GameClub Incoboto (by Fluttermind)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 29, 2012.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]

Thanks, it may be a democracy, but it's YOUR game... =o)

**edit**

ha... didn't see square's comment before posting mine... =oP

2. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    yeah, totally disregard my comments on the audio quality...

playing again, this time, plugging it into my surround sound and laying in bed while playing... it's really fitting for the game. I will admit that when I picture space, I think of really bass heavy sounds... but after playing with some of my music, then going back to the OST, I'm really enjoying the original music now. =oD

Might even have to unzip the game and pop the mp3s onto my iPod. =oD

I really think you chose right when deciding to keep (or make) the tracks lo-fi... =o)

3. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Managing director, artist, musician, programmer, d
    U.K.
    I actually think it'll be an interesting experiment. I'll include a higher bitrate version of the music in one of the next builds. If people feel it's lost its soul, I'll swap it back on the very next build. :)

Likewise, if people complain that the app-size is too large, I'll rethink, too. I'll keep you guys up-to-date with what's going on.

P.S. I'm off to GDC next week, so feedback might be a bit slow. Thanks as ever for acting like a surrogate team. I almost makes me feel I'm not working on Inco alone. :)

If you're interested in hearing what it'll sound like, it'll be more like the preview of the music on the Bandcamp version of the album: http://denecarter.bandcamp.com/album/incoboto-the-soundtrack

4. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Sweet! Thank you for the band camp link! I'm gonna have to see if I can get a couple bucks into my PayPal account, and pick it up. =oD

Good luck at GDC! Hope you have fun! =oD

5. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England
    this for me is more important than sound. The sound fits perfectly for me as it stands now...but as soon as the app gets larger I may have to remove it as I don't have much space left.

App space is far more important as a consideration IMO (when frankly nothing is wrong with the game - people are nitpicking and it goes against the devs vision of how he wanted it)

6. theblackw0lf

theblackw0lf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    #86 theblackw0lf, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
    I'm stuck in Bleakstorm right now. I have 24 pieces, but can't figure out how to get the star that's in the forcefield.

Nevermind, figured it out

7. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]

I wouldnt really call it nitpicking. Sound design is just as important as anything else when it comes to games... Where as trying to keep your game under a certain size could end up harming the game quite a bit and result in sacrificing certain aspects of a game.

8. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England
    The dev made this game with the sound he wanted to fit in with the game....as a by product this meant the app size was small....a bonus if you will.

Now because a could of people have mentioned the sound dene may make the app bigger by changing the sound....against his original vision. He didn't try to keep his game under a certain size....and it didn't harm the game either.

9. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yes, he did make the game with sound that would fit into the game... But if you listen to the songs on the band camp page (or buy the soundtrack and listen in FLAC format) you can hear all of the high, mid, and low, that was cut out by making the bitrate of the mp3s extremely low when compressed for the game... Which kind of leads me to believe that the ORIGINAL vision was the higher quality (though still poppy) audio...

Now that I've got 320kbps mp3s of the soundtrack on my iPad, and playing those instead of the in-game music... It definitely does add to the immersion...

We can fight about it all night I'm sure... But the higher quality audio helps me, personally, become more immersed in the gameplay.

10. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Same here. I decided to deal with it, and then listened to the Bandcamp versions.
    Then switched back to the game.
    Now it's even harder to have peace with it now that I notice just how much is of the highs and lows have been sacrificed.

Dene... how is this for an out of the box idea?
    Isn't there a way that you could keep the app to it's original size and just add a bit of code, which detects if you have the high quality MP3's in your iPod (or "Music" as Apple has labeled it these days) and have those tracks play at the right places throughout the game?
    This way everyone will be happy.
    Just an idea. Not sure if it's even possible, but there you go. Who knows!

11. geekstuff

geekstuff Active Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Student
    it reminds a PC game, world of goo :)

12. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Managing director, artist, musician, programmer, d
    U.K.
    Replied in PM. Can't stop. GDC plans are in motion. Ack.

13. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I rarely use headphones with my iPad, so higher quality audio isn't a big deal to me, though I'm sure I'd try it with headphones if the higher quality audio is added... and then likely play it without headphone again. So I guess I'd be in favor of upping the bitrate, even though I may not take advantage of it much.

14. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    well anyway... onto another aspect of the game... the writing. =oD

I am REALLY enjoying the humor in the game... the further I get, the more screen shots I end up taking, and all of the text. The info areas from the corporation are great, and the dead people all laying around usually provide some great little snippets. =oD

My hats off to the dev for the writing... there's loads of iOS games with decent stories, but they just don't... click like here in Incoboto.

15. wilflare

wilflare Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2011
    Singapore
    man.. didn't know this game was out :D
    glad i got a chance to test it :D

congrats!

16. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Titles like these are built around immersion. I refuse to play it without headphones to really dive into the world as the developer has intended/created it.
    Apps like Angry Birds or a simple race game I hardly play on headphones as well.
    But games like Swords and Sorcery and this? They don't get played unless I have the opportunity to put my headphones on.

17. Altaem

Altaem Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Everything looked wonderful and reminded me of World of Goo so I grabbed this one without a second thought.

After the 1st 5 minutes had rage quited due to trouble with the controls. I was trying to play with 2 hands and kept mixing up move and jump.

Returned after a quick break and noticed it suggests playing one handed only. Took another minute to adjust but now it plays nice and smoothly.

Not far in yet ( just got the gloves ), but loving it so far.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    PocketGamer has been nailing the reviews recently: Incoboto just got a Gold rating (9/10).

19. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Hell yeah, definitely deserving!

20. Altaem

Altaem Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Why are the problems so time sensitive? The controls aren't good enough to allow so little room for error.

Solving problems = :)
    Attempting same problem 10+ times due to control glitch = :mad: