Universal Indigo Lake - (by 3 Cubes Research Limited)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 16, 2013.

1. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    if you read my post you will see that i use iphone 4 with 512mb ram not 256mb like ipod 4g....

2. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    plz test game on ios7 and make update,thanks!

3. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Hi

There is a chance that the iphone 4 is not loading the low quality (ipod4) level and is loading the full quality one.

Could you tell me when you rotate the device to open up the menu in game does it give you the option to record (a little camera icon). and does it give you the option to view the picture in picture webcam (icon of a little guy in a box).

also do you see the full effects like rain hitting ground.

4. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    This game is nearly unplayable for me.
    Not because it laggs or something like that...no, it constantly scares the hell out of me!
    The atmosphere is so intense and the sound...that's the creepiest sound design i've heard in a long time.

5. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    #105 Appletini, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    I picked this up as soon as it hit here in NZ back on Wednesday night, and played it for a bit (up to the base). Liking things quite a bit from what I've played – and in fact, was going to post Peekaboo as my very first comment – even though thus far the game is more like a theme park haunted house than a dread-inducing horror game like Amnesia. I particularly like the numerous small mysteries and easily-missed sightings that reward the adventurous player, and the game is pretty impressive visually on a 4th-gen iPad. There are a couple of issues, however.

The game has quite a few language errors (grammar, spelling, etc.); I'm inclined to let these slide when they appear in hand-written notes, but not in UI elements. For example, "It seems an explosion happerened" in the Camp Andrews description must have come as the result of a serious lapse in concentration while writing. ;)

Forcing a player to rotate their iPad to access the menu and objective screens is a stupid, stupid gimmick, sorry, and adds absolutely nothing but irritation to the experience. It was an awful idea in Warhammer Quest, and it's no less awful here – worse, in fact, because you have to rotate the device both ways, not just one. These screens also look like they were designed for a smaller device first and foremost, and just scaled up for the iPad.

You can get away with this kind of gimmick on the smaller iPhone or iPod, but it's just not acceptable on an iPad. When rotating to portrait orientation to access the menu, trying to actually select an option is unnecessarily awkward because of the way your hands will be positioned when playing in landscape. If you want to keep UI elements hidden, just place an invisible "menu" button at the top of the screen that players can hit to open the menu and access the objectives screen. Many players use their iPads on stands, and I know of at least one poster here who has stated that because of a disability, they literally can't hold their device with both hands; I do play while holding my iPad, and that's bad enough with this game. I think reconsidering this element and providing an optional alternative would be a good idea, at least for the larger devices.

The sensitivity/hit detection for firing the gun and using objects could stand to be looked at (especially when trying to use something at an angle instead of facing it straight-on), as I find that when I tap on something to use it, half of the time I end up shooting at it instead. My vehicle must have about twenty bullet holes around the door handle by now. If the game had limited ammunition, this would be a serious pain in the vending machine instead of a relatively minor annoyance.

Other than these few issues, the actual game itself is definitely a step up when compared to many of its indie fellows, and I'd certainly recommend people pick it up. I do hope that it becomes more tense and harrowing as people have hinted, but at least it's not just another "Slender"-style page-hunting affair. I'll have to play on and see how it goes.

6. ThreeCubes

Oct 13, 2012
    Thanks Appletini,

The rotation menu is very love hate thing. We will see how people feel about it and make a change if its not popular. you are right that it suits a phone screen better.

The hit detection may need a bit of work but we would rather it goes off when you don't wan't it too rather than not going off when you do. The centre part of the screen should not fire if tapped. This issue is less noticeable on the wider iphones but a few tweaks can be made.

on a side note

*********Save Issue*********

Please Save the game once you reach the shore by rotating the device to portrait and clicking on the file icon with the down arrow then the green confirm button. If you save before die at least once there will be no further issues.

If you are finding that you are being placed back at the start of the map on load please re-save the game straight away/ reload and the save again. this should ensure that the next time you save your position will be correctly saved. This error only occurs if the very first time you play you die before making a save file.

7. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    This reminds me of the Nintendo DS and Chinatown Wars. The first time you played, it created the savegame archive in the MMC. :p

8. D-Vader

D-Vader Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    America
    Holy cow that peek-a-boo part scared me so bad. And the flying crates get me some times.

If you're still hesitant, get this.

9. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I agree.

For me the wildest part to occur in the earlier game was:
    ...also the floating beds, after an initial spook I took a screenshot and thought it was a bug but the more I toyed around with them the more unsettling they seeming being so random and ethereal especially as your approach them in the fog. The beds just boldly hanging there seemed so unconventional and unexpected it struck me as very eerie.

...I showed the screenshot to my 5 year old daughter and tried to convince her I had been haunted by flying beds in the backyard last night so we had fun running around screaming about flying beds.

It really gets interesting after the army camp.

10. anouk82

anouk82 Active Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Mini market
    Athens,Greece
    #110 anouk82, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    You said you'll update the game for the 5s...what exactly are we waiting for?...frame rate in iPhone 5 is in my eyes always below 30 fps...a boost there would be nice,but I'm more interested in what effects will be "enabled" in iPhone 5s(bigger resolution textures,more real life fog,per object self casting shadows..etc...)....thanks in advance!

11. ThreeCubes

Oct 13, 2012
    Well it takes a week to get approved anyway.

Here is the update plan, Look out for any bugs over the next 24 hours. Fix issues and submit on friday night. Once they are approved and working we can look at adding effect and we will also be able to see what on the horizon from apple on the 22nd.

the iPhone 5 is locked a 30fps (but should never be below it unless loading) as there was a few unknowns with the new 5s while developing that may have upset the timings if it ran to fast. we will remove the restriction when we have done more testing.

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Joo try shooting those? ;)

13. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Can anyone tell me:
    What to friggen do when you get to the room with the photos at the army camp?
    I feel like I hit a brick wall. Everything was very clear up until that point. The objectives didn't really give me a clue either. Just talks about:
    what was on the key.

14. ThreeCubes

Oct 13, 2012
    hi,

look on the bed in the room with Dr Everett in. if you had to pick one photo?

15. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    I have, nothing really strikes me as a clue there. Unless there was something I was supposed to pick up and missed.

16. ThreeCubes

Oct 13, 2012
    try that

the photo on the bed matches one of the photos hanging up, you should be able to click on the photo hanging up

17. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Literally came here to type the "Oh wow do I feel dumb." comment. Thanks for the help.

18. ThreeCubes

Oct 13, 2012
    Actually most people did not get the puzzle before that so your doing well

19. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    If this game isn't, GOTW, I have lost faith in Touch arcade :)

20. sbirksy666

sbirksy666 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Little bit confused at what to do next
    I have got to the cellar bit, but I can't enter there's some sort of force field stopping me I have tried to enter slowly but nothing works