Universal Inferno 2 - (by Radiangames)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Andy C83, Oct 1, 2014.

1. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Update is live. I haven't tried it yet, but it'll be interesting to give the other control options a try.

2. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    #82 GregB, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    Bought :)

First play and got to level 12. Upgrades were very confusing and as capabilities get added more buttons get added to the screen. I can't really see the buttons and so am stressed about how to switch weapon types, how to switch missile types and how to activate the power. I've only activated the power by accident when I was trying to switch weapons and still am not sure which button did it. I also miss or can't find the option to have the joysticks float. Perhaps this was removed due to the addition of more buttons on screen? The HUD across the top also seems to have more stuff than Infeno+.

Only one play through so hopefully this will become clearer with more playthroughs. I suspect, though, that if I take time off from the game and come back 6 months later, I may prefer Inferno+ due to not having to relearn so much.

Game plays great of course and the levels, even the few I've encountered so far, evidence more variety and a higher degree of difficulty (even on Warm) than the original.

UPDATE: OK. I noticed that the missile type is listed on the left and the weapon type on the right. This matches the buttons above the joysticks for switching so I get it now. The lower button on the right is for the Power. I set missiles to go when I release the movement joystick and this seems to work ok. I

3. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Greg,

I thought the same thing till I started an easy (Warm) save and ignored the upgrading stuff. Then after playing a bunch I had a boatload of upgrade points. So I went wild maxing out my weapon and upgrading missile capacities and stuff. That's when it all clicked. I think not worrying about wasting missiles and so on helped me feel more comfortable exploring the controls. But just finish a level and don't exit. Instead sit there and try all the buttons and see what happens. I don't think it'll take much to figure out, it just seems a bit overwhelming at first. Like that first game of minecraft versus starting a new save after you've played a bunch.

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I just had a chance to play with the new controls - and WOWZERS!!

I tried the one where you let go of the movement button to fire missiles, and it's just... SO much easier to take care of those large groups and factories now. And I have yet to hit the wrong button since making the change, which is also pretty dang nice. =oP

Right now, I'm only on level 15... so I've got quite a ways to go, but now that I can play the game a lot more comfortably, I'll definitely be reaching for my phone with the intent to play this one a lot more.

As always, FANTASTIC developer support from Radiangames. =oD

5. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The new missile mode controls are great, I'm trying to decide if toggle button on the right side or double tapping fire area is better. So far having the button the right seems to allow for more precise shooting. I'm looking forward to having a go at Volcanic difficulty now :D

6. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Beat the final quarter levels on Volcanic thanks to the new controls, so much fun!

7. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #87 Andy C83, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    Though not initially planned, New Game+ is coming to Inferno 2 in an upcoming update. Luke is doing this to celebrate the game having a particularly good launch (Inferno 2 was featured quite prominently as a New and Noteworthy game on the US App Store which led to it becoming Radiangames' best-selling self-published game on iOS after less than a week on sale).

There's more info on the New Game+ update here: http://www.radiangames.com/the_new_game_problem/

8. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Great news!
    Good to hear it´s kinda successful!

Thanks for the heads-up Andy

9. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Best dual stick shooter I've ever played. Glad it's doing well.

10. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    #90 amusing Grace, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    And the update is live :)

What's new

New Game+ mode is now available!
    * Play through all 80 levels with more upgrades
    * More, tougher enemies
    * New level variants
    Fixed and improved other minor issues

EDIT: switched to a new iPad Air 2, was a bit miffed at first as there seems to be no iCloud integration. But after starting from scratch again, i realized why i hold this release in such high regards. It´s an absolute joy to play and the level-design is sublime.
    Probably my Game of the year

11. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    What Inferno 2 lacks in intensity in comparison to the first, it makes up for in focus. Narrow passageways and an emphasis on traps and deception make the level design intricate and smart. The overall presentation is the typical high standard Radian we know and love.

The multiple control options are the biggest weakness, as none really address the awkwardness of switching to missiles, but simultaneously these multiple options also attempt to address the situation.

The original is probably a more natural, organic dual stick, but the direction Luke has gone here makes the game no less interesting.

As usual, a full Premium experience from Radian, which is much appreciated.

12. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Music doesn't seem to be working.

13. David_Don_13

David_Don_13 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Ireland
    just played! very cool! will share

14. brybry

brybry Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    #94 brybry, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    I took advantage of the sale and bought it. Love it! Love it! Love it!!! The level design is fun and gives it a nice maze feel with enemies possibly lurking around the bend. I love the many weapon choices and the ability to enhance those weapons. As sumo stated... "Awkward to change weapons". I find myself looking down a lot to change between weapons. Either that or I just forego changing weapons and just fire it out with the current choice.

I haven't gotten too deep into the game but I can tell... This is a keeper!

15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Since the update, the display on my iPhone 5/iOS 7.1.2 is messed up:;:

Attached Files:

16. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I deleted the game and reinstalled, and got this...

I'm guessing there's not gonna be a fix for it. I contacted the devs, they said they had no idea about the issue, but would look into it... that was about a month and a half ago...

Just sucks...

Attached Files: