"Infraction" - pathetic and insulting policy

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by istara, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    See the bigger picture.
    You have a rule that says You can or You cannot. It's very simple to read, it's very simple to police.

As soon as you start judging the rules fail. Where does a personal site become an affiliate site? How many ads on that site are okay? Will the site content be changed but links remain? How many posts do we then have saying "Hey, I made a great list!"? Arn and others do not need the hassle and neither do we as forum users. So it's a solid rule and if you do not like this find another site to go play in. I enforce similar rules on another site and they have to exist, they have to be policed and they have to be consistent. Sure Arn would like traffic to stay here (and why not, his hard work should not be leeched) but he is doing this as much for the readers. This is a quality site and it should remain so.

What you are failing to realise is that by posting such information and being helpful and constructive then you would both be seen as valuable and you would then get traffic to the sites in your sig.

But if all you want to do is complain, go find somewhere else.

2. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

here's the thing, i'm a guest on this site, you are too. when you make a site that people actually want to go to, then you can make your own stupid rules. until then you are guest here and do what the rules clearly state. it's more work for the mods to go through every post and verify each site is a good site, so it's much easier to just say no sites. the fact that you do not get this worries me.

3. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Ohhh how do I check my infraction count?? I hope I have some good ones!!

4. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I see both sides to this but unfortunately I am going to agree with the OP. Though I do admit that rules are rules, rules preventing another user from actually posting helpful user information (especially when the site itself has no such thing) is pretty lame. Though it would be a hinder on the mods to monitor these types of things, and I am sure that's why they disallow it, a little time spent on forum goer's work shouldn't nessisarily go unnoticed. However, one thing I will disagree with on the OP, is b*tching about the situation. Though you have every intent on making this a helpful resource to us gamers, this is a free site, and you are a guest, and have to follow the rules as such. They do allow you to post it in your sig, so why not do that? That's a really simple way around it, or you could even post the information on the thread. Though it's not what you wanted, it would still get the information, which you want us to see, into the thread. Problem solved. Like I said, I see both views, but unfortunately rules are rules. Expect an email from me though, I would like to check it out. Thanks buddy,

Booch138

5. Thorero

Thorero Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Graphic Designer, 3D Modeller, Web Design
    Portugal
    Booch138, I have to say, this is the most logical post I've seen on this subject. Thank you for bringing a balance of normality.

6. JTHM87

JTHM87 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Auto Finance
    King of Prussia, PA
    I was wondering what went down while reading this thread..... Thanks for the clarification. That's gotta be a rule somewhere in the "How to Internets" handbook. Never ever post about someone dying and expect people from the net to give a crap and not make fun it you for it. Ever see the WoW Funeral that got crashed? Classic stuff right there. If you need people to help you during the grief process, seek friends/family not e-people.

7. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

the funeral still isn't as good as this:

atleast I have chicken!

8. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Bleh, what can I say. I am a democrat >.> I don't like both sides to go unnoticed, but still get my views across ;)

9. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    #29 Booch138, Jun 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
    I don't know. Normally I find that kind of stuff funny, but that funeral thing was kind of f*cked up no matter how you look at it. Yeah it's said that you don't go looking for support like that over the internet, but what people need to remember is that it completely alienates those who did know her and really tried to get something like that going. Not everyone would have been able to attend her RL funeral... Though it may not be the most contructive way to do it, at least she had friends/E-Friends and people who cared to try, and WoW just happened to be the way they wanted to do it. And as far as E-Friends go, there is nothing wrong with them, everyone has them. It's just sad when ALL of your friends are E-Friends. I mean yeah, that guild should have expected it coming, but come on... respect the dead... if even for just 5 f*cking minutes.

