Universal INC - Remaster (by OrangePixel)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 9, 2011.

1. orangepascal

orangepascal Well-Known Member

For those running into the "no bullet" problem (even after releasing touchscreen and pressing it again to reload) what device are you using?

no matter how hard we try, we are not getting the problem on iPad2 or iPod 2nd gen :/

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #42 metalcasket, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
    orangepascal, I'm on an iPhone 4 with iOS 5.

Just wanted to say that as someone who initially dismissed and publicly called Meganoid "a poor man's League of Evil", you've completely proved me wrong. Your games just seem to find a permanent place on my phone, and INC is no different. Great game...really, really enjoying it. :)

That being said, hate to join the crowd here, but yeah...there's just something about the controls that's a little off as far as placement goes. I find that I need to press above the jump button itself to just jump, because I'm always shooting while jumping.

3. orangepascal

The jump/shoot combo is actually on purpose. There are areas in the levels where you need that functionality to survive. Pressing on the outer edges of the button works just as good, but will only use one of the two actions.

We had the buttons more apart (visually) but that made people complain about the distance between the buttons and didn't make it clearer.

We had an extra button in between the jump and shoot buttons to show the 3rd functionality, but this looked confusing for most testers.

And we also tried having bigger button-icons, but that would just get in the way of the game screen.. so we ended up with this mid-way solution: small buttons, but large touch area's with overlapping functions at the center.

we continue to check for improvements tho! so feedback is welcome

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #44 metalcasket, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
    Oh, don't get me wrong, it becomes quite apparent in the first few levels that you need to jump and shoot at the same time to survive. :p As far as functionality goes, it works perfectly.

My problem is precisely that...the visual placement of the buttons. It's just in my nature to press directly on the button to jump, but no matter how many times I make sure my finger is riiiiiiiiiiight on it, I'm shooting at the same time...it's only when I have a moment to breathe from the game's (epic) hectic-ness (what else can I call it? :p) that I remember to press above the button.

If I was a tester, I honestly would've told you to go with the 3rd button in between jump and shoot, but even distancing the buttons would've been better than it is now. Again, you can't please everyone, and the majority always wins but maybe you could add the 3rd button as an alternate control scheme? That would be awesome. :)

EDIT: OR if you allow iPad users to customize the button placement in an update, maybe add that as a feature for iPhone users too? Oh...but....ummmm, yeah...that wouldn't work unless you did add a 3rd button because...ugh...how would one do the shoot/jump combo if the buttons were placed on opposite sides of the screen, hypothetically speaking. >_>

5. orangepascal

and there you have our problem with adding flexible controls ;)

For people with an iPad/iPhone combo we can recommend getting the Joypad app on your iphone, and use that to play the game, makes it easier!

(joypad app: http://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/joypad-game-controller/id411422117?mt=8)

6. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Well, I'd say so far this is a really solid platformer. Love the graphic style! I've gotten used to the controls (I think...) But yeah OP does it again!

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    totally agree... it's another awesome platformer from OrangePixel... mixed with just the right amount of run'n'gun gameplay that's been missing from the AppStore for quite some time. =oD

Really enjoying this one.

8. Personally I think it's awesome, and the music is amazing! But I'm biased... ;)

I've actually never recreated the gun not shooting bug either?

9. dark1x

dark1x Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Gave it a shot and I do quite like it, but I really have to wonder why Orangepixel is continuing to release games like this running at such low framerates. It's a 2D platformer that doesn't even run at 30 fps (more like 20). It's very choppy looking in motion.

Surely this is something that can be addressed.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    You seem obsessed by frame rates! Game plays fine for me whatever the frame rate is

11. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Great game. I do wish the jump and shoot buttons were side by side though. I just can't get used to them being stacked like they are now...

12. imoby

imoby Member

Jan 21, 2010
    I too have had a problem with the no bullet bug. My device is an iPhone 4 with iOS 5 in it. I have seemed to be able to fix it by getting out of the app and then going to the multitasking bar and removing it and running the app again. So far I haven't encountered the bug again, yet!

HOWEVER, my concern right now has to do with the controls. The bullet and the jump button are too close to each other in way that they get mixed up when I am playing. Maybe place them to the left and right of each other rather than on top!

13. poutini

poutini Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Student
    Calgary
    Definitely enjoying it more than Meganoid. Maybe not as much as Stardash, but eh, you can't win them all. Weird button placement though. Here's what I'd suggest.

Expand the range of the (-->) right arrow - if my finger goes even a tiny bit beyond the range of the visible button my character stops and I usually end up dying. If the pause button is the reason for keeping the radius so small, move the pause button to the top right of the screen. It looks awkward in its current location anyway.

Gameplay-wise, it's a little repetitive, but I like the frantic pace and art style. It would be awesome to see you do more with a variety of weaponry in future games.

14. orangepascal

A new update is on it's way:

- fixed "no bullets" bug
    - fixed bug causing higher player level then the max
    - fixed "player falling" bug on first start
    - fixed cloudsaving of progress (openfeint only for now)

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Played a fair few levels last night, dont mind the jump/fire buttons being so close, as pointed out i can see why they did that.

I'm loving Orange Pixels platform games. Please please do a follow up to Stardash with longer levels though ? Loved the original but with that great style of graphics/gameboy look a sequel would be a dream !

16. orangepascal

We have some ideas for a "Super Stardash" but no real plans yet! First adding a new world to Stardash hopefully in the next two months.

17. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    And hopefully you will finish Meganoid now ;) No new game from orangepixel for me until the old one gets finished...

18. orangepascal

We are 1 level design away from the 100!
    The testing of the levels is taking most of the time :p

19. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I agree, the controls need to be user-configurable for both the iPad and iPhone. My only complaint about this game is the current placement of the controls, they're just not in the right position for me and I can't get used to the jump button being over the fire button, they should be the flipped. If the game has customizable controls this wouldn't be a problem. Vertex Blaster recently added this feature to their game and it's perfect.

20. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    This game deserves much more lovin'. It drips with awesomeness. It's pushing Speedrun as my favorite platform and for me thats saying alot. Fantasticalicious game. Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! (can I get more fanboy than that?)