GameClub Incoboto (by Fluttermind)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

OMG..I must be blind. You'd think all time I spent doing the adjacent puzzle I would have noticed. Thanks, got past it.

@Sumosplash - Late to the party huh? Lol, yeah I love this game too. It's one of a kind. Don't know how far I have to go (just got to Sunshine system), but I'm taking my time, reading everything and admiring the art.

2. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Managing director, artist, musician, programmer, d
    U.K.
    #482 Dene, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    Thanks again, folks. @SumoSplash - you bring up a really interesting point. For an iOS game, Incoboto's pretty big with a lot of different 'stuff' to do. The challenge for me was to make sure that I didn't kill off early players' interest by introducing too many game features, while not boring the hell out of the very people I most wanted to play the game (Metroid fans, for example). Glad you made it past the initial bit of pseudo-tutorial-blandsville! Happy death, decay and desolation to ye!

[P.S. Titley-changey-cleanup (to IncobotoMini) will be with you as soon as Apple approves it]

3. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    I got stuck on the same area you did, but once I beat that part I really felt like the game opened up. And yes, late to the party, but better late than never.

Haha, yeah, Metroid pedigree here. Super Metroid/Zero Mission is the quintessential action platformer with puzzle elements sprinkled in. I can feel the Metroid in this for sure, but more from the perspective of puzzle platformer with action elements sprinkled in. It is also similar to Metroid with the slow start and open world feel that lets you go at your own pace.

I have a trivia question, even for you, Dene... What has NOT happened to my character the entire time I've been playing that is almost a given to happen in just about every other game?

4. Bronxsta

Okay, off topic, but you're a Metroidvania fan? Have you seen this game on Kickstarter, Ghost Song? Might be up your alley

5. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Well, 'Metroidvania' I've always thought sounded so sloppy off the tongue, so I'd like to say I'm a fan of Castletroid ;)

That would be up my alley if it wasn't a Metroid clone. That just looks WAY too similar. Might as well just play Metroid :D

6. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    #486 Dene, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
    Oh, that's easy. Unwanted sexual aggression from badgers. Incoboto doesn't do that, and it's such a trope in most other games. Oh, and dying. But mostly the badger thing.

7. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    I do grow tiresome of the badger humping. But yes! There is no dying, or any health whatsoever! If I had a prize I'd send it to you, although I'm starting to think I should have excluded the creator of the game from answering :rolleyes:

:p

8. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Dene I did in fact put the game down intentionally to prolong the experience. I often do this with games I really enjoy that have a definitive beginning and ending, to the point where I still have some games on my device that I still haven't finished. It's a form of sweet torture to sit here and tease myself, thinking about how I am going to swing electrode A to connect it to electrode B to illuminate electrode C, or jumping in front of turrets just for fun that utilize transport orbs as ammunition, or imagining shadowy, devious black suns and how they squiggle and twist around in the twilight sky.

How long can I hold out?

Ok, back to Incoboto :D

9. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Heh... and now you can enjoy it with a slightly nicer title. It's up now.

10. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Nice, IncobotoMini. Funny... When I was downloading, there was a picture of what I think is the iPad version app icon, and now it is back to the same icon as before. Weird.

11. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Huh. Weird. You have a little yellow sun on a blue background, yes?

12. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Yes, yellow sun, blue-green background, nothing else, title says IncobotoMini, as requested. I know this is how it should look, but the picture changed as it was downloading and then reverted back. I must admit, I liked the other picture better, and was getting a little excited. Compared to it, this picture is plain. But whatever, you've done enough my friend! Go make games and Bemuse us all! :D

13. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #493 Andy C83, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    Thanks for the update, Dene. I didn't get the new icon either. :p

14. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #494 SumoSplash, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
    Yeah, the icon listed on the App Store is different than what I have on my phone. Weird.

EDIT: Ok, I definitely have what appears to be the wrong icon. I just looked again at the App Store icon and it has Helios in the top left corner and Inco standing on the planet in the bottom right hand corner with the word 'Mini' inside the planet. The icon on my phone is what I said previously, that I have a somewhat generic looking picture of Helios directly in the middle of the icon, no planet, no Inco, no 'Mini' in the corner.

It was the word 'Mini' in the App Store icon that gave it away.

So, the title has changed over successfully (IncobotoMini) but the picture is not what it should be.

DOUBLE EDIT:

This is how the icon appears on my phone, but with a blue-green background color instead of the red shown here:
    [​IMG]

This is how the icon appears on the App Store, but without the word 'Incoboto' and with 'Mini' in the bottom right corner:
    [​IMG]

I've also tried restarting my phone to get it to switch over, which has worked in similar situations before, but didn't work here.

15. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Hmm... I shall look into the old-icon showing issue.

By the way, did any of you read the huuuuuge post-mortem on the Fluttermind site (you guys all get a shout out)? If so, was it interesting? Worth me doing more of this kind of thing?

16. Bronxsta

I did. Then again I'm fascinating by game development, especially indies, so I thought it was a great read. Actually the article was what ultimately made me decide to get Incoboto.

17. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Likewise .. Very interesting read! I like the behind the scene insight, and the lessons learned. I already had a weak spot for indie developers, and reading your blog made me buy incoboto right away .

18. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Cool. No doubt that the intended icon is way better. I don't know if this helps, but the icon that is not supposed to be there is the one I've had since I bought the game last week. It wasn't until I downloaded the update that I noticed the icon that is supposed to be there, since it changed over briefly while it was downloading. Once the download finished, it went back to the plain icon. So I have never had the intended icon on my phone. I just wanted to clarify that, in case it wasn't clear.

19. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    The fact that it showed up only momentarily is utterly strange. I'll try to fix tomorrow if I get a chance.

20. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Momentarily, as in for the duration of the download. That was it. So, it WAS there.

I've had this happen before with another game (I think it was Major Mayhem) and restarting my phone fixed it, but not this time. I'm sure if I deleted the game and reinstalled it would have a greater chance of switching it, but who knows for sure, and I'm 2/3 through, so that would suck.

Thanks for looking into it Dene.