GameClub Incoboto (by Fluttermind)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Managing director, artist, musician, programmer, d
    U.K.
    #61 Dene, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
    The one above the forcefield? Read the nearby sign and do the opposite if what The Corporation says. The signs hold clues.

And if you're still stuck, PM me. I'll try not to give spoilers.

2. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I just bought this last night but have not had a chance to play it yet. Looks fantastic !

3. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    #63 scarypharaoh, Mar 3, 2012
    Nvm. Figured it out.:)

4. fivejane

fivejane Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 23, 2009
    #64 fivejane, Mar 3, 2012
    impressive!

Just finished the main game. This is a really nice piece of work, and my new favorite puzzle/platform game on iOS. Someone already mentioned Mario Galaxy and Portal, and I would throw in Zelda, because of the great item acquisition pacing.

I got seriously stuck several times, and each of the resulting "aha" moments was satisfying. Most puzzle games have at least a few "groaners" where the solutions require too much luck or precision rather than analysis and exploration. This game has none. Bravo.

Everyone should buy this game, and that's my review. At the current price ($2.99), it is an absolute steal for the quality.

A couple minor comments for the dev (may be spoilers):

1) It is VERY hard to take a tiny step to the left or right. The game considers any short tap to be a jump. Is that intentional, or am I just missing an input combo that will let me inch over? It happens in both control modes.

2) Control during the "boss" fights can get a bit annoying. It seems that when I pinch in or out to focus the beam, sometimes the game (or the OS) stops considering it to be a pinch and switches me into "move around" input mode. This can lead to Inco unexpectedly walking around and falling off things, knocking me out of battle. Maybe there should be an option to lock Inco in place during these encounters, although I can tell you've gone out of your way to make the controls minimal and elegant.

3) I like that you let me roam around post-game and collect starcharts, but I have a question: if one of the charts that I missed was hidden (i.e. have to find it using the beam), is it gone forever? I am two charts short of 50 right now and I'm concerned that they may be unattainable. It strikes me as odd to have a free-play mode for completionists, but then include missables in the only collection task. Edit - I found them (not hidden), but I am still curious about this. Also, I can't find the "prize" for getting all the star charts. Is it in-game or just the achievement?

Nitpicks aside, thank you for a really special game. I hope you make an absurd amount of money off this.

5. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
  6. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Read the sign and disobey.

7. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Thanks for the review!

As to your points (I'm in a hurry, so likely to be brief):

1) No it's not. If you touch to the far left of Inco, you go left. If you touch to the far right of inco you go right. If you touch JUST SLIGHTLY to the left or right, you will move at a snail's pace. i.e. your speed is relative to the distance you press from Inco.

2) I think this tends to occur if you're holding the game in two hands and straining to put your thumbs on the screen to form a 'lens'. If you put two fingers on the screen with one hand (say, thumb and forefinger) you'll find this never happens. There's a 'cutoff' distance for lens-size and you are probably skating right to the edge of it all the time.

3) Hidden stuff can still be found, even after the end. The final prize is just a rare achievement, I'm afraid. It is rare, though, so that should be some consolation!

- Dene (need sleeeeep)

8. fivejane

Patreon Bronze

Feb 23, 2009
    @Candykiller If you're still having trouble, examine (using pinch) all the objects. They tell you how they work.

9. fivejane

Patreon Bronze

Feb 23, 2009
    1) Brilliant! I usually use the sides for visibility but this is a nice control mechanic for precise moves.

2) I'll give it a shot.

3) Cool - and no worries! I just didn't know if I should keep looking for something in-game.

Thanks again.

10. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    #70 Candykiller, Mar 3, 2012
    Thanks, I've read what all the objects do but I still don't understand what I'm trying to achieve.
    Do I need to smack both of the hit switches at the same time somehow?

EDIT: It's ok I've done it!

11. fivejane

Patreon Bronze

Feb 23, 2009
    You need both lights to be green at the same time.

12. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, I've managed to do it now. Thanks for your help.

13. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    k... bought this the day it came out, but just started to get into it today... and actually came to say the same thing about the music...

just like Bombardiers Guild... it's encoded at 64kbps, and just ruins the whole atmospheric experience. I ended up taking off my headphones and playing without music... which really took away from the experience.

Anywho...

even just a bump upto 128kbps would be fine... don't have to go crazy like Square and give us FLAC files... (though between 240-320 would be great... or even 192-320 vbr... if you don't want the bigger 320kbps files... but with the game being 24MB @ compressed, it already seems a bit small, as the game is something that I think would feel right at 70+ - just from my experience with iOS games and their graphical quality+length and everything... =oP )

ANYWAY...

I have gotten stuck a couple of times, but nothing that turning the game off and then coming back to it about 20-30 minutes later didn't solve.

This, Waking Mars, and Call of Cthulhu have totally eaten up my day off (been playing these 3 since 7 am... WOOHOO!!) - so... great game! =oD

14. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[size=+2]INCOBOTO[/size]
    is one of the nominees for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    29/02/2012
    [/size]

Do you like this moody, challenging, adventure-puzzler in the spirit of Portal and Ico?

[size=+3][thread=124222]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -​

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    As the developer already explained, the low-fi quality is intentional. Go listen to some Guided by Voices or Neutral Milk Hotel, then come back to the game -- maybe then you'll get it.

16. kapukapper

kapukapper Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Yikes, I'm glad I checked the forum! I was about to throw in the towel!

Note to Dene: Love the game, but there is a bug in OneBreath where the round forcefield never appears. It requires restarting the game over from the very beginning to get it to appear so you can get the starpiece. I'm on iPad 1 running 5.0.1, if that helps!

17. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Is there any trick to jumping from a grappling hook point? When I need to go higher I just can't seem to manage it very well.

18. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    sorry, I tired to read all the posts... must have missed that one.

But alrighty... I've never really got lo-fi ambient music... I love ambient+idm/electronica (whatever you wanna call it you genre fanatics) - but personally, always thought that lowering the quality of the music really took away from the immersion of it... you don't get the full coverage of hi to low end sounds that totally blanket you...

Anyway... I'll try it again... but if I can't get into it... is there an option to listen to our own music? I haven't really used my iDevices as audio players, but I might just have to throw on some AtA or Oxyd just for this one... =oP

19. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    You can listen to your own. I have versions of all tracks with lower compression and may update with these if people prefer. This is a democracy, after all. :)

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Democracy?! No, no, game design should be an absolute monarchy ;).

I guess if it doesn't make the file size ridiculously huge, there's no harm to increasing the quality.