Infinite Surf - Follow up game to Cubed Rally Racer

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by nocanwin, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nocanwin

nocanwin Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    #1 nocanwin, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
    Does follow up mean the next in a series or is it just my next game? Oh well

[hqyoutube]GzH9XKh1iY4[/hqyoutube]

I grew up in the Midwest dreaming about surfing and wondering what it was like. Since I've been lucky to live near the ocean and surf for most of my professional life I thought I would try and show what it's like in my medium of choice... a game! :)

Infinite Surf (IS) is a very casual tilt surfing game based on the endless runner mechanic. It's going to launch it at 99 cents and you can buy coins with IAP, but they definitely not necessary and they're easy to earn! It'll also be universal.

In most endless games picking up the coins are optional, but in IS missed coins count against your stability. You can only miss a certain amount of coins based on the board you have. So with a longboard, which are more stable boards, you can miss up to 3, but with a shortboard you can only miss one. Once your stability is lost you wipeout and the game is over. The boards have other properties, like how long/deep they stay in the barrel, how many points you can get doing a power turn and how long a free surf, ie. magnet, will last. If you like the look of a board it doesn't mean you are stuck bad stats. Board stats can be upgraded before each game using coins.

The other unique thing I did, to make this game very casual, is allow the player to choose how fast they want to go. Most endless runners will ramp up more and more as you play, and you eventually hit a wall, but surfing isn't like that. There are all sorts of abilities out in the water, from the little kids surfing for the first time, to the pros chasing huge waves. I wanted to make the game very accessible so with this mechanic the game can be as relaxing or as intense as you want it to be. If you want to glide along, collecting points and coins all day at the x1 multiplier you can. The game won't stop you. Of course you wont get as many as if you're at multiplier x8 and your abilities won't be as challenged.

For the art style my goal was to make the game more like an interactive painting. Surfers get to see the ocean from a unique perspective and I wanted to try and capture that.

I really just wanted to make a game felt similar to surfing. The ones I've played end up being more like skate boarding games on top of wave meshes. No sharks to ollie in IS.

I just submitted today so it should be out in the next couple of weeks. I should have the trailer out soon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What about Cubed? If anyone cares. Long story short, I had to stop working on it because my former employer didn't like me working on personal projects and made me sign contract saying I'd stop. I'm no longer there and am now a full time indie developer. I've got some ideas for a new version of CRR and it's going to be the follow up game to this one.

Cheers!

2. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I really enjoyed cubed rally racer.
    If this is half as good it'll be worth picking up.

3. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    thanks Nobunaga! This is a very different game, but I hope you like it.

4. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Love good surfing games! Hope this one of them! Will keep an eye out for this one! When will it be released?

5. Estupendo1

Estupendo1 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Looks incredible...

But I usually am not enjoying tilt-control games. Maybe this one will be an exception?

6. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    @bigrand1 I hope it's a good one too. I've submitted it to Apple so hopefully the next week or two!

@Estupendo1 I don't usually enjoy them either, so I've worked really hard to try and make them great. All the play testings have gone really well. From little kids to adults that never play games. Not one complaint about the controls. Cubed Rally Racer made me very sensitive to control feedback :)

7. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    #7 nocanwin, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
    added teaser

video is up

8. Estupendo1

Feb 10, 2012
    Teaser is promising. Especially like the fact you can choose the intensity from the OP description.

I'm actually not a fan of endless runner (or tower defence) games, as I like freedom to move how I like, but maybe the surfing will turn out differently? Possibly you if the game is successful a "free-form" mode could be added for the player to "improvise" as they play; with different types of waves?? :)

Hope this title does well! The aesthetic is 10/10.

9. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I agree, and like your 'free-form' idea too! :)

10. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    10/10! I love it! :D

Tell me more about your "free-form" idea. It's a little like that now. Pickups are optional, so if you don't want to get barreled you don't have to. If you don't want to pickup the next multiplier you don't have to. It's all up to you. You can chill at x1 and pickup coins all day long! :)

11. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    I updated the environment so it now scrolls by. A number of people complained that it looked strange. I guess I'd been staring at the art for too long and became blind to it. It'll be in for the release! :)

12. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    [hqyoutube]_wKbdIOclME[/hqyoutube]

13. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    updated the trailer to include the scrolling environment.

14. Estupendo1

Feb 10, 2012
    That sounds good then. Doubly-good if that's possible.

As for the environment, the left scrolling adds a sense of speed, but atst, I'd think the wave being nearer would 'change' faster and the shore being a larger, further away body would change more slowly... am I messing with your head? Idk!

So both seem to work for me. But I'm more enthused that there is freedom of expression in how the surf-board moves along the waves according to player control. :)

This looks like an ideal game for smart devices and I like particularly how you're aiming to break it down to it's essence.

15. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    Yeah, I was going for more of a sense of speed. The parallax is more interpretation than exact because of the way the game world is setup. I probably overdid it a little. :)

Hopefully the freedom is something that works. You never know until it's in the hands of the players. Trying to bottle "surfing" into a game seems like an impossible task and so many surfing games have failed to get any traction. Hopefully my casual/tilt interpretation works. Wish me luck! I'll need it.

16. Estupendo1

Feb 10, 2012
    What sort of music options, will there be a reference of surf-inspired/appropriate tracks or something (players can use their ipod library)?

G'luck!

17. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    no music, but you can use your ipod library.

thanks for the luck, I'm going to need it!

18. tonydeli7

tonydeli7 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Freelance Computer Engineer
    Greece
    Looking forward to this! It'll hit top 5 for sure..!

Good luck man!

19. nocanwin

Jun 11, 2009
    thanks @tonydeli7

Top 5 would be awesome! Definitely going to need lots of people spreading the word and lots of luck for that. :D