iPhone Indies' Lies (by Func Games & PlayBest)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Sep 23, 2021.

1. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Oh, I’m asking this now as well for my 12.9” iPad Pro.

2. BazizzleHizzle

BazizzleHizzle Active Member

Nov 7, 2020
    Male
    First Dawncaster, which I declared the best game so far in 2021, then this drops. I haven’t played anything else since installing IL. This is far and away the slickest and best card-based video game I’ve played on any platform.
    @Laurenxy congratulations on an awesome game! Don’t worry about balance issues too much, it gets way harder as you progress. Like the best roguelites there will be some degree of luck involved no matter how solid your build.

You’ve already got dorks like me, but as I’m sure my partners around here will attest I personally know a handful of other dorks who would pay for the DLC and install this right away if it was made available offline!

3. Lanster27

Lanster27 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Quick first impression:

I'm a pretty much Slay the Spire nut. I've spent hours on my PC years ago, and hours on my mobile since then, which I still play regularly.

Indies' Lies is pretty well made clone. A lot of cards and mechanics are just a straight copy of what's in StS. The balance is also different to StS. In StS, you start off a little weak, mid-game is pretty much make or break, and endgame you pretty much know if you are gonna walk all over the boss or get obliterated. In IL, early-mid game is quite easy, just gets hard at endgame, depending on your card decisions. One of the biggest difference is not being able to upgrade your cards (runes are too rng). So the common cards that deals 10 dmg at the first fight is still doing 10 dmg at last fight. Some cards scale massively with no drawback and doesnt need other cards, while remaining cards have basically 0 scaling. So the balance to me, feels a little jarring coming from StS, but I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, just different (StS is often criticised for being "too balanced", but sometimes you just want a game to give you a little bit of extra fun). This comes at an expense though, as you will always end up picking these cards regardless of your strategy.

I like the fact you can get companions and get a small selection of their cards, making each run really unique.

I will give it a few more runs to see if I end up liking the game or not. But right now it's not going to replace StS for me yet.

houseofg and skoptic like this.
  4. Laurenxy

Laurenxy Member

Sep 29, 2021
    Female
    Yes there're plans for new characters but not anytime too soon. For this year the team is focused on developing the PC version. Stay tuned!

ThirdMoon and houseofg like this.
  5. Laurenxy

Laurenxy Member

Sep 29, 2021
    Female
    The team has plans to work on that - stay tuned!

6. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Now offline.
    Case closed.

mastery51, metalcasket and anthony78 like this.
  7. mastery51

mastery51 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    #87 mastery51, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Yep. Thank you Laurenxy and Team for accommodating us none cellular iPad users. I Really appreciate your hard work.

8. naghihimutuc

naghihimutuc Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2020
    redownloadiiiiiing

9. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm curious what the offline requirements means.

"1. Supports offline gaming (Ps: Network is needed for the first time log-in, unlocking new levels, new chapters and achievements.)"

Does this mean that you have to be online to open the app each time? And does this mean that nothing unlocks when you beat the game offline? Or are they referring unlocking levels and chapters with IAP? I don't quite understand the restrictions. I hope it's just referring to IAP and not "no progression when offline".

And then lastly, I wish I knew why it identifies / tracks users through location data, identifiers, and usage data. I asked the dev about it elsewhere and they ignore that part.

10. Ringerill

Ringerill Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    I would say that the tame isn’t even close to being offline. So don’t be so hasty to close this one!
    As Lawliet mentioned it, the game still requires you to be online for: launching the game, using DLCs, uploading on the leaderboard AND to progress in levels. So basically, you have to be online pretty much all the time...
    The only difference now is that you can launch a new run without connection. But it won’t take into account your win if you stay offline then? So basically you can replay the run but not make progress?

And I would also be curious to know more about the data gathering. Because some parts aren’t clear as to how they are used for a deck building rogue like game.

Son of Anarchy likes this.
  11. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    #91 Ijipop, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    As far as my experience goes. It is fully offline.
    I don’t know yet about the leaderboards, maybe it updates itself once back online. Will have to finish my game while on break to see about that. Otherwise I think they did it.
    You don’t need to be online to launch the game, neither to progress in levels.
    You cannot unlock new levels, wich is a little bummer. Hope it updates once online too.

12. NonSoft

NonSoft Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    I think the truth is somewhere in the middle (which is a bit confusing to be honest).
    It's hard to say that the game is fully offline when, if you never connected, you wouldn't be able to progress through levels (to be clear, levels being the equivalent of Ascension in StS, not map to map). At the same time, saying you have to be online all the time is definitely not true either. You can login and play full games with any level, character, map, etc. that you've already unlocked.

It's a bit of a weird mix, but it sounds like they're going to continue to refine the offline experience and hopefully they get to a place where the full game experience is available offline. Given that they removed (arguably) the biggest hurdle of the internet check when loading the game, I don't see any reason to believe they won't continue to make progress in this area.

13. Ringerill

Ringerill Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    @NonSoft You formulated it better than both of us :)

Indeed, progressing in the game levels (aka, climbing the ladder) is the main point of the game (if not the only one) since most cards are already unlocked from the start. Apart from talents you unlock from the story quest of course. Which is an interesting point to know: are the clues unlocked offline as well or not?

But you are right, they said on their Discord that they will continue improving the offline mode so that's some really good news. Especially when looking at this last update content showing that they do care about this part.

NonSoft and Ijipop like this.
  14. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Hehehe I got carried away…
    One step in the good direction tough!

15. naghihimutuc

naghihimutuc Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Played this game waaaay too much last night. There is a LOT of content with just the 3 characters alone (the story chapters PER CHARACTER alone jeez). I feel rightly obliged to shell out on at least one dlc (but let’s be honest, I’ll probably end up buying both).

This game is ridiculously generous.

Ijipop likes this.
  16. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I liked the old app icon a lot. The new one’s ok, but the previous one was super cool looking. That’s it. :rolleyes:

ThirdMoon likes this.
  17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    A little too "Hey, look, Slay the Spire!" for me. :p

18. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I noticed that! But honestly I did just really like the old one. It really stood out! :)
    E9A8DA8B-F318-4477-AE14-09CA5088FBF2.jpeg