#INDIEpendenceDay give-aways

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by DemonJim, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Sorry DemonJim, I was just teasing you .... ;)

JC

2. mommagamehouse

mommagamehouse Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    CEO
    india
  3. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Hi. You are...:

a) A day late
    b) in the wrong forum - few non-developers read this so there is little point spamming a link to your game here without taking any part in the discussion (you should post in Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals)
    c) Shouting

:)

4. mommagamehouse

mommagamehouse Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    CEO
    india
    Sorry demonjim.

5. Zenout

Zenout Well-Known Member

Went with just the 4th, extra 1000 downloads not too bad :) I think total last time went for a full week was 2k, so I was only really confident in the first day but I can see how some games would benefit from longer exposure before returning to paid.

Thanks for starting this up, and well done with your impressive downloads DemonJim.

6. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    1k downloads? and 2k for a week?.. ouch..?!

7. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Well they're not as impressive as Ovogames' 150k/day (you can't compete with flightless birds in this business ;) ). As I suspected the 54k on the 4th was the peak, and yesterday it got just under 51k. Am really happy with these numbers though - it has surpassed by FAR what I was expecting it to get. And the average star rating hasn't taken quite the battering I feared either :)

8. Zenout

Zenout Well-Known Member

Oh the app which went free on the 4th was my old first-indie-release. 2nd app has been free for a few months, 3rd is still in development.

9. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    I've gone back to paid today, here is the sales trend over these 6 days of going free. Yesterday the trend of it dropping slowed a little, but this was probably because I announced it was the final day so gave it a final boost.

So in total it has had exactly 214,051 downloads in these first 5.5 days of being free, so I'm uber pleased with how this has gone.

The average star rating amazingly seems to have actually gone UP too, so my fears were totally unfounded regarding that (I really didn't want to lose that 4.5 star average so am even happier about that!).

Before it went on sale it was only getting around 10 paid downloads a day at $2.99 - it will be interesting to see what it gets after this. I don't ever expect to get rich from this game but it'll just be fantastic if it can earn back its costs.

So my conclusion is just confirmation of the obvious really - that having a free promotion is a brilliant way to get lots of people playing your game, which is particularly important if it features online play. But then I guess this is something most devs of premium games probably do anyway, so I've just been a bit slow to follow suit :)

Attached Files:

10. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Cool, I would have expected a bit more download, but I guess it is still pretty good. Don't forget to report about the sales bump generated by the eyes balls...

thanks

JC

11. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    So it ended with precisely 219,194 downloads in 6 days. It actually reached #1 Strategy Game in 23 countries (#5 in USA) - clearly added that to the blurb!

Now bear in mind it normally gets about 7-10 paid sales a day (after settling down after a big update or sale spike) here's how it has done after going back to $2.99: 48, 30, 23, 23 for the last 4 days.

So it does look like it might settle higher up than it was, hopefully around 20/day which would be about $1260/month after Apple's 30%. OK not great, but if you can get 4 or 5 games out earning that much it's a pretty decent amount. Better work on getting game 2 finished ASAP then :)