"Infraction" - pathetic and insulting policy

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by istara, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JTHM87

JTHM87 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Auto Finance
    King of Prussia, PA
    The problem with things like that is that one must remember the internet is filled with people who don't care about other people's feelings. Making posts in a public forum (be it a lounge or not) about something so personal is very risky unless the forum is dedicated to the subject matter. A better way of going about what she did would have been to Twitter, LiveJournal, or even place it in her Sig. Starting a whole thread just attracts the forum stalkers and they can't help but +1 their post count by chiming in.

That being said I also think it's a weird thread. :(

About the WoW Funeral thing....they picked a PVP zone. They seriously were asking for it by having the E-funeral there. The Temple of Elune in Darnassus is pretty enough so why not have it there where flocks of horde are less likely to barge in? Pretty silly if you ask me.

To be a little more back on topic, though I suppose the whole Candythread incident pertains to infractions in a way.... Why not copy/paste at least *SOME* of the content from the page you set up and then direct people to the link in your signature if they want to see more of it? Maybe that isn't allowed either I don't know. It's a great thing that communities like this prohibit things like that because it would get out of hand so fast. Who do you approve/deny? What's the grey area? Better to just disallow it entirely.

2. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    I don't think infraction points are preschool... I think they're organized and logical, the same system is used in most workplaces. If you do something wrong, you get a certain number of points depending upon how severe the infraction was. If you mess up enough and get enough points you'll be fired.

3. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Can someone explain to me the WOW funeral thingie? I saw part of the video but I still don't get it (have never played it).

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

We don't even use the points system here. I think Vbulletin can be configured to have points automatically expire after a certain amount of time and if you exceed a certain amount of points you get banned. Not sure, the system doesn't make sense.

Infractions on Touch Arcade are just a quick and easy way to say "Hey! Don't do this!" When we hit this button [​IMG] all it does is copy your post in to a PM without need to do the extra work of finding the link to your post, copying it, pasting it, and then doing the same with the post content.

It's just a shortcut.

The best way to never deal with the infraction system, or have to worry about the consequences is to simply follow the rules!

5. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    So are you saying infractions count even if they're expired? We could get banned for many expired infractions, then doing one more?

6. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=8910

I think it was locked also because of her reaction to people criticizing her. It ended up in a big flame war, which led to her reporting all of them against her poem =/

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

There isn't any rule set in stone where X infractions result in a ban. It's on a case by case basis. If you have a consistent history of getting infractions for harassing people for instance, you should probably consider not doing that anymore if you value your Touch Arcade membership.

Like I said though, best way to not have to worry about it is by just following the rules.

8. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    #48 Booch138, Jun 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
    Yeah I quit posting in gamefaqs.com. F*ck them. Their boards blow anyways.

Yeah this site and gametrailers.com are both pretty lenient (with the exception of GT.com, which hardly has any rules =P) So I post both here and there.

GatorDeb: Can someone explain to me the WOW funeral thingie? I saw part of the video but I still don't get it (have never played it).

Long story short: There are 2 factions, Alliance and Horde. There are 3 types of servers, PvP (Neutral Area's are free reign to kill people in) PvE (Neutral Area's can be accessed without worrying about people killing you, unless you red flag yourself) and Role Playing, which is just... well everyone is happy there. rofl.

A Woman had a guild on the Horde faction, and was pretty high up in it, or at least a regular active member of the guild. She passed away, so her guildies decided to have a little memorial for her in a Neutral Zone that she fished and hung out a lot at. They are on a PvP server. The guildies posted on the WoW.com forums about the time and date of when the services will be held. People, including thier opposing faction the Alliance, caught wind of the services and decided to crash it, and by that I mean going and killing everyone lined up at the 'services'. Not only crash it, but they recorded it. Yes, it was bound to happen, and yes it was stupid that it was in a Neutral Zone, but I seriously felt morally struck by that. I don't know what it was, but I guess it was a combo of the disaster that took place, and the fact that everyone was laughing about it.

Like I said, I know that it was bound to happen, and I know that they could have picked a place of their own faction, so no one could f*ck with them. But still, call me a hippy or whatever, but it's the fact that there was enough people gathered to have the indecency to F*ck with a funeral? I'm thinkin about getting all the info I can on them, killing them in RL, and crashing their funeral. I bet that would be EPICWINROFLLULZ. F*cking assholes. Humans really do make me sick. Especially ones on the internet.