I don't know the whole story about the chick on here who posted about her deceased sister or whatever, but that doesn't make her wrong. She lost someone... have some f*cking sympathy, of course she's going to talk mad sh!t to those that give her flak. Though I don't agree with her using TA as the grieving point, and I don't think it was wrong for TA to take the action they did (After all... no one really wants to read that) but the WoW one I can sympathize, only because I lost an E-Friend who passed away. Never met him, never knew him, and never talked to him outside of Guild Chat and Ventrillo, but that doesn't mean I won't pay some respect.

10. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

May 2, 2009
    From reading this, my first instinct is to conclude that you are either the same person as istara, or his roommate, or sister, or something.

Am I wrong?

11. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Yeah it was kind of pointless me ranting about it, but I just felt like blowing off steam. I think that the rules of any community should serve that community, not be so absolute that they act against its interests.

I've modded communities before, and I've experienced the reams of spam and trolling and shit that goes on. I know it's not easy. You want people to have freedoms, but you end up making rules. But sometimes something comes up that needs a rule bend, or a rule reassessment. It might be someone wanting to advertise a charity drive that is really relevant to that community, even though ads aren't usually allowed in that community. It might be someone wanting to post an off-topic subject that is really critical and of interest to a lot of members of that community, like the funeral of a former, highly active member.

The point is you don't know until it happens, because it's a new situation. So instead of trying to use your existing rules to see how you can block it, you see how you can instead accommodate it.

Infraction points though: that's just another story. That is really pre-school, hall-monitor style modding. Infantile stuff.

12. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    What you're talking about makes sense for smaller communities, like a Guild forum or a Facebook group. That being said, sometimes exceptions can and should be made for certain situations. I don't think being able to put up a link that drives traffic to a site is one of them though, no matter how useful the information might be. There's already spam attacks with people putting up malicious and/or inappropriate links here. Can you imagine how difficult it would be for the mods to have to monitor each and every link? Not to mention all the judgement calls that would have to be made on what's appropriate and what's not, and then all the complaints from the people who feel that their inappropriate links should be considered appropriate, etc?

13. Thorero

Thorero Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Graphic Designer, 3D Modeller, Web Design
    Portugal

Yep, Wrong. I joined back in 11-14-2008. istara joined in 03-10-2009. Now seeing as I have no interest whatsoever in RPGs, hence, I wouldn't be the sort to create a list of 'em.

I'm not too sure where istara's located, but I'm pretty sure he isn't in the southern tip of Spain.

And what would make you think I'm female?

14. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I wouldn't be so upset about "infraction points". Isn't it just a standardized warning system? You didn't know the rules, and now you do. It's OK. Maybe you should have PMed a mod or written a less inflammatory post in this section. I happen to think your intention was benign, but this particular policy is legit and necessary.

In the end, it's not really a big deal. I'm sorry you feel insulted. I've been "warned" at another forum for "responding to a troll". Honestly, it pissed me off. But they have rules about stuff like that. You choose to participate in certain forums, and you agree to abide by their rules. What can you do?

15. Yagami_Light

Yagami_Light Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I don't know. This is the most lenient message board that I have ever been on. I used to go on GameFAQs a lot, and they are freakin' fascists over there. They will moderate you for ANYTHING that you say, sometimes for no reason. If they don't agree with your opinion, you get moderated.

This site pwns most other sites.

16. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Where do you see infraction points???

17. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't think you can see them if you don't have any. You get them in a private message. I'm not sure what a standard account looks like exactly with an infraction.

But you do not have any le'deuche123.

18. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Go to your profile and if you have any you will see a "infractions' button. I think only mods/admins and the user itself can see those though.

I have 4, one was bogus, and one I can explain.

19. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Wow I'm slightly shocked that I have none....not that I'm complaining, but I thought I caused way more trouble than that....perhaps I'm not as evil as I thought:(

20. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Woman, not chick ;)

The thread was just a very short poem saying how much she missed her sister. That's it. Didn't bother me. And it was in the Lounge. But people started posting that it should be locked and how inappropriate it was, and it was locked. I don't think it was locked because it was inappropriate, but because of the replies someone was bound to get their feelings hurt.