Universal Infinite Cosmos (by Absinthe Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 25, 2015.

1. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Great lil game. Love it!

2. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Just found this and wanted it on my phone, so I snagged the Android version! Thanks for that! Bunch of us here have Android devices too!

3. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I'm glad I purchased this game. It's a lot of fun. The relative touch is fantastic. I like the rogue aspect. I'm glad Game Center is being looked into I want to wallop all you suckers. Lol

Great job dev. Thank you for a game with no IAP and no ads or pay to win.

Billy

4. Thanks!

I wasn't sure what the rules on posting about other platforms are here but yes, we do have an Android version as well and I'm glad you like it :D

Thanks, Billy! I'm glad you are happy with it. I also concur that IAP, ADS and PTW are not preferred. I just hate the intrusiveness of those systems, personally. I just like games that get out of their own way to let me play.

5. planckboy

planckboy Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Wow - thanks for all the kind words everyone! Me and jack are blown away :D
    Really great feedback too - will see what we can do!

Dan (planck)

6. skidz26

skidz26 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    I've spent almost $50 Aus so far on indie games this week but can you blame me when there's great games like this?
    Great soundtrack and gameplay. I would've given it 5 stars if it wasn't for the fact that controlling requires you to
    move your finger all over the screen. If no mfi/iCade support aleast add an onscreen joystick please, nonetheless It's
    Still a great game!

7. planckboy

Oct 8, 2012
    Thanks heaps :) really appreciate what u said. And will see about the little running cutscene! Pretty busy with new things tho - just glad to see people enjoying it.
    And yeah, playing for 5-6 mins you will start to get the hyper modes and the game pace really picks up as u said, glad u got to that point!

8. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

No IAP, no Ads, and no pay to win, plus an active dev in the thread, I'm buying now!!!

9. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Must iterate, gem of a game done rite on all counts. Wld absolutely love to see a portrait option. More and more I like playing games in portrait if at all possible. Cheers. Lots to do and much fun to be found here for a buck!!!!

10. Thanks so much for the great feedback!

We like being active :D It's definitely nice to engage with everyone on every front we can. We like being a part of the community, too! Even our unannounced game for PS4/XO will have an extremely transparent development cycle and even more involvement from the community during the iterative process. We play as much as we create and I can tell you there were plenty of times I would have liked more back and forth with devs from several games I've played - so we aim to keep dialogue open as it's good for everyone.

I can't say it enough - thank you for the feedback!

All of you! It feels good to read and engage with everyone. Especially for our first release this really puts me in a better place mentally and I can't thank everyone enough.

- Jack

11. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Damn those two stupid ships with the red center and exploding things! I dread them every time. Any chance the enemies could be randomized?

12. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Just picked it up to "vote with my wallet" for IAP-free games, and also because of the comments here and the dev participation. Will report back with imps!

13. planckboy

Oct 8, 2012
    Thanks! Looking forward to them ~

Dan

14. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Eat my lightning !

Billy

Attached Files:

15. Enemies are randomized slightly - I'll explain how our spawn system works. It's a mix of procedural and random spawns:

We start the game with your typical fodder type enemies: mini-skull, gnat and tardigrade. As the difficulty curve ramps up we continue to add more enemies to the spawn array to expand it. We look at time since the play session started, current score, multiplier and difficulty level to create a seed for RNG to math against. That dice roll will dictate which enemy spawns next.

When we have a full enemy array after all of them have been introduced, we remove the fodder enemies from the dice roll and introduce spawn weights. When an enemy spawns, we reduce it's weight, reducing its chances to spawn again. I use a "Price Is Right" method of closest roll to without going over. In the event we do roll the same enemy twice, we replace the duplicate spawn with a fodder group. Since the fodder group never is in an active array late in the game it has a 0% chance to spawn again, thus setting off a new seed and resetting spawn weights.

Some enemies like the Skull or Squid start their spawns at lower levels with just 1 enemy in the spawn. Higher difficulties can spawn larger groups of 2 or 3, depending on the difficulty level. The typical fodder enemies, for example, spawn in stacks of 5, 9 or 12, depending on difficulty.

We also lower, just slightly the delay between enemy spawns. Each enemy has their own delay based on type and amount spawned. Difficulties never technically stop increasing, so we do include a hard cap of enemy spawns, but not enemies on screen. If X have been spawned we wait until the screen clears a bit.

As the difficulty level increases, the chance enemies can throw a revenge bullet increase which can be quite fun when fodder swarms start spawning (the huge waves of fodder that fly across the screen) alongside other things that shoot like Skull or Squid. So, it is based on a procedural system with some mild rules but the randomness comes from how the player plays. How quickly they can kill, their points, multipliers, etc. I like tying the math to the player for the RNG as everyone is different and every playthrough is different so the numbers pan out.

We use a similar mildly procedural planet and dust/nebulae spawn system. We have 20+ planets of varying sizes and shapes and 25+ dust/nebulae variants. Planets are not allowed to spawn the same style back to back and larger planets have a small chance to spawn a small moon or smaller planet in its orbit. Dust can spawn at random as they do look quite nice overlapping each other, even if its the same variant - creates a nice effect.

Thanks, Quazonk! We appreciate it!

Ha! Nice grab!

16. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Thank you for that explanation, it makes good sense. I was just griping because those two ships always spawn together and kill me. But I did finally get my first hyper mode. Fun!

17. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Just to have a little stand with this GC-less gem. My highscore is 20,7 millions so far. Need a challenge, so what's yours, please ?

18. I think our top was 76.09m :eek:

That's not me, either :mad:

19. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Maybe they meant to play with the game sideways?

This sounds like a good idea. :)

The lack of a (permanent) wider shot feels alien to me.
    ...I don't know, I just thought I'd mention it. :eek:

20. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Just picked this up, enjoying it very much.