"Infraction" - pathetic and insulting policy

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by istara, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    He got his feelings hurt and won't let it go. That's about all that's going on at this point. I think we all understand that he tried to do a nice thing with no self serving motives, but he fails to understand that this policy is not some random power grab by the admins -- it's simply a necessity in this environment.

2. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    Maybe you should have read the rules the first time, and you wouldn't be so upset when the site reacts to you breaking them.

3. reinhart_menken

reinhart_menken Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    #63 reinhart_menken, Jun 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
    You must have modded a very unconventional and lenient or small forum or something, but you clearly have not been on the big sites (either that or you just have a really big problem with adapting and getting a grip - as evidence shows).

You fail to understand that moderators are "hired" or picked or whatever specifically to be robots (when I say hired I don't mean it in the conventional sense where money is involved). They're not hired because of their winning personality or their overwhelming logic and reasoning or even intelligence, they're hired - most of the time - for their ability to enforce rules in a draconian fashion - exactly to follow the rules blindly. They are to exercise their power like an Old Testament God (and in this forum they're not even that, they only just gave you an infraction).

And I mean no offense when I describe that job description; somebody has to do it.

It's a common unspoken rule (a lot of times even spelled out clearly) that 1. Moderators are always right, 2. Don't argue with a mod publicly in a public forum (meaning = PM) 3. Moderators are always right.

It is already pretty lenient that this thread got as far as even page 2. Other forums wouldn't even so much as allow you to speak about rules that were enforced (so no talking about being banned, no talking about getting an infraction).

Plus, if they were to make exceptions then it might be seen as favoritism. I'm pretty sure even if the RED CROSS came here to promote their site the thread would swiftly deleted or locked as well - because it's the bots' jobs.

I mean, think about what they have to do - delete ads, change thread titles, lock threads, prevent possible flame wars or stop flame bait, etc etc. They don't have time to stop and have an inner philosophical debate about "oh, does this apply?" That would make them inefficient. Everything that breaks the rules apply.

The only time they are wrong is when they just go psycho and do something like go on a delete spree and delete all the threads in a forum...and sometimes not even that's enough.

I like mods in forums that just give you only one warning (legitimate) and after that just go "shut the hole up and go back to what you were doing" (I've seen that).

Like CDubby94 said, no it's no infantile. Our country's DMV uses a point-deduction (or addition or whatever) system. Or, you can flip it, and say it's infantile because people are infantile, hence we need stupid measures people can grasp.

Now, with all this being said, understand I'm not trying to attack you. I'm just trying to make you understand.

We know that you're prolly just doing it out of goodwill; and like a lot of other people have said, you could easily just make a thread and publish the list there. You said the mods should exercise intelligence - use yours. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference if you just follow the rules and just publish the list on the forum instead of linking to it. Saves you the time getting mad about it, save the mods time having to lock it, save us the time needed to accumulate 7 pages.

The reason linking to your blog (someone said that on the earlier pages) or whatever your site is, is seen as traffic-driving even though there are no counters, is because that's like advertising (and don't pretend like you think people only advertise when there's money involved). Even though there are no content, what you did can be construed as encouraging people to go back and check it later, hence trying to make your site be seen more.

4. Simbazz

Simbazz Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I've been following this thread, and i've been/are a member of a hell of a lot of forums. Created one or two as well.

The thing which people need to realise, although the iDevices are real things, this is merely an online forum, something to while away the time, and in the mean-time, find out about something you guys are interested in.

I'm not a fan of the infractions, but I live with it because, to be honest, who really cares? Its not like me getting infracted is going to change my day.

I think people need to take stock and realise how unbelievably difficult running a forum is. Rules are there to be followed, and on this site, especially, it'd be damn difficult to think, "hmmm...maybe i'll use common sense here and wave the punishment," because as soon as you do it for one, its only fair you do it for all.

To sum up this rant,

Grow up, its an online forum, rules are there to be followed, don't like it, leave.

I know I'm new here, just seen a lot of this over the years.

5. reinhart_menken

reinhart_menken Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    It was actually so interesting for me to see a thread like this that I read the whole thing, partly because the forums I used to go to it's either immediately locked or (in another forum) you get a "shut your hole up and get a grip". So it's rare for me to see discussion about a punishment :p Plus I was bored.

6. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    I had never read the thread before now, but I must say many of you were VERY insensitive about that issue.

It may have been the wrong place to say what she did but no one deserves to get flamed for grieving a lost loved one.

7. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington

Nobody flamed her in the beginning, just questioned her actions. She got pissed, which got everyone else started.

8. worldcup1100

Feb 2, 2009
    Yes, but everyone could have kept that to themselves, and understood how hard it is to for her, a little better.

9. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    You know what's ironic though? She could've kept that poem to herself.

10. worldcup1100

Feb 2, 2009
    Very true, that was just all in all a VERY delicate topic, that she really shouldn't have brought here.
    I mean what reaction did she expect? Guys are not exactly known for their great sensitivity...

11. Simbazz

Simbazz Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Thats where I've been going wrong with the ladies, so is crying over a dead pigeon not good? :p

12. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    thats not ironic, thats just a fact. If people are going to use words please can they know how!

Anyway, on topic. The OP's argument is pointless, so you don't want to paste your work into this forum, but you want to help people. You also say that the website you host it on has no adverts or anything, so why would you care.

And semi on-topic, how do you become a mod, do you just have to frequently and lawfully use a forum and prove that you are willing to help. It sounds good to be a mod, but I probably don't use the forums enough.

13. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    It's ironic in that worldcup said that the people who responded to her should not have said anything at all, and yet she shouldn't have said anything either.

14. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    It's ironic how much you use the word ironic.

15. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Twice? :confused:

16. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    Haha I guess but it was only used once the right way. You're shooting fifty percent buddy.

17. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I used ironic in this thread too :(

18. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I feel dumb =(

19. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Why the living hell are you talking about me for? That forum was for discussion about anything. This whole forum is run by apes with no brains and filled with mods like hodapp who couldn't think his way out of a paper bag. Filled with mean spirited children who have nothing better to do than pick on others because their life sucks.

I don't come here for a reason, this forum is ridiculous and only a few nice people are left. I came here because my name was mentioned and I responded. Thank god I won't be sticking around for the ramblings of the insane.

20. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    #80 The Bat Outta Hell, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009

Yes, thank god indeed.