Universal Ingress (by Google)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jul 14, 2014.

1. bloodapthy

bloodapthy Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    The irony is that playing ingress alters the way people move around anyway. So the idea that it's tracking you for that purpose is silly.

2. binyamin

binyamin Member

May 25, 2012
    some people care and they may or may not be aware. If you don't, excellent enjoy I hope the game as it is gives you loads of fun.

I don't think being aware of data tracking policies is tin foil, it's important to be aware of what you're agreeing to. as another user said were tracked everywhere we go by local and fed agencies what's the different here (paraphrased)? while I don't agree I think the user should be informed.

3. poohzombie

poohzombie Active Member

Aug 21, 2012
    This. From my experience, most of the time (atleast in my city), the places you have to go, are usually areas unreachable with a vehicle. So they're tracking walking paths to public landmarks (water towers, churches, public art and historic landmarks).

Seems pretty nefarious. ;)

4. makitango

makitango Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Has anyone noticed the insane amount of heat generated and battery being drained? Of course, it is related to the permanently active GPS, but maybe not entirely because it only happens on my iPhone but not on my iPad. I can almost play all day long on the iPad, it won't even heat up, but on my iPhone, playing is pretty much killing the smartphone function.

5. jabbasoft

jabbasoft Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 29, 2012
    Yup I was thinking the same after having to log in with my google id and then basically expose my gps location for their gratification.

Maybe there is a game mechanic or lightbulb moment I'm missing, but it seems I am just sending google some personal data which will help their algorithms team do "stuff"...

6. juancrespo1980

Jun 7, 2014
    open and quit instantly! :(

7. diaskeaus

diaskeaus Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Needs more story, needs better explanation of what to do, and needs to be less expensive in gas. Game seems well-suited to a single person in their thirties or forties who doesn't have many friends and can take the time after work to drive to portals and sit there for 20 minutes holding their phones up like amnesiacs from Encounters of the Third Kind.

8. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    This thread is funny.

9. g0omba

g0omba Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Needs to be able to add portals.

10. makitango

makitango Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Needs to not fu**ing *fu** up updates and then force the user to update.

11. Digibear

Digibear Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Ingress Prme hype?