iPhone Indies' Lies (by Func Games & PlayBest)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Sep 23, 2021.

1. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    One of the most polished games in this genre for sure. Really enjoying it myself!

I’ve played probably hundreds of console games that require online connections so I’m honestly not that concerned about it. But understand if others do.

Ijipop likes this.
  2. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    I’m not too fussed about online, but without universal I’m on the fence for IAPs as I’ll be on a 12.9 most of the time. Real shame! This listing should be iPhone only really ;)

3. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    thats me too man, the online requirement isnt anything new to me, but i also get the complaints at the same time. its a shame because this is one of the most polished looking card-roguelikes on the AppStore hands down. Id say 2nd only to StS and graphically I feel its superior to STS. StS is just PERFECTLY balanced, its pristine. *italian hand gesture and kiss

elcrazy and Ijipop like this.
  4. elcrazy

elcrazy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    #24 elcrazy, Sep 24, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    My original impressions basically still stand. I have only scratched the surface though as still only tried one character. It’s a great game for sure. Super polished and gorgeous. It may have some balancing issues. Seems a lot easier then most card combat games right from the start. That could be by design though as just based on how in depth the tutorial was. There are different difficulties but still seems as though there are some pretty op cards offered very early on. But regardless it’s fun. One of the better games of the genre for sure. StS is still far better as far as balancing buuuuut that game is now the peak really. That’s what these games (specially this one lol) are trying to be and just like Dungeon raid for match 3 rpg nothing will feel quite the same or as good. Night of the full moon is amazing but that felt a different then these. Still inspired by sts and I think sts is better. But in its own right NFM was an incredible entry into the genre and will also be one others are measured against. This game seems like it got tons of love and inspired by those two now classics. They got a lot right. Love the idea of companions and picking where they stand. Also cards will have effects/bonus based on where they stand when using. And like I mentioned before placing cards in a combo form to gain other bonuses is very cool. The balancing may need some work. I’ll really have to play more. But ya I don’t love the online requirement. One I’m not sure how much data it’s using. Yes I will usually play on wifi (unlimited) but when I go on data I’d rather not use that on games. Also it worries me (like others here) if they decide to shut down the server that runs this game, well then you can’t play anymore. Makes me not want to buy the inn apps even if they are really inexpensive. And more importantly apprehensive about putting tons of time into it only to not be able to play someday. I love keeping my games and one likes StS (and something like this) I always go back to. Usually I would buy the inn apps instantly for what these ones are. But I’m going to wait and play the main stuff for now. See if anything changes or how much more I want to keep playing. I do hope we can get the developer here and get a change. But for anyone on the fence it’s worth a try for sure. And for anyone new to the genre this is a great entry into the genre for free. If you even remotely enjoy it you don’t have to worry about online requirements, because StS and NFM are waiting for you.

Update. Forgot to mention I love inferno and stacking it. But find it silly how much it can increase each turn. Another possible balancing issue lol…… (but not sure want it changed it cause it’s fuuuun lol)

5. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    Awesome from all of us thank you ! Let us know what they say and bring them to the forum !

6. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    I agree 100% StS balance is insane and that’s why it’s what every game in this genre will be measured against. Also yes this game is graphically superior for sure. But once again ui isn’t perfect. Hard to see some cards. Scroll bar is in the way at times and other little things. But most of this will hopefully be addressed in updates. That being said none of it really bothers me too much. Just like I never really noticed any of it in StS till I read the forums and what people were saying. Even then it never bothered me with that game. It’s just too great. I can over look little things in UI for games like StS and this.

pathogen541 likes this.
  7. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Being online only is not that much of a concern more than if they pull the plug you can’t play anymore. It’s a new reality, I know. Doesn’t mean it does not suck
    They’re quite active on discord, a couple of players brought up the subject today. now they know.

elcrazy likes this.
  8. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    I second the comment about this being seemingly much more easy going than say StS. I’ve made it through the first boss already, and that took me some time in StS. You can nose dive an entire run in StS just by picking the wrong card/relic/question mark room, I don’t see any of that happening here.

also, I agree that some of these cards seem SUPER OP. Honestly, it’s nice for a change, but that is also an issue. Part of StS appeal for me is that you really do have to get GOOD at it. The mechanics are easy to pick up, hard to master. If that isn’t present here, what’s going to be the long term appeal after repeated play throughs? Time and repetition will tell.

either way, I still highly recommend anyone interested in Card-rogulikes, or fans of the genre pick this up.

syntheticvoid, houseofg and elcrazy like this.
  9. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    #29 elcrazy, Sep 24, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    Ya so I just finished my actual second full attempt. I lost the first time on final boss. This time I beat her with ease. It was with a better deck and some good cards and play. That being said it was very easy all the way through. Buuuut that was like I thought just initial difficulty. I think it’s basically introduction and training. There are 4 and the next one sounds like it will add some difficulty. So as I thought this initial one may be easy by design. But that still may not change the cards that are op or some of the balancing issues with those cards and things like inferno lol. But I’m loving this. I’ll play the initial characters for sure. Really hoping the devs change this model if they are aware on discord. Hopefully they listen to the fans. Only thing that bothers me really is the issue of losing the game when they go offline. But ya this game is highly recommended for anyone into or interested in the genre. Really great entry actually. Especially this initial difficulty.
    It’s a shame really this game should have a higher price tag and no online component. But it’s the way of mobile games. I don’t know how being online could earn them anything but possibly it’s protection. And the low price is because of people stigma against paying full price for mobile games. When in fact they/we spend more time on them sometimes then full price console games. Anyways hopefully they find a fix for online so we feel like we can invest as much time as we want and not feel like we will lose everything. I really like to feel like I “own” my mobile games. But that may just the me…. (And many of you lol)

Attached Files:

Ijipop and pathogen541 like this.
  10. naghihimutuc

naghihimutuc Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2020
    I’ve noticed this on a lot of Chinese apps on the appstore. Being connected to the internet is always-ALWAYS a requirement. Maybe it’s a tracking measure for their government? They did have that maximum 1-hr of gaming law for their countrymen, maybe they just couldn’t be bothered to remove the same measures on international, non-Chinese releases?

