Interactive Fiction

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dankrio, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    This is becoming my favorite "gaming" genre, since I don't have the will anymore to dive into complex systems and I was always a story-orientated gamer.

Which are the developers and games I should keep an eye out for?

I play Telltalle, Tin Man, Choice of Games, Inkle games on a regular basis.

Also, loved the ones like Device 6.

Any suggestions?

2. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Looks like you've already found the best devs. Inkle is certainly redefining the genre with Sorcery and 80 Days. I just finished One Button Travel which is enjoyable providing you have the patience. Presently reading Samurai of Hyuga from Hosted Games (using the " Choice of" system). This is from a professional author so it's really well written. If you ever get back into complex systems then I'd strongly recommend Hadean Lands. Totally mindbending at first but with a logical structure which I understood eventually.

3. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Thanks for the tip, Stronsay!

How complex is that game? If it is not overwhelming I might give it a try.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #4 Exact-Psience, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    Checkout Lifeline, Lifeline: Silent Night, and Lifeline 2 by 3 Minute Games. I also highly recommend Joe Dever's Lone Wolf.

5. Stronsay

Aug 6, 2015
    Ha! Hadean Lands is the most complex game I've ever seen, Dankrio. It's not exactly overwhelming but does take time and commitment to understand the alchemical logic. Not something to be undertaken lightly but if you do get the hang of it then it becomes very absorbing.

6. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I got Lone Wolf but haven't played it yet. I am going to buy the other games, though. Thanks!

So, I have to pass it at the moment. :(

On gaming I am now trying to keep a mix between fun and work in which work is as simples as possible.

7. Stronsay

Aug 6, 2015
    Tokyo 13. - A fake social network for people who like to exchange puzzles; or is it? This is a Japanese app so of course there may be monsters.

8. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Gonna check it. Thanks!

9. demid_tishin

demid_tishin Active Member

Tin Star, Choice of Robots, Study in Steampunk, Heavy Metal Thunder, Crusader Kings

Dankrio,
    I'm a big fan of IF and narrative-driven games, too! Can definitely recommend these ones:
    1. Tin Star - Wild West setting, a lot of text, a lot of non-linearity. Also top reviews (I guess the average score is a crazy 4.9 stars!)
    2. The Choice of Robots - A game about robots written by an actual robotics scientist. Loads of meaningful choices and philosophical questions.
    3. Study in Steampunk - Steampunk setting, good writing.
    4. Heavy Metal Thunder - Decent but very lightweight writing, kind of a sci-fi pulp fiction with much fighting. But! A rare case when it actually feels like an action game, even a first-person shooter I'd say. Great resource management mechanics (super limited inventory, super limited skill slots), UI, music and illustrations are great, too.
    5. Crusader Kings: Chronicles by Paradox Interactive (companion game to their PC strategy with the same name) - Medieval setting. Quite short, but very good writing and enriching. Nice visuals and fight mechanics, too.

---
    P.S. If you like Victorian setting or mystery genre, I could add you as a tester to the narrative-based game Silent Streets that we're releasing soon. It's a solid interactive fiction with augmented reality. Also with full-scale voiceover and stuff. Your feedback could help us make the experience even better.