't see how it could be) it doesn't change the fact that the authentic MC is being sold for the relatively low price of $5 and appears to be much more polished than "Interceptor." While I haven't purchased your game (and never will, at the price you're asking) I have purchased Missile Command and am fairly impressed. I don't mean to hurt your feelings here, nor do I enjoy beating this dead horse, I'm just saying that you might want to either 1) adjust your price to something more reasonable - either $1 or FREE - to make your app more attractive to buyers and 2) give your graphics a complete overhaul to be ale to compete with MC visually. ;)

12. lw1234

lw1234 Active Member

Sep 5, 2008
    I know you want people to buy your game, and I did just to do a comparison between it and Missile Command, but saying things like "the gameplay is barely comparable" is just not true.

It is not a bad game by any means, but it is a slightly less functional version of Missile Command. Nukes are coming onto the screen, you tap an area near them to start a chain reaction that will hopefully make them explode before they destroy the bases at the bottom of the screen. Unfortunately, that is the same game.

What I will say is that for people who think that $5 is too much, this is a good alternative. The gameplay is slightly more repetitive (I only say slightly because Missile Command is already pretty repetitive, but it at least has those space invaders elements with flying saucers and motherships), but it gets the job done.

I do have to agree that the timing is a little poor. Again, I'm not trying to dog on your game, because it's clear that you worked hard on it, but just like there are 8,000,000 versions of Breakout, it will take a really great effort to distinguish yourself from the herd in a world of clones.

Maybe an update can add some more variety?:)

13. pivotal

pivotal Member

Sep 16, 2008
    There is an update underway which I hope you'll be pretty impressed with. Did you get past level 5 to see a teeny bit of variety? :)