iPad Infinight: A Light-Based Adventure

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Lambdamu, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Georgina

Georgina Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    I found it helped to go fast in the early part of the level -- memorise where the voids are so you can move with just your torch. That gets you ahead of the darkness, and then you can wait for flashes of lightning to navigate the trickier areas.

I was bored waiting for the patch, so I started playing the free play mode. Does that get any more complex/interesting as you go along? It seemed to only have the first area's mechanics (the lightning flashes), and as there were no moving enemies or encroaching darknesses, all I had to do was wait for the lightning to flash and move. I played 26 levels to see if it got any harder and it didn't seem to, so I stopped.

Still hoping to try the multiplayer. There never seems to be anybody on when I'm around.

Cheers.

2. Lambdamu

Lambdamu Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2010
    iPhone Application Developer
    Singapore
    Invite Number42 (the game designer) or sandralogic (internal game tester) to play! They have been saying that they get random invites for the game and are happy to play a few games.

3. Maxime Briand

Maxime Briand Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    The darkness is growing...

Okay, so I'm almost at the end of the third area, the forest... so I've got a pretty good impression on the gameplay... and still enjoying the game as much, if not more now!

I love the atmosphere of the game, when playing with headphones at night it's just... engrossing. You totally forget about the interface and just get right into it... which usually leads me to make stupid moves and rush right into a trap because I want to run. :eek: lol

I also enjoy how subtle yet effective are the survival aspects of the game... especially with the limited amount of "echoes", or the fact that you can survive the red traps once before dying... It's really well-balanced so far.
    Regarding this however, I've noticed that it's sometimes hard to notice that you've been hit by a trap, especially if you're playing with low or no sound. I don't think that adding a "life counter" or any on-screen indication is the solution, but maybe having the effect last just a tiny bit longer, or have an additional color effect would help? It would also impact more on the emotional aspect of it... the fear of the character growing as you get hurt. I don't know, maybe it's just me...

The length of each level, considering trial and error time to learn the traps and how to get through it (but I've noticed that some are random right?), is also quite good, and each offer a short but captivating experience. You can just play a level or two if you don't have time for more... but usually you just end up wanting to play some more! The first area, the hospital, while it may be lacking some challenge, makes up for it with its atmosphere and settings. For me, the challenge really started near the middle of the second area, the city streets, and has been ranking up at a nice pace since then. Now I can't wait for the update, I'm trying to hold off on making it to the dreaded level 35 until I know I can get further into the game!

As for the free mode, I've gotten through a few levels, and I would also enjoy additional challenge, i.e. different types of traps. Now, it's more of an endurance challenge, but as long as you're patient and move slowly, it would seem that you could get through a near-infinite amount of levels. More on that when I get further into the game and encounter more traps (like the yellow voids that I've had a glimpse of in an earlier level I think)... Other ways to spice things up could be to have time limitations, or a limited amount of moves?

And what are your plans for future updates... any additional content in mind? While I'm not sure how the story turns out near the end, could either an additional world, or some previous levels revisited with new traps/a side-story with another character, work with where the story is heading? Or even revisiting the levels with additional time-based challenges could be fun. With the way the game is built, if you're open to user-generated content, a level-generator (I understand how much work would be needed to implement such a feature though) would also be an awesome improvement to the game... but I guess I'm dreaming now.

I'll try to edit this or add some feedback when I get to the next worlds!

4. Lambdamu

Apr 19, 2010
    Singapore
    Thanks Maxime for the positive comments!

Its actually interesting that you asked for 'lives' to be more prominently displayed. The lives was only added in during the last few days after receiving feedback from testers that the game was way too unforgiving.

We definitely have more plans for infinight! And i'm sure you'll like some of them. But we really can't say at the moment until we get something concrete (we are preparing the launch of 2 more titles ><).

On another note, i noticed that "slimlinegames" voted 1 star for our game on this thread. If you see this, we would love it if you gave us some feedback!

PS: Everything that we have submitted to the AppStore last week is either currently In Review or has been launched. Everything... except Infinight :mad:.

