Infinity Blade - by Epic Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyoHazuki

RyoHazuki Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    UK
    What do you mean? what was the problem previously?

As for framerate stuttering not that it bothers me but is it worth buying an iPhone 4, I'm on a 3G at the moment on a payG device so is it worth it or better to hold of for the 5 or next gen?

2. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #22 arta, Sep 2, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
    Posting this for guys like squarezero and JoshCM. Lengthy interview. Think you might be interested.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30223/Interview_Epics_Capps_On_Bringing_Hardcore_Flavor_To_iOS.php

3. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Yes - it is certainly interesting.
    Plunging into it right now more than halfway into the development of our other games would be a 'release date killer' though - so we need to stick to our guns to get our games out in time.
    We can think about it after these are done.

4. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Continued.

5. Mudkipz223

Mudkipz223 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Atlantis
    Wow, I can't wait for this! I played Epic Citadel on my iPhone 4, and it was amazing. This seems like it will be great when used with the multiplayer aspect of Gamecenter.

6. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #26 dumaz1000, Sep 2, 2010
    And then what? Sell them for .99c
    Did you ever consider how much games like this are going to cost? You don't honestly believe you are going to get high-end Unreal Engine games for 6.99 or less, do you? It ain't happening. Especially for any devs or companies who would dare to obtain the rights from Epic to use this engine. We are talking about truly premium titles here. I cannot imagine these games, if fully-featured and developed, will sell at a price point that is less than 19.99.

7. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Oh I wasn't implying you should switch, just that you and Squarezero are the type of posters to delve into a lengthy article like that.

8. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Well this engine is certainly a game changer - brings AAA quality to the iPhone basically. Its in our best interest to look into it.

9. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    You don't need to tell them, the interview hinted that they probably have started already!

10. Unholy3000

Unholy3000 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    #30 Unholy3000, Sep 2, 2010
    For those of you who were curious about how it runs on the iPhone 3GS. I'm not experiencing any lag or glitching what so ever! Runs and feels beautiful, extremely smooth. It does take up majority of your memory tho so don't plan on multitasking with this one. Running only Epic citadel with airplane mode turned on i have 28mb of available memory.

I have to say this is truly amazing, and even tho it's just tech demo it's worth checking it out. But i bet it really drains the battery, so I'm curious to how they'll pull this off.

11. xBLAGDARFx

xBLAGDARFx Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    was there any news on the ipod touch 4g? i have a 2g and want to upgrade, but not to 3g if 4g is right around the corner

12. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Super excited for this after trying Citadel.

13. KRAVEN

KRAVEN Member

Aug 31, 2010
    I really have to buy iPhone4 :)

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    You definitely read me right -- I'm very interested in the behind-the-scenes going on with this announcement.

15. cubytes

cubytes Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    holy effin WOW!! the graphics look absolutely gorgeous :)

nice to see:
    -gesture based combat interactions taken seriously :)
    -and dynamic control (both swipe and VJ for look) in action

general questions:
    -will this be based primarily around P2P combat?
    -or will there be npc enemies?
    -always 1 on 1? or multiple enemies in a single battle?
    -will there be quests? with a story that unfolds...

combat questions:
    -turn based? with an AP meter that depletes every time you do an action
    -or real time?
    -will there be magic/spells in addition to the melee attacks?
    -will you be able to use items in combat?
    -will there be a party? or perhaps an NPC pet that fights along side with you?

as for me the graphics look great and all but im more excited about the gesture based combat interactions then anything. when i saw the demo i was like "yup thats whats up"

i have already thought about how gesture based interactions could be used for combat in a wide range of perspective as a primary control scheme and a sub control scheme

from the looks of it:
    -swipes (up, down, left and right) are going to be quick attacks
    -i think the left/right arrows at the bottom are for dodging (not sure)

idk how the "foot in the face" worked he said "drag and drop" but maybe its:
    -tap hold swipe (for strong attacks) very similar to drag and drop..
    -context sensitive QTE when enemy is stunned drag one of the skills that appear as mini icons onto your opponent perhaps?
    -or maybe it was just a common attack from a swipe
    -or a skill (persistent skill icons on the screen) that you drag and drop onto your enemy

idk....

16. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ipod+touch+4g

17. MICHAELSD

MICHAELSD Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    A few weeks after I'm thinking that Unity wasn't worth developing games in currently (and paying a license fee to release any games), Unreal Engine 3 is released for free. I've been working on so many projects lately, but maybe I should open that Objective C eBook again and continue the lessons :D.

18. frendil

frendil Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    New Zealand!!
    since when did gameloft sell a quality game for .99 to begin with? The always start out at at least 6.99 and why wouldnt they dare to obtain the rights to the engine? Its free for all devs. Although 6.99 per game is small, the amount of units they would sell (if they did it right and didnt pull a usual gameloft using shortcuts) would more than make up for the low price, even at 9.99 to say 14.99. Also, even though the engine is console quality, doesnt mean the games would be, length, story, production values etc. The fact is this is an undiscovered market for the iphone and sooner or later a dev is going to gamble and release a game using this. Until then we will not know if true high end games for a decent price will sell on the iphone, but this is a positive move to suggest they will.

19. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Well I was playing with Wi-Fi and Push notifications on. The werid sort of stuttering when looking arround didn't seem to be because of a low framerate.

20. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Looks like all they cared was to push Adobe away from iPhone. Dont think they ever had the intention to block every middleware out there.