iPhone Infinity Blade: Dungeons [Cancelled]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Epic owns not just the Infinity Blade brand and content, but also all of the code that Impossible Studios developed for the game up to this point. They paid for all of that work, after all.

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Well, if you honestly don't have a problem with having to pay for cheats, hours of grinding and watching ads to get in game items (or of course you can buy an IAP) then enjoy.

I really, really don't. I'd rather pay for a game upfront than be nitpicked for cash all the way through and just pay to win. How would Skyrim be is there were dual currencies? Wouldn't Bioshock be awful with banner ads? How about paying $.99 to get full ammo in Dead Space? It totally kills those games (and what's more cheats are free and done with cheat codes, no paying BS).

3. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    As I understand it, your argument is that some games have IAP that you don't like, therefore IAP is bad in all games. This is flawed logic, it's neither valid deductively nor inductively.

4. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I said I didn't like freemium.

I have no problem paying for new content.

5. Too bad really, was hoping this would come soon, but anyway, I got a long que of rpg action games like Bastion, Lili, Horn, Wild Blood, Orc Vengeance, Ku, Wraithbourne, etc, so I guess I can wait 6 more months.

6. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    Totally called it.

Shit devs failed and went bankrupt once.

They did it to us/Epic again.

7. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    zzz you realize the reason why the studio closed down wasn't the fault of the developers right?

8. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Lawl. I guess you could say that the studio lived up to their name... as it's now impossible for them to complete this game!

HAHAHAHA. God I am so clever. It's disgusting how clever I am.

9. 2133

2133 Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Student
    Indonesia
    So, this ain't coming out? :(

10. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Not any time soon, if ever no.

But did you expect it to? :p

11. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    #671 DaviddesJ, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    Whose fault do you think it was? They failed to produce a product that met expectations. I'm pretty sure Epic didn't spend millions of dollars on this intending to shut it down.

12. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Is "freemium" the same as "free-to-play"? That's what we were actually discussing. I don't know what you consider to be "freemium".

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I tend to mentally loop the two into the same category, yes.

Why, is there an actual difference? I was under the impression that they were essentially synonyms.

14. underage17

underage17 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    #674 underage17, Feb 11, 2013
    Is freemium an actual term? I haven't heard of it outside TA.. I always thought f2p was more appropriate, or rather, more known

As for the game, I'm really disappointed :/
    This game was partially the reason why I bought the ipad
    Considering the amount of time they out into this, and the fact that they previewed it almost a year ago, isnt it safe to say that the game is in its final stage of completion? Why would they scrap it now?

15. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #675 Rip73, Feb 11, 2013
    F2P would be the official term.
    Freemium is meant to be a description that describes a premium app that is free. It just applies to apps, not the wider gaming platforms. It really only has usage in App Store terms.
    And it has taken on a, lets say for the sake of politeness, less positive image. :)

Edit. It's only a contextual, colloquial if you like, definition.
    I was contextualising to its current commonly perceived usage.
    We all know the term (as just about any term) has wider usages in different areas. I just thought it might be more useful (as iOS games are the primary focus of this forum) to limit it to that area.

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #676 Ayjona, Feb 11, 2013
    Not quite. The phrase seems to have been in use since 2006, and for different kinds of software, from anti-virus to web services (and does indeed seem to apply to any kind of service where the actual business model behind the phrase applies).

But yeah, it definitively has a very particular connotation in the iOS (and smartphone) world, and sees a much wider use among us in the smart-phony population ;)

These days, it would seem to me that gaming press use f2p and freemium monikers with similar frequencies, but I doubt there is any officiality to either term.

As far as I understand (probably not very far ;) ), the game is not actually scrapped, just put on hold indefinitively. And while that defitively sounds ominous and one short step away from absolutely hopeless ;) , games have returned from that dark pit before.

17. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Actually, freemium can apply to any platform, and it's technically not exactly the same as F2P. The official definition of freemium (if you could call it that) is that it's a game that's free in which a player can unlock premium aspects by paying for them. For example, a "lite" version of a game that allows you to unlock the full game by paying.

F2P on the other hand usually refers to free fully featured games that contain microtransactions (IAP for items) that provide the player with access to individual premium items or features (like better weapons). F2P games don't usually close off a large part of the game to be available only for paying players as freemium games sometimes do.

There's a lot of crossover though, and F2P could be considered a subset of freemium. Many people use the terms interchangeably. But yeah, freemium seems to have acquired a negative connotation on TA and elsewhere, whereas F2P I think has been able to avoid that stigma.

18. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    F2P is pretty much the sole term used in the MMO and web game areas of the industry, by both developers and press (and largely by users too). Freemium is rarely used there, but it seems to be the more dominant term in the mobile genre by both press and users. Not sure about other developers, but we use F2P - it sounds better and doesn't have the stigma.

19. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    To me, freemium suggests the "cash for power" MMO style game, while F2P suggests a game that's not designed to punish you for not spending money.

20. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Yeah, that's precisely the stigma freemium has acquired, but in actuality, those terms don't indicate that difference in mechanics. There are essentially three ways to spend money in a free game - to become more powerful, to progress more quickly, or to unlock content. Most games only have one or two of these. F2P MMOs and web games tend to focus on the first two, social games usually focus on the second one, and P2P (Western) MMOs usually focus on the third (though sometimes the first too).