GameClub Incoboto (by Fluttermind)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 29, 2012.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Sorry to post in a pretty much dead thread... I doubt this game will ever receive another update or anything, but I just got done playing through it again (for the 4th or 5th time now), and was kinda wondering if anyone else still plays this?

It's... definitely one of my favorite games (in any genre) on the iPhone. If I can keep this iPhone 5 around after I upgrade (I've got a MOGA controller... that only fits the 5... it'd be such a waste to get rid of it...), it's never leaving. =oP

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I don't have it, but maybe you can tell me how dies this one compare to Momoko. I wanted to buy Momoko but it's iOS8+ Unfortunately. Does Incoboto have freedom of exploration of the different planets? Are there structures/buildings as in Momoko?

3. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I...

Have no idea.

I'm still on 7.1.2

=o/

But there are a lot of different planets... It's more of a puzzle platformer, with the emphasis on puzzles.
    But the story, presentation, graphics, ect... Is all so incredibly well done. I really can't praise it enough.
    There are starcharts that are scattered throughout the game, adding another goal to go after...
    The controls work very well and even though everything in the game can be done with one finger (with the original/non-vpad control scheme), the puzzles you have to solve definitely have the potential to make you really think (dependant on your... Hmmm.... comfortabless [i don't know if this is exactly the word I'm looking for] with the genre). Keeping in mind that they can all be solved with one finger does help limit your options (with some of the harder puzzles, I was very glad this was the case). =oP

You collect stars, opening portals to other planets, solve puzzles to get more stars, open the next portal, repeat... But there's gadgets/items you'll get along the way, adding to the mechanics, opening/making accessable places in previous levels. Oh, and hidden items...

There's more to it, but I'm kinda rambling...

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Let me add one thing: Incoboto was my favorite game of 2014 -- on any platform. It's beautiful, challenging, at once funny and painfully melancholic, as polished as a Ninetendo classic. This is the game that explains why I get angry when the mainstream gaming press chooses to pay attention to the latest ridiculous free-to-play game instead of the genuine artistry that's coming out of the mobile platform.

But that's just one man's opinion :).

5. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Managing director, artist, musician, programmer, d
    U.K.
    That's so lovely to hear. FWIW I'm still making games, and will update this if it ever stops working (just let me know).

My latest game is on PC/Mac, and free. Not 'free', but actually free:

http://gamejolt.com/games/spellrazor/123648

It's quite a different kind of game, but I'll be back with melancholic puzzle stuff soon once I return to 'BeMuse'.

6. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks for the info. Even though it seems quite different to Momoko, it sounds a quite good game actually. I might give it a try. :)

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    This is legitimately one of those games you stick on your phone and never think of deleting. EVER.

8. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    That would be me.
    Unfortunately, I never finished it on my iPad 3 and my iPad 3 got sold over 2 years ago.
    The tablet itch came back and I bought an iPad Air 2 near the end of 2015.
    One of the first games in the batch of "going to finish this all the way through" was this amazing game.
    And.
    I finished it! Finally! :D

I remember advising Dene to upgrade the quality of the music when it first came out (it was encoded with a very low bitrate, causing serious artifacts and "hollowness" in the listening experience) and he actually did! And to this day I am so thankful he did, because the ambiance really pulls you in and I personally always play with headphones for full immersion with titles such as this one.
    Don't have the Mini version for my iPhone, but I hope it's a direct port with the same quality audio assets as the iPad version. ;)

9. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Yup, Pony. It's a 90% straight port with the original soundtrack (as I remember). It runs slightly slower (on purpose), and some of the levels were slightly tweaked to allow for the smaller screen to make sense. Pain in the ass, it was, too. :)

10. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Oh that's so awesome to hear!!! I'll have to check that out tomorrow... and it's SO SO SO SO awesome to hear that you're still planning on finishing BeMuse. Those screens you shared on your Fluttermind blog always looked so friggin fantastic.

Anyway... yeah... nice to hear I'm not the only one who still has this on their phone. Personally, I consider it an AppStore classic. One of those rare games that EVERY iOS gamer should play through at least once.

I can't tell you how glad I am that you did an iPhone version. I sold my iPad years ago (actually probably about a couple months after this mini version came out) - so thank you very much for your additional work on the game, bringing it over to the smaller screen.

Oh yeah... I downloaded it a long time ago, but the soundtrack is still up on Bandcamp...
    https://denecarter.bandcamp.com/album/incoboto-the-soundtrack

Thanks for that too! =oD

11. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Playing through your game on iPad already back on my iPad3, I was quite surprised to suddenly see the Mini version pop up. No doubt this must indeed have been quite the design challenge to translate the entire experience on a much smaller screen.

Is there a chance you will develop something for iOS once again somewhere in the future by the way?

12. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    There is a chance of me making BeMuse on mobile, but it's tough. The reason I stumbled so much with BeMuse is that I wanted:

a) To make a game about exploration
    b) To NOT make another platformer
    c) To create a control scheme so elegant they'd work ANYWHERE. On any target. Any situation.

This led to a node-based navigation/movement system which meant than moving wasn't even remotely fun. For me, that's death. I tried thinking "I'm a good enough designer to ignore that. The game isn't about traversal, after all. It's about experimenting with the world and...

...it still felt like crap even after the self-justification.

SO! At the moment, my plan is to start the landscape engine again, far simpler, and then put all the complex mechanics back in. That probably means a joystick/keyboard combo, and I really don't want to do a floating joystick game if I can help it. I hate them!

As a side note, t's really hard to justify focusing on mobile games these days. The ones that *are* good are all designed from the outset to work with a touch-screen, which means a necessary reduction in movement/tactile control. And even making those is a bit of a lottery in terms of actually making enough money to live.

I'm ultimately an arcade-game designer. It's what I do really well. I can make things *feel* really good. I'm struggling to find a way to make that work on touch devices. Inco kind of worked, but I probably lost more review points because of the controls than anything else.

Sorry for the long answer.

TLDR: Maybe, but getting the game right comes first.

- Dene

13. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    #533 Dene, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  14. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Good luck with the game Dene but wherever you end up releasing the game, I'll be getting it as Incoboto is one of my favorite game ever on mobile.

15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    =o)

Yeah, I check it out yesterday after I posted the Incoboto Soundtrack link.

I love it... and Dust.

All 3 are great. hehe. =oD

16. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Yeah... 'Dust'. All of 'Dust' was performed live on a modular synth... while I was in a really weird mood. It's also really harsh and... not to everyone's taste. :)

@killercow That's so lovely to hear. Thanks.

17. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Not at all. A very interesting read and can totally relate to what you are saying here, but I just had to ask.
    And no worries, this won't stop me from looking into your other games just because they are outside of iOS. Primarily I am still a PC -and occasional console- gamer. ;)

18. onyx77

onyx77 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Great game. Not sure how it evaded me for so long!

19. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I'm sorry, I don't know where the appropriate place to ask this is, as the HD build of the game was included in the GameClub updates and I can't seem to find that thread - but....

The virtual control option (where you actually see the movement arrows and jump button) seems to still be set up for the old 3.5 inch screens. Is there any way that they could be moved further out, closer to the edges of the screen? Or maybe even give us an option to place them wherever we like?
    It's VERY uncomfortable playing with them as it is right now....

2FFC9144-7476-4651-820B-F4FE05CE436C.png

20. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Yeesh. That’s kind of awful, isn’t it?
    I’m no longer maintaining the game, so I literally *can’t* fix it any more, only GameClub can. You could try to prod them via Twitter? If I think of a better avenue I’ll let you know.