iPad Infinight: A Light-Based Adventure

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Lambdamu, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Lambdamu

Lambdamu Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2010
    iPhone Application Developer
    Singapore
    Multiplayer Explanation

Yes of course :)

When you connect to another player, the game randomly assigns each player a role. You can either be a "Chaser" or a "Runner".

As a "Runner", your goal is to reach the Exit in a level.
    As a "Chaser", your goal is to catch (i.e. tag) the runner before he reaches the exit.

There are always two exits that are spawned close to each other. This is done to prevent Chasers from camping.

There are 3 different multiplayer maps and they always spawn in sequence. The availability of light in each map is controlled differently. The 3 maps are as such:

Map 1: The hospital, random lightning flashes.
    Map 2: The city, 'flashpoints' are located throughout the map.
    Map 3: The facility, you have to pickup 'echos' to flash.

As such, each map will have different and unique strategies for each roles. For example, in Map 2, chasers love to sit on a flashpoint and wait for a runner to pass by before catching them.

After each game, your roles will be swapped with the other player. You will be given the option to rematch with that particular player indefinitely.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

2. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    On the fence;

-is it creepy?
    -does it get boring after a few levels?

3. Georgina

Georgina Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    Game Impressions

Infinight is a terrific little game. I've been playing for about an hour so far, and am having a lot of fun tiptoeing around in the dark. I also really like the area select screen with the buildings/areas that light up as you go. The whole game has a level of polish that makes it a pleasure to play.

I definitely agree about not calling it a platform game, because that suggests to me twitch reflexes. I'm awful at that kind of thing, so I never would've given this a second look if not for the nice review on the TA front page. An adventure, or even a puzzle-adventure, sounds more accurate.

Any idea when the bug fix will hit?

On preview: Stan, I would say it's creepy, but not heart-thuddingly so. More atmospheric than anything. Each new area has new mechanics which have been keeping the gameplay fresh for me so far, and I am inclined to get bored with this kind of thing. (For comparison, I never got very far into Block Rogue or Cat Physics.) If you like polished little puzzlers, you could do worse than to pick up this one.

Cheers.

4. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    Damn this game is great.
    I love the battle between light and darkness; it gives such
    a great feeling to the game. It's creepy, with a horror-movie esque environment. Nothing pops out at you though, so it's good.
    The notes scattered around the game are so great. They give snippets that make you decide what the story is. (imagination) I wish there were more levels though, I feel like I'd ram through this game.
    Please keep updating this game devs, you've created a beautiful masterpiece.
    :)

5. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Loving the atmosphere. Also, the fact that nothing will actually frighten you allows me to play this in the dark. The story is very interesting so far as well. Definitely recommended for $1!

It can get frustrating if you don't like memorization of patterns, though. Some of the patterns can be tough...

6. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    I really want to try multiplayer; too bad nobody is ever online.

7. Georgina

Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    I could be up for trying the multiplayer tomorrow. :)

For the devs, I've found two small bugs.

1 :: Somehow, the Game Paused message got stuck on the screen. Tapping didn't make it go away, and neither did using the arrow keys, though I could still move my little guy around beneath it. I ended up having to restart the level to get rid of it -- since they're short, it wasn't a huge deal.

2 :: I went on-off-on a light node really quickly, and the voids disappeared even though the light was on. I had to move off the node again, wait, and then move on to get them to show.

I'm currently stuck on level 31. I have a blue key but only access to a red door. Is 35 definitely the bugged level?

Cheers.

8. Georgina

Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    #68 Georgina, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
    Nevermind on that last part! I thought something was a wall that wasn't.

And here's another bug.

3 :: I currently have 75 recordings in campaign mode, but none of the achievements for recordings have unlocked (10, 25, 50, etc).

9. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    I finally bought the game and I'm up for a match online now!

10. LucianOrb

LucianOrb Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Brazil
    Any chance of getting a MP3 with this game's music?

11. Lambdamu

Apr 19, 2010
    Singapore
    This bug has been fixed in the new update. The achievements will automatically unlock if you have satisfied the prerequisite.

12. Lambdamu

Apr 19, 2010
    Singapore
    We'll work on that! I'll let you know!

We're really hoping that you guys will get to try the multiplayer out. It's been a blast for everyone here to play it. Do try it!!

13. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Very creative game, the wormholes are definitely a bit creepy. However I think the content in the recordings are a bit vague. If you're trying to mimic the artifacts or voice recordings in Silent Hill Shattered Memories perhaps you should include voice-over for the video tapes... after all they're tapes and not messages.

14. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    How long is the introductory price gonna last ? I'm gonna get tiny wings + this one later .

15. Lambdamu

Apr 19, 2010
    Singapore
    We would love to do that, but there were two things that prevented us from doing so:

1) Adding voice overs for every tape would've ballooned our app quite a bit (as there are 122 recordings). The app is already a wee bit hefty, so we decided against it.

2) Budget constraints! Getting the voice right for every recording would've costs us a bomb. And we can't afford that at the moment :).

16. Lambdamu

Apr 19, 2010
    Singapore
    We'll keep the intro price until the lite version (should be in about a week or two)!

17. Maxime Briand

Maxime Briand Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    The Mastermind disappeared into the void!

Hey... so glad I bought this, at first I thought I would wait until the updated version, but couldn't resist any longer and got it yesterday! Now, the challenge is to try not to go through the levels too quickly to make it last as long as possible! :D I'll try to post feedback when I get a little further into the game.

I think I found another Achievement-related bug, not sure if it had been noticed before... After unlocking the "Visit the Mastermind" (I'm not gonna spoil how you get it), it registered through Game Center, but after quitting the game, closing it then reloading it later, it was gone from the in-game Achievements list. Still registered in Game Center, and I could earn it again using the same method afterwards... but it never saves, even if I do other in-game stuff aterwards (i.e. clearing another level, for example).

Thanks for this game, can't wait to play it some more, and maybe play some multiplayer games later!

18. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    That level with the darkness chasing you from behind is so hard... still can't beat it, as there aren't any of those light beacons.
    Are there any plans for an HD/universal version?

19. Lambdamu

Apr 19, 2010
    Singapore
    #79 Lambdamu, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
    Thanks for the comments! That bug has been fixed in the upcoming patch.

We did quite a fair bit of balancing on that level. The trick is to be patient. You'll have time to escape eventually. And yes, we're working on making the app universal. We'll let you know when we get it!

20. Maxime Briand

Maxime Briand Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Awesome, thanks!