indie devs have a chance?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by howtocode, Jun 3, 2009.

1. khangtoh

khangtoh Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Co-Founder/IPhone Dev @ LeftRight Studios
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've reached out to Arnold and Blake, so hopefully we'll hear from them soon ;).

2. khangtoh

May 31, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    yeah.. totally, I really hope to see a mix of "unknown" indie developers as well as "well-known" indie developers.

3. JustinFic

JustinFic Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    Game Designer / Programmer
    Las Vegas, NV
    If it makes you feel any better, I'm not on The List either ;p

I will totally get drunk and then gatecrash the place with you.

4. khangtoh

May 31, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My co-founder and myself will crash the party any ways! See you there!

5. redbotsoftware

redbotsoftware Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    iPhone App Developer
    SF Bay Area
    I think marketing is what makes it easy for the indy developer right now. But as more and more money starts being spent by the big guys, and the more apps are out there, it'll only be the big guys. Or maybe the little guys that made it big, right? Indy-devs need to unite, help cross promote each other. It's going to be all about exposure pretty soon, and those that let themselves get isolated are probably going to fail.

6. khangtoh

May 31, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That's so true.. Admob has an app-to-app advertising program, not sure how that works or maybe start an indie only cross-promote ad network.

7. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

How awesome would that be: Indy-devs to arms! :D

8. redbotsoftware

Jun 2, 2009
    iPhone App Developer
    SF Bay Area
    I don't know about Admob, but Adwhirl has it. (Adwhirl let's you put in multiple sources for ads, like Admob, plus it let's you do your own ads for free.)

And I'm trying to set that up right now with a couple indy-dev friends of mine. It's pretty simple, we each add Adwhirl to our apps, let's say it shows up as a popup on the bottom of our "more apps" section. We can set it up so that it randomly shows each others apps right there.

But hey! if any indy-devs reading this post wanna join me just say so, the more the better. We can all help each other.

9. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    Hmm... I believe that independent devs can survive given they are somewhat of a different class of developer. EA has massive titles with copious amounts of content at a much higher price compared to other AppStore titles. Independent devs can make smaller and simpler games and sell them for a lower price, making up for it in quantity. However, the biggest hurdle that independent developers need to overcome is the marketing and public relations aspect of business.

10. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

The big fish were once just wee tadpoles like us now :) Sure it was a long time ago for the EA's of the world but there are those among us who have already begun to grow!

11. monteboyd

monteboyd Well-Known Member

As long as the "banner" spots on iTunes continue to be chosen by Apple and not paid-for the indie devs have a good little in there. As long as Apple decides to feature you that is of course. Up until now they've done a good job of mixing up the big name releases with smaller alternatives.

12. redbotsoftware

Jun 2, 2009
    iPhone App Developer
    SF Bay Area
    Yes! I think apple tries to feature smaller devs, it's more revenue for them. To showcase a little known app, they sell something most people may otherwise have missed. As apposed to featuring EA who already spends a fortune, and will sell a ton even without apple's help.