Still, I can’t help but think of this as some sort of tracking measure for our data while we’re playing.

Reviewed and gave it one-star. Possible spyware dressed up as a game. I’d rather pay for something premium, singleplayer and offline and SAFE. For the sake of my mental health I suggest people don’t even try and touch this game, even if they decide to turn off the always online feature.

It’s too bad. The game really is a thing of beauty.

11. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    Started a game today on difficulty one. Wasn’t paying attention really to one of the first bosses minions and it hit me for a huge hit and the boss finished me off. So I died at the first boss. Just keep playing it gets harder and better. This game is really amazing. I’m not sure I understand the camp stuff though. Haven’t really looked into it. I also wonder what story adventure is ? I have two pieces to unlock for Albert. But one of those is finishing on level 2 difficulty. So that may be a bit not sure. Still only playing with Albert. Wow I hope they fix this online stuff. That last post here makes me nervous lol.

pathogen541 likes this.
  12. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    i noticed the story adventures too!!!! I got a piece or two for Gustav. What’s your speculation on what this could be? I’m thinking that maybe they are character specific runs that ONLY feature that character as a way to flesh out each characters backstory. I’m super impressed by this title, and I like the “talent” and “rune” systems that have been implemented here. Super impressed.

Laurenxy likes this.
  13. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    Ya I just keep getting more impressed myself. I think story is what you do. A specific run maybe just for that character. Full of backstory possibly. Probably be pretty hard too.
    I love the talent system. And the rune system is amazing. It can be hard to understand at first. I was nervous to add a rune card that said exhaust to a card I loved. But really ruin cards can be used on their own as cards and they have their own effects and things. But once you add it to a card it just applies it’s power. The other stuff like exhaust goes away. That won’t take effect unless it’s part of the card you added it too. And I love the selection process of adding a ruin.
    I don’t know what the online stuff really means. Or how what they can collect. Lol it’s made me a bit nervous. But how highly polished this game is makes me less worried somehow. I feel like this wasn’t made to scam anyone. It’s too good. This was made to be a great game. Hopefully their online requirement isn’t doing anything or it will be removed so everyone can enjoy this game stress free lol.

pathogen541 and Ijipop like this.
  14. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    So I beat the game on my first run (got 5 Phantom cards initially for half Max HP loss) and it carried me. Cruising to the Final Boss on 2nd run. I did notice the story quests as well and thought that a cool touch. Assuming, the more you play with a Hero, the more you unlock towards their story by the choices you make in the ? Rooms. Pretty cool twist on the StS rooms IMO. Another thing that took me a moment to notice was that you can REPLACE cards when you get new ones to add to your deck. REALLY makes a HuGE difference when deck building. Instead of getting stuck with the normal cards every run like in StS and having to sell cards, you can just swap out your normals as you get better ones so you don’t have to delete cards as much. Better than StS IMO again I will buy the IAP after I beat the wizard classes. This game seems to add a lot of variation (random talent tree EVERY run) and can’t wait for more runs!

15. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    A heads up for anyone. Poison procs before the enemy acts and Fire procs after they act. Fwiw so you can do mental gymnastics and math to make sure they die before they smack you

houseofg and pathogen541 like this.
  16. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    #36 elcrazy, Sep 25, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    When you go into a story quest choose the character then clues. You can see what you need to do to unlock each piece. On the right side it looks like achievements. But each one you will get a piece of the puzzle for. I have one left for Wizard. I beat level one on my second attempt with some amazing cards and talents. I’ll play level 2 today. If I beat that I will have the wizards story. Game is just fantastic. After getting Wizard story there are still two more free characters to play with before getting to the two dlc packs. Just soooo much to do here. I’ll also be buying the inn app at this point. Game is just too good.

Attached Files:

17. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Beat my second run, I got this card that does 2x5 and +2 dmg every time you use it and made a “minimalist” type deck with STR buffs and oh man that thing gets nasty. Was doing 100+ dmg with each one (yes, I had 2) was just a really fun run. The partners are just so much added flavor in the genre. I played and beat Steamworld Quest (on switch) and this reminds me like a SWQ+STS baby hybrid alien. There’s no walk around map like in SWQ but the battle and party system is refreshing for the StS genre IMO. Great game and don’t care about the connection thing. Shit they have dossiers on all of us already anyways LULZ

Ijipop, elcrazy and pathogen541 like this.
  18. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    “They have dossiers on all of us already”

my man. This comment is gold.

Ijipop, aconfusedkender and elcrazy like this.
  19. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    Sweet I picked up steam world quest a few weeks back but for some reason never it around to playing it. Now I’m immersed in this. But I’ll get to that after I’m done with this game. I had just re started steam world heist as well. Didn’t like it first time around and quit. For some reason I love it this time around. But right now I’m only playing indie lies and still playing a lot of Blon. Just about maxed out everything and cleared most of it. Lots of good games recently. Been a good year I think.

Ijipop likes this.
  20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Wait, how did this thread go from a lovefest, to conspiracy theories, and back to a lovefest? o_O

Laurenxy, Ijipop and elcrazy like this.