Now I may not be the nicest person, and my humor is VERY VERY crude (You know, dead baby jokes, racism, things that "cross the line", etc. it all makes me laugh) But when it comes to ****ing with someone who is actually dead IRL, at least give the deceased, and the ones who knew them at least 5 minutes of respect. And that means a funeral, if even on a f*cking video game, and even if it's silly. At least give them that. That's one more thing that would just make the people who are ALREADY GRIEVING worse.

Hope that helps GatorDeb, and sorry for the one-sided opinion. Few things irk me that bad, but that thing was one of them.

9. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Thanks for the explanation :D

But if there existed a server where you couldn't kill on a neutral area, why not just hold it there? :confused:

10. Best thing I've ever seen on wow and done it myself since it ain't illegal is get about 5 or so horde into IronForge. Soon enough there'll be 25+ alliance trying to kill em. They never will kill them (ok once or twice but that's it) cuz hop on my alliance priest with my druid healing buddy. I mind control the horde (I'm a traitor and so is my buddy) who is about to die and my druid buddy heals him. When mind controled nobody can do jack squat but sit there and watch him get fully healed. Spam a gm all you want cuz it ain't illegal and it's in the spirit of pvp. Never knew what happened to Candy till just now. Good thing I don't visit the lounge all that often.

11. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I find it ironic that you laugh at dead baby jokes...

12. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    You still don't get my motive - or rather, my lack of motive.

"Driving traffic" to a site implies some kind of commercial aim. I created the (ad-free) page solely as a resource. I thought about doing it on Wikipedia, but I didn't think that "iphone rpgs" would be an appropriate single-page topic for Wikipedia.

Let's assume it had been, and I wrote exactly the same list on Wikipedia, and posted that link here: would that have been wrong? Would I have received an infraction for posting a Wikipedia page that I had personally created?

I have no clue how many people may or may not visit my list. There is no stat counter on it (you can look at the code yourself) I only know that one person has visited because they commented, and I used their comment to expand the list. If it was a vanity project I could have put it in my signature by now: as you can see, I haven't even bothered to do that. All I posted was just a one off alert to people that a specific genre list of games was now available if they wanted it.

This site - Touch Arcade - is about "keeping you in touch with the latest in iPhone gaming". That's entirely what my list was about - except it was specifically RPGs.

13. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

as long as the link you are posting is not a link to YOUR site, then it is fine, if you are the owner of wikipedia, then no you can not. if it is not yours, then post away. youtube, wikipedia. etc are all fine. you can not drive traffic to your own site regardless of topic, or content.

14. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I understand exactly what you are saying. The problem is that not everyone has good intentions like you do. So it will have to be policed in some way. Who has time to do that? And if you want to be the exception to the rule...what happens when the next person wants to be the exception...and the next person....and the next? Try to look at the big picture here.

15. Crypton

Crypton Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    You cannot switch realms (servers) in WoW that easily. You have to pay (in real money) to Blizzard to do that. The only thing they could have done is create new chracters on a new realm. But that would mean start from scratch and grinding, grinding.... Boy, I'm glad I got rid of my WoW-addiction... at least I pretend to be :eek:

16. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Doesn't stop it being a stupid and illogical rule. If I really wanted to spam, I could (1) claim it was a link I'd "just stumbled across" and/or (2) set up about ten fake accounts on here posting the link all over the place.

The honesty makes it more legitimate, in my opinon. Everything I wrote was honest and accurate and not in any way misleading (though that thread got deleted, so you only have my word for that).

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Do you realize over half your posts since you registered here have consisted of complaining about the rules?

18. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    First of all, I have no idea why I just read through this entire thread. I must be really bored at work. Second of all, and I may be totally missing something here, but why wouldn't you just create that list in a thread here on TA?

19. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    He does not want to give his work out for free.

20. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Oh, ummmm, ok. But... the OP is not receiving money from people visiting the site he DID post it on (according to him) so I'm still not so sure I understand. Bah, I'll stop trying to figure this out, it makes my brain hurt. I really don't understand some of the things people complain about though. This whole things seems like not a big deal, but that's just me.