Universal Infamous Machine (by Blyts)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Oct 9, 2016.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    You guys will not be disappointed. I promise you that. I've become super picky with games since I switched to a 64 GB iPhone SE and believe me when I say any game that doesn't leave a lasting impression gets deleted within minutes. Kelvin (and the Infamous Machine) hasn't only been on my device for 3 days now, but is even in a folder. Fond of the game? Nah. I frickin' love it.

2. Unseen Studios

Unseen Studios Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    UK
    I have picked this up and I am not disappointed. I am still on the first chapter but so far the game is great. If I had to nitpick I would say there seems to be quite a lot of compression on the voice overs so it is a bit jarring at first but I quickly got used to the voices.

3. kfelicity85

kfelicity85 Member

May 2, 2013
    Me too!

4. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Same here (about the pickiness) so thanks for convincing me to pick this up. You're right, the game is really cool. Unfortunately I'm already through but it was an awesome classic PnC experience.

The humor is great, voice-acting fantastic and the puzzles are not too easy but not too hard either (once or twice I was stuck and had to try every inventory object with everything else just to later discover that I only overlooked another location or passage, for example that you can continue to the graveyard guy right after the moon.)

All in all an amazing Point'n'Click experience. Little sad it's already over but for ~ 300 MB (incl voice acting) the length was more than satisfying. Would deserve more attention but guess the genre is just not mainstream enough anymore.

P. S.: Didn't realize there was a hotspot function at first -> Long press on screen for anybody who also didn't know,

5. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Looks great and with an MC recommend no less! Okay, I'll bite this next paycheck! Hope the momentum continues to build for this!

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #26 metalcasket, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Great post.

Yeah, the game definitely isn't anyone's next Monster Hunter and isn't gonna give you hour after hour of play, but I find myself coming back to solid Point and Clicks all the time. I can't even count the amount of times I've played through the Monkey Islands, first 2 Broken Swords, Grim Fandango, the first couple of Simon the Sorcerer games, etc. and while I wouldn't exactly say Kelvin's an equal to those classics, I definitely see myself playing it a whole bunch of times, in the immediate future and later on in life (PROVIDED iOS DOESN'T KILL IT!). I think it's the perfect gateway game into the P&C genre and the length ensures I'll never get bored of it.

Also, to the guys who are buying this because I recommended it...even after being around here for 6 years, I'm totally humbled and it still drives me crazy that you guys value my opinion. <3

7. #27 AppUnwrapper, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    Finally made some time for this. Only put in an hour so far but wow. Loving it so much. I've been burned a lot this past year with P&C's that just didn't impress me that I quit on, mostly due to the humor/dialogue falling flat for me. This is so my type of humor, though. Glad I didn't pass on it!

8. Mry1975

Mry1975 Active Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Am I the only one finding this game to be constantly crashing on iPad mini 1?

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Broke my heart to not see this under Best New Games on the App Store this week...

...till I realized it's just because the game's installed on my phone and it is indeed featured! :D

10. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

How could I have missed this!!! Widely accepted by quality TA members, damn kicking myself now, my bad.

11. MacGyver

MacGyver Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    So this game is excellent bar none. Art style, story and dialogue and voiceover - super polished. Originally a steam release.

Incredible how all the lazy retro crap and derivative garbage gets infinite coverage and this intellectually engaging masterpiece, at $2 with no IAP gets nothing. Classic toucharcade.

12. Disco Driscoll

Disco Driscoll Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Just picked this up in the sale, and have to say I'm loving it so far. I'm about 90% through the first act, and the humour, storyline, graphics and acting are all superb

13. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    @metalcasket hey I seen you had and loved this game and it’s currently on sale for 99p.

Wondering if you know if it still works well these days? The updates just say bug fixes, is it full screen at all?

@macplash have you played this one? Another point and click on sale that looks great.

macplash likes this.
  14. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk I’m familiar with the title, but never actually played the game. I think I bought it a few years ago though. It’s been on sale multiple times. I need to check my purchased items to be sure. But thanks for the reminder. I’ll give it a try for sure. Definitely looks intriguing.

ste86uk likes this.
  15. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @macplash yeh after metalcaskets comments it made me want the game even more. Although I’m not sure if it’ll be full screen on my iPhone X with it being old.

16. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Screen shots certainly imply iPhone X full screen. Hmmm...

17. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    What makes you say that? I didn’t think a screenshot gives it away?

I just asked because it’s 3 years old and all the updates just say fixes.

18. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Screenshots on the App Store show an iPhone X full screen. Ones that don’t are smaller and more rectangular. Sometimes “fixes” are more than just that and can make them widescreen. I’ve had several older apps that are iPhone X compatible but don’t say that in release notes.

Can’t say for sure with this one but the first thing I look for on the App Store are the screenshots.

ste86uk likes this.
  19. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @anothony78 I’m still not quite sure what you mean as they just look like all the other screenshots I see for games. I guess it is only 99p though If I checked it out.

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yeah, I dunno if this has been updated with X device screen support, but it has been maintained over the years. While the screenshots ARE full screen, the preview video isn't. I can tell you that despite that, it's worth checking out. Only fond memories of this, and tbh, hardly any P&C that's transitioned over to mobile is fullscreen and it really doesn't matter since you're poking stuff and not technically holding a controller.

ste86uk likes this.