iPad Independent Games Festival

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by starjimstar, Mar 24, 2009.

1. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
  2. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    Not sure what the criteria are... Why isn't Bobble Surfer up there, (eg)?
    (Not that my favorite games should all be in there, but I always get the feeling these things appear out of the blue in what seems a bit of underhand manner?)

3. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I'd hardly consider bobble surfer to be a premium game.

4. ezone

ezone Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Game Developer @ Ezone.com
    Perth, Australia
    I think you have to pay $100 to enter your game in the IGF contest.

5. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    maybe it's not indie enough

6. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Nothing better than paying for fame. What a world we live in...

7. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Ruben and lullaby is interesting. It is art more than a game.

8. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    That's excatly my point. It seems it's not so much about promoting games as it is about promoting Apple's income, cf other thread on refunds and Apple's views on that one.

Apple is doing "things" with the Appstore. Nothing to promote good apps and weed out the STAGGERING amount of rubbish that is taking over the store. Jobs is often said to be a control freak, and teh APple store is mirroring this more every day. Devs will soon be put off and find other platforms to invest in...

9. HouseTreeRobot

HouseTreeRobot Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Living.
    UK
    The games had to be submitted around september/october to be considered, rolando (and 20,000 others :p) weren't out/ready for submission at the time so wouldn't have been considered.

I would expect to see rolando in the listings next year... although maybe the use of ngcomo may disqualify...

10. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Bobble Surfer FTW :D

on a more serious note...all those games are very popular and well known, sure they are by independent developers, but they are already well recognized. it's the hidden gem's like Bobble Surfer, that really deserve the recognition imo.

11. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    so i finally bought galcon.
    nice :)

12. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    umm.....
    the logic about rolando makes no sense
    zen bounds on there!
    it came months after rolando!!!
    and ngmoco is as indie as they get
    they just make iphone games, no other divisions to support them unlike EA pangea and gameloft

13. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    There is an "entry fee" for many of the gaming awards so you really need to use your best judgment and other sources in your buying decisions. Not that the games listed aren't good, but rather it's an incomplete list.

Btw, not all awards are paid or require an entry, but even outside of gaming, it's a prevalent practice. Stick to Better Homes for Housekeeping ;)

14. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I'm not surprised Dizzy Bee is there, it has one of the best graphics (and gameplay) on the iPhone. It's very polished and I even think it looks better than Rolando. I'm glad some of my most fave games are there, except Sway.

15. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Hopefully you bought it last weekend, while it was 40% off.

16. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    iTunes advertising isn't free: entry fees would cover that and some little trophies. And it's not that I don't like Dizzy Bee; it's just that this is a short list and I have seen more impressive and unique games, like Touchgrind and Sway, for example. I was, in fact, expecting to see Rolando here, but it has really fallen from grace. They should call it Choppedliverlando.

17. TheOZ

TheOZ Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Because they didn't necessarily have to finish/release the game before submitting it. There are plenty of games as I went over previous years of IGF that weren't finished, but completed enough to have the basic gameplay down for the game there are some submitted in 2007 that still aren't finished to this day, so yes it makes complete sense.

Ngmoco indie? Doesn't what defines an indie dev that it's like 1 person or like a super small company(couple people)? Not trying to be a smart ass it's a real question im not too familiar with ngmoco's company either so yea real question.

18. jawslover

jawslover Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    JERICHO, KS
    It still is 40% off:p

19. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Ohhh, It said only for the weekend, I guess it's like light riders. 0.99$ only until march 5th!

It's still .99.

20. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    That is a good question. I would have thought that ng:moco:) is on the same level as Chillingo. Or is it SecretExit that qualifies as indie? Then would Hand Circus (I giggle every time I say that name) be considered indie?