5. Maxime Briand

Maxime Briand Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    As I said, the last I'd like to see is a "life counter" with icons or something... the UI doesn't need that, that would only hurt the atmosphere and design of the game. But maybe there's something else to do to improve the effect there! I also think that the fact that the first traps allow you to take one hit before dying, then having more unforgiving traps later fits quite well with the whole "survival" aspect of the game, which makes you encounter more difficult traps as you progress, but also gives you more ways to survive and avoid those traps. :)

Can't wait!

6. Serian

Serian Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Grrr...want update to continue playing!! Hopefully it is available soon. I check pretty frequently hoping! :)

7. Lambdamu

Apr 19, 2010
    Singapore
    Patch is out!!

The patch for Infinight is out!!

Here are some of the fixes we made:
    - Added Multi-Touch Support (increases movement responsiveness)
    - Fixed a very rare crash occuring during Free Play Mode
    - Fixed a texturing bug in Campaign Mode
    - Fixed a Game Center Orientation Error
    - Fixed a rare bug with Multiplayer, causing the game to crash.
    - Fixed the dreaded Butterfly Effect bug. Play on!!

8. Serian

Serian Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Yes! Finally!

9. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    umm, why does the character look like an arse, complete with pubic hair? is this intentional?

10. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Cool game _ I already bought it. Im just getting started though (too many games, not enough time !)

11. Lambdamu

Apr 19, 2010
    Singapore
    No. Gawd. No. Not at all :rolleyes:

12. maddav

maddav Member

Feb 4, 2011
    #92 maddav, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
    So I completed it earlier today (rest of post is mildly spoilerific in white) and whilst I thought it was very enjoyable on the whole, the room memory stuff got a bit repetitive toward the end. Also, the "ending" is a bit meh, I know it's "to be continued" but it didn't really feel like a chapter ending, for comparison I've been playing World of Goo today and the way that handles the chapters and the progression is very impressive. Nonetheless a good game, nice and atmospheric and I look forward to playing it again.

edit: and of course I got all the tapes :p

13. Lambdamu

Apr 19, 2010
    Singapore
    wow nice. you've actually collected all the tapes!

Minor spoiler comments in white:
    i guess the reason for the ending is because we definitely are looking to continuously add levels to wrap up the storyline. we've also been actively collecting feedback to tweak the gameplay experience.

thanks again for the comments!

14. LucianOrb

LucianOrb Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Brazil
    Just finished it with all the tapes.

Excellent game, just hope you clear the story up in the next updates/sequels, as it is a bit confusing (though intriguing) right now.

15. Lambdamu

Apr 19, 2010
    Singapore
    Lite Version is out!!

Hi guys! Just a quick update.

The lite version is out for those of you who were sitting on the fence on getting Infinight.

Also, the universal update is coming along well and should be submitted by the end of the week.

Finally, we will definitely be working on the finishing up the story. We've just finished game design discussions and will hopefully move into production very soon!

16. Serian

Serian Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Finished this up last night with all tapes collected. The story is definitely intriguing and kept me going to keep learning more. There was one tape that seemed like it might have been missing a word, but not a big deal. Highly recommended overall!

The last 5 or so levels become really challenging. I think the controls need a little tweaking as I would be tapping on the d-pad and it wasn't registering. I had several deaths because of this. It wasn't major, but it was a little frustrating. It also seemed to take a while to get rid of "Remember" messages and sometimes my taps would make them disappear and sometimes it took a few.

If possible I would love to see the heroine be a little more detailed and animated. She is a bit wooden at the moment.

Looking forward to the continuation of the story!

17. maddav

maddav Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Good news!

18. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Great news, been waiting for a universal update!

19. Lambdamu

Apr 19, 2010
    Singapore
    Infinight Universal is out!

As part of our APRIL FOUR THE WIN! Campaign from LambdaMu Games, we're really excited to announce the arrival of Infinight - UNIVERSAL.

It also comes with much sharper graphics (to really cut your eyes out) and some insignificant tweaks that are barely worth mentioning.

Check out our facebook page (click here) 4 more details on our 4 major events planned (and accompanying competitions) 4 the month of April.

APRIL FOUR THE WIN!

20. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    My condolences to your youngest programmer!