Insights as to how users find out about apps becoming free?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by devilsway, Jul 24, 2012.

1. devilsway

devilsway New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Hi, newbie developer here. I was wondering if any of you have any insights as to why making apps free are so effective in getting downloads.

Namely, how do so many people find out about apps becoming free?

I experimented with dropping the price of my app from $3 to free recently, and from less than 10 downloads before the price drop, I now have 10,000 downloads worldwide just one week later.

My app is fairly new so I don't believe it was featured on those AppsGoneFree services? Are there other ways people find out about the app becoming free? Does the iTunes store itself have a section for "recently free" apps?

If this is the case, even if you are developing an app based on a freemium model, wouldn't it be more effective to first upload it with a price tag, and then make it free?

2. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Some websites track price on apps.
    When an app become free, it's featured automatically.

3. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    I'm not a developer so I can't speak from experience, but I think that what you're describing simply reflects the cheapness of most users on the app store. I'd also hypothesize that, due to the huge number of absolutely horrendous free applications out there, one that looks good or decent can be especially tempting. On the other hand, there are a huge number of good or decent paid applications - and a substantial number of terrible ones, but let's not go into that - so your app won't stand out as much in that crowd.

I guess I didn't really address your question, though. I don't believe that there is a section of "recently free" apps. Free apps just get a lot more attention than paid ones. People love free stuff, and there's no risk with downloading a free app.

As for your freemium suggestion, I have no idea. Maybe some devs can provide insight on that.

4. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    AppShopper. Message ends. :)

5. devilsway

devilsway New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    really? that many people are going into AppShopper?

6. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    hard to tell of course, but it's either that or others like it.

There's a ton of apps and sites to help bargain hunters find stuff.

7. ColeyWoley

ColeyWoley Active Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Artist, Disparity Games
    It'd be an idea, if you expected no visibility, to release at a higher price and do a price drop a bit later then?

http://www.disparitygames.com

8. #8 Connector, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
    There a lot of people too that get hooked into the free apps from FAAD, Free App a Day, since they make an app for it, it is easy for new users to find it. Also, the games usually have a plug for it when it goes free, so it is hard to miss. Also their free promotions always land very high on apple's app store top lists, so it is well publicized.

But since it doesn't really support the ipad, I started going to other places like Touch arcade, appadvice, appshopper, appzap, etc...

But I do remember the time, when all I had was FAAD, and seeing maybe 3 apps a day, and then maybe choosing one app a day to download for free... The good old days...

9. I think it is more for the advanced user. Even though it is easy to use, it requires some legwork which most people don't want to do, plus many people don't know about it. I started using it mainly to find previous prices rather than to get free programs. It is my last resort to finding free programs. Would rather come to places like Touch Arcade where there is info on the games, and where it is filtered out a bit.

10. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Only those who don't mind frustration. Appshopper is so behind it often doesn't show prove drops until the app is back to full price :p AppZapp is way better. Anyway, there are tons of these apps, and websites as well that track price drops or specifically freebies. There's also the price drops section of these forums which seems to be one of the most read areas.