Universal iNethack2 (by Future Shock Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Erik32

Erik32 Member

Feb 9, 2009
    'W' bug?

When playing on the iPad2, iOS 8, trying to equip newly found armor with the Wear command yield a blank menu. When I get a new helm, the menu appears. I'll mess around with unequping armor first, but to me it looks like a menu or message is painted and then shunts off to the left as the blank menu is displayed. This was on something like level 2 or 3 with an Elven mythril armor

2. akolade

akolade Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Programmer
    Lethbridge, AB
    Thanks for the detailed description. I'll check this out.

3. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #63 zen_mode, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    One feature that i'd really like is the ability to have concurrent games running in different save files by changing the user name (just like on the desktop versions). I did a bit of searching and found that was actually possible when the app was developed under iNethack, but it was patched out of the game early on.

See discussion here:

https://code.google.com/p/inethack/issues/detail?id=74

and the revision that removed the username prompt here:

https://code.google.com/p/inethack/source/detail?r=186#

Then again, I know this is a free app and can understand if future updates or specific feature requests are not on the agenda. I'm just grateful that you brought it back to life :).

4. cthulhufan

cthulhufan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 5, 2013
    Systems Engineer
    Missouri
    Mischief managed. Nice, I didn't know about this one. Downloading now. If it's anything like Dreadmor then I am going to be in hog heaven.

5. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Really wish the corrupted save issue would be fixed. It ruins an otherwise excellent port... Tried to email the dev a few months back with no luck :/

6. akolade

Jan 21, 2013
    Programmer
    Lethbridge, AB
    Update is now out, adds the Nevanda tile set in cyan and dark grey varieties. Check it out!

7. akolade

Jan 21, 2013
    Programmer
    Lethbridge, AB
    Are you still experiencing save game corruption issues? I haven't had much luck reproducing anything like that so it makes it hard to diagnose.

8. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Stopped playing this port a while back after losing my save my progress somewhere around DL20-30 due to the save bug, so not sure if it's still present. I can say though that it only seemed to happen when I was in Explore or Wizard mode (can't remember which one), so that might have something to do with it. Having said all that, I might give this port another shot given the update.

9. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Thanks for the update. The ability to change the symbol for boulders is a nice addition as I only play in ASCII.

If I could ask for one feature for the next update it would be to add the ability for users to access the save files when connecting to a PC via USB. This was enabled by default prior to iOS 8, however at some point Apple disabled this unless otherwise re-enabled by the developer. Instructions can be found here:

http://pinkstone.co.uk/how-to-enable-itunes-file-sharing-in-your-ios-app/

This would give me the ability to backup my save files daily and would be a *huge* deal for me as I could attempt long extinctionalist runs with out having to worry about losing my save files to file corruption issues.

X-code/IOS 9 also allows users to compile their own source code for use on personal devices as well, so if you felt inclined you could always send the source code my way and I could enable this myself for my purposes.

Please let me know what you think.

10. akolade

Jan 21, 2013
    Programmer
    Lethbridge, AB
    Interesting; I didn't know this about the save files. I'll look into it!

11. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Look forward to it. After writing my post I noticed that the source is available on GitHub, and as Xcode 7 allows users to compile code for personal use I was going to enable it myself. Unfortunately it turns out that without a dev program licence the certificate will expire every 3 months :/

In this case, I'll just wait and hope an update will come out in the future with file sharing enabled.

12. akolade

Jan 21, 2013
    Programmer
    Lethbridge, AB
    I found the setting and enabled it (tested and it works). I already have an update in the App Store queue which fixes some other menu scrolling bugs, which should get approved any day now. So the next release after that one will have then file sharing enabeled, along with a few other tweaks.

But yes all the code is in Github so try it out if you are interested.

13. athros

athros Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    DevOps
    Colorado
  14. Rocco SE

Rocco SE Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    Just got burdened with a heavy steel ball chained to my legs. Prayed to my god, who freed me from that burden. But I kept carrying the ball with me to use it as a heavy weapon by throwing it at enemies.

(i)Nethack(2) still rules.

sebgo likes this.
  15. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Thanks for bringing this up to my attention. I saw you mentioned it in another game's thread, so I downloaded it and gave it a go, but it turned out actually quite confusing for me so I immediately dropped it; although I'm planning to go back to it, eventually.

16. Rocco SE

Rocco SE Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    Yes, the game doesn‘t feel very welcoming at first. I tried it many times over the years, and always bounced off immediately. But it‘s pretty logical and well done. Devs had to translate a whole keyboard command control system to touch. I tried my way through the function of all shortcuts at the bottom. Easy start is to work with the two buttons menu and # for most commands.

I now cannot put this game away anymore and find it pretty easy to play.

In case you have any questions, I‘ll gladly help.

sebgo likes this.
  17. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

#77 sebgo, Mar 31, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
    Thanks! I actually downloaded the original(?) game manual and gave it a read, but didn't make it very far into it because I got sleepy (I've been having terrible sleep habits lately haha) and after I rested for a bit, I forgot to continue reading.

Yeah, it's quite intimidating at first, but from what I read in the beginner's guide and what little I got from the guidebook, it's quite a detailed game with lots of stuff to do and different possible approachs to situations, which is something I find very interesting. I loved the fact they mentioned you can even make use of a towel as a reference to THHGTTG. ♡

There's tons of stuff for me to learn and keep in mind, such as the AC value (that's something new to me, and results almost counter intuitive since I'm used to "the higher the number, the better the stat", but this one is the opposite) and who knows what more, especially what all of the commands do (I tested some, too).

I'll see how much I can make it into the game once I'm past the guidebook (I like reading manuals and tutorials) and if I find anything I keep struggling with, I'll consider reaching out for some help.

ᵗʰᵃᶰᵏᵧₒᵤ ⌣̈

Been having fun trying to memorize some commands. Good thing there's ? and &. Been checking what each letter and symbol does. LOVE they way it can be played with YUHJKLBN/yuhjklbn; more like I love everything works with the keyboard, it gives a VERY retro feel and makes tapping tiles or shortcuts mostly unnecessary. Also, I love how they use extracts from books to provide additional info on items. It's a very well done game and it's packed with pretty things like that.

・‿・

n-Edit: I noticed changing Options only affects the current session. If you leave the app, say by means of "S" and immediately boot the game again, all changes are set back to their default values. I personally like opening doors manually and being told when I'm walking against a wall and even enjoy the risk of hurting/killing my pet by accident (already tried it on purpose, though, but pets are super useful in videogames so I rather not try that again). I haven't checked if connecting my phone to PC would allow me to change some settings file in order to have some of them preserved between sessions and characters.