Universal Inferno 2 - (by Radiangames)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Andy C83, Oct 1, 2014.

1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    If the button was close to the firing controls then it would be usable with the "toggle" control type. I'm still really enjoying the game, and the progression overall is much more solid in this sequel so I'm trying to compromise with the missile controls. The movement off control might the one I can use best if I get used to always moving while shooting.

Another way to activate missile mode could be to double tap, or even triple tap the control pad or firing controls. Of course, this would only work as a toggle but I think it's worth a try in beta. My major concern with the current options is that I have to do something different with my left thumb for the duration the missile mode is activated. It's either hunting for a button or keeping my thumb off the controls. In the double/triple tap scenario I could just quickly switch back and forth between modes without feeling odd. But that's just my personal experience with virtual controls on iPad.

2. radiangames

radiangames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 24, 2011
    Game Developer
    United States
    I will try the double-tap later today. Thanks for the suggestion! If it works well, I'll pull 1.01 out of review and update with the double-tap option. (1.01 is just a few minor fixes)

3. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I hope it works out, I haven't enjoyed a twin stick shooter this much in a very long while, even with the missile controls :)

4. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    So if I own JoyJoy do I need this game?

Btw, does this have leaderboards or just achievements?

5. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Game Center shows only achievements and challenges.
    Compared to JoyJoy this one is so much more fleshed-out with plenty of different upgrades. I can only wholeheartedly recommend it.

6. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Hell yeah!

This is an RPG dungeon crawler

7. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Are you freaking serious!!!! Buying now!!!

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Wait, does this mean you havent played Inferno+? Coz that would mean you've missed a lot.

9. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Ok, thanks buying on your recommendation :D

10. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I haven't played Inferno+ either :( I had a 2 1/2 year hiatus from iOS and that's one I missed out on. Should I play through it first? Thanks.

11. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Thank you much, didn't see your reply until I had already replied to JCho ;)

12. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    It doesn't really matter which you play first. These are both great games.

I like to think of them as if Gauntlet and Galaga had a baby.

I know you already got your answer... but it's the genre blending going on with fixed levels to explore, secret exits to find, and the decision making on which ship/weapons setup works best for you. All of that bundles up to a really awesome experience. There are leaderboards in the first game for some extra side stuff... but since there aren't any in this game it doesn't really matter which you play first. I don't think this is a case where the sequel makes the original obsolete... quite the contrary.

13. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Well holy Hell! You guys all did it to me...again. I went ahead and picked up Inferno+, I'm literally blown away. This is such a tight and actually, hands down, fun experience. Not to forget mentioning the graphics are beautiful.

Looking through the update log for Inferno+ looks like it saw tons of love from Radian, including additional leaderboards etc. so I went ahead and picked up part 2.

14. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Glad you're enjoying Inferno+! It would be cool if something like 'Scorched Mode' could be eventually added to Inferno 2, though I'm kind of glad it isn't in there from the start. It gives me times to concentrate on (and fully appreciate) the main game.

Speaking of, I've just beat Chapter 2 on 'Hot' difficulty, here are my stats.

Attached Files:

15. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I was thinking the same thing. This forces everyone to focus on the main game rather than pushing the competition.

16. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    As far as twin stick shooters go this is a fairly decent one. Fun while it lasts.

Like others have pointed out the missile controls are stupid.
    Nobody playtesting this could have possibly thought "yep this is a good control scheme and not awkward at all".

17. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I like that the level design in this offers some fresh ideas and is quite a bit different than the first game. It makes it more than a typical sequel.

I can't quite wrap my brain around the ship upgrade system quite yet... but I don't mind that as long as it eventually clicks what I need to set. The first game was a lot more straight forward (not a negative either way). Tonight I should be able to dig a little deeper into this little gem.

18. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    The videos of this looked great. All of your reviews sounded great. I don't know though, I just can't get into it.

19. radiangames

radiangames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 24, 2011
    Game Developer
    United States
    That's a perfectly valid feeling for a game.

Can I ask a few questions about your playing so far:
    * Which main weapon are you using the most?
    * Which missile and power (if you use powers) do you favor?
    * What level have you reached, and what difficulty are you playing on?

It's possible changing your weapons/power/difficulty could affect your enjoyment. Or maybe it's not your kind of game.

Luke