iPad Indigo Ocho - Free today

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Mindfield, Feb 24, 2009.

1. I was tipped off by Axolotl Studios asking me to write a review about their new (first) game this morning, and I actually quite like it. I won't spam my blog with a link to the review, you can just click on my sig, it's there. Basically though, it's a 3D puzzle/maze/action game, and it's pretty slick. Definitely got some production value here. Gameplay is good, action can get a little frenetic when your clock is running down and you still have't unlocked the exit. Control is accelerometer-based and seems to be tweaked well enough that you don't have to fight with the sensitivity. Nice variety of graphics as you progress through the levels, too.

Plus, it's free for the rest of today, possibly into some part of tomorrow depending on the time zone they're dealing with.

iTunes link

Video here, plus a few hotlinked screenies. (It's okay, it's my bandwidth I'm stealing.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    Awesome I'll check it out

3. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    Awe man apparently it's being modified right now...

4. DOH!

Bet that means they're setting the pricing back to normal.

s'okay though. There will still be a chance to get it free. Axolotl gave me some codes, so I'm gonna hold a bit of a contest soon to give them away.

5. Silver Orange

Silver Orange Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    Ya, bummer :(

6. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    It's not that great so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

7. uber_cast

uber_cast Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Its being modified so I can't download.

8. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    This made me cringe when I opened it up to play, I don't rate 1 star games usually, but this is a 1 star game! It's way too cramped, you can't see what you're doing half the time, and the patterns all clash together in a really ugly way.

Look at that third screenshot up there if you don't believe me! Get it while it's free and see for yourselves, but this isn't worth your time right now.

9. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    This game screams "Built by Unity", is it?

10. mek

mek Well-Known Member

well now i dont feel bad about the day old thread title saying free only today, which by today it meant yesterday

thanks

11. No. Unity games are typically 11+ megs and higher and have the Unity splash screen. Plus, I point out Unity games when I review them because they can be really hit or miss depending on the developer. (Technicat, anyone?)

I'll agree to a point about the colours; certain levels are sometimes hard to suss out; most importantly though, text overlays have a habit of blending in. I think the term you're thinking of is "busy" ... the level designs and colour schemes are too busy. Perhaps I'll suggest that to Axolotl.

12. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    finally got around to playing this. can't say I liked it. really confusing/frantic. I went through like 4 levels just cause my iphone was tilted down. also agree with cramped feeling also.

arn

13. indigo8

indigo8 Well-Known Member

Indigo Ocho Version 1.1

All,

This thread has been really helpful to us to know how to improve Indigo Ocho.

We've made a number of improvements in version 1.1 -

- We've added a randomly generated untimed maze mode without obstacles and with an unlimited number of levels.
    - Like balls now repel each other which keeps balls from clustering together and improves gameplay.
    - The textures are changed and toned down
    - The screen now dims significantly behind the UI
    - Other graphical and UI changes
    - The audio is louder
    - Now built with for iPhone OS 2.0 instead of 2.2 for broader compatibility
    - And there are a few other bug fixes in the mix

We look to continually improve upon this game. We're proud of it and we're committed to it. We know that we can make it better - especially through forums such as these.

Right now, we're looking to see how we might resolve the 'cramped' feeling described above. Any suggestions? ;)

If anyone needs promo codes especially if you're willing to review Indigo Ocho (on iTunes or elsewhere), just send me a private message and I'll send you one while we still have them.

Thank you!

Axolotl Studios
    indigo8@axolotlstudios.com

14. indigo8

indigo8 Well-Known Member

Oh, by the way - it's not built with Unity. We developed our own tech for Indigo Ocho that we intend to use in future games as well.

15. traonk

traonk Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    student
    earth
    done pm sent

16. Y'know, when I pointed you over here I probably should have suggested you start a new thread to give away the codes so it doesn't get missed in this older thread. :)