Universal In Churning Seas (by Rodolphe Gonzales)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 27, 2015.

1. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Really liked reading your post about this game!
    Well done! Good job, man! :D

2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #42 rIcHrAnDoM, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Thanks for sharing, it's refreshing to see a developer with realistic expectations and relatively positive results.

One explanation for the GC question might be Family Share.

Anyway, great game and I'm sure with such an upbeat approach to developing we haven't seen everything you've got to bring to the gaming table :D

Richard

3. Bouc Astral Productions

Bouc Astral Productions Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Montreal & Berlin
    Thanks guys! Indeed the family pack explanation makes sense... :)

4. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    boost in sales when you went universal was probably from people like me. I saw it when it came out for iPad and had a look at it in the store on my iPad but just put it in my wish list and only bought it when the iPhone update came out :D
    ironically I think I've spent more time playing it on my iPad,

5. Bouc Astral Productions

Feb 6, 2015
    Montreal & Berlin
    I'm curious, Sexy Pirate, why do you end up playing on iPad most of the time? I personally feel that, unsurprisingly, the atmosphere is a little more immersive on a bigger screen.

6. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    hmm not sure really. I usually play quick pick up games on my phone ( *cough ahem* while I'm at work) but I liked sitting down with this at home and taking my time. probably like you say it just felt better and of course I could hear the sound better while at home.
    I have a way better high score on iPad too.
    I've still got it installed on both iPhone and iPad, right next to prune.
    but I guess there's just some games you prefer playing on one device more than the other. same way I don't play clickers on my iPad.

7. Bouc Astral Productions

Feb 6, 2015
    Montreal & Berlin
    #47 Bouc Astral Productions, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    A little news on the upcoming update to In Churning Seas. I've been working on a second game mode called "1+2=3" (this is a working title ;)):

(better in full screen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kWDm4C9xs8 )

The goal is to reach the highest number by combining numbered rocks. As in other puzzles like Threes (<3), 1s and 2s combine to make 3s, which combine to make 6s, which combine to make 12s, which combi...∞.

Here, the sensitive gameplay element is gravity. It's crucial to build up your piles so that one combination (of a 1 and a 2) at the top, will trigger a cascade of combinations as the pile collapses. Each time you create a numbered block, see level increases by a notch, though, so it's important to take your time to think about how you build your pile.

On the technical side, all is almost done, I'm just struggling with an issue in xcode's validation process (if somebody's good at that kind of things, here's my help request on stack overflow: http://goo.gl/TNiNWY :))

8. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    After reading this thread I decided to support the dev and purchase the game, I love it when devs come to this forum to chat with us. Excellent game, it's refreshing

9. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    By the way, the soundtracks remind me of the band "air", it's pretty good

10. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Awesome news! Looking forward to this. Really feel Apple should have featured this game in its round-up of "Minamalist Games" as I find it to be wothy of the likes of Prune etc.

11. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Very true! I've always been that way too! Some games I really enjoy on a big screen and others I'd rather play on my phone! Some I have on both devices, but usually still prefer on one to the other. ;) Also, I've noticed sometimes with the same game, I score/play better on one device than the other consistantly! Odd... One of those things that 'just is'. :D

12. Bouc Astral Productions

Feb 6, 2015
    Montreal & Berlin
    Thanks rich_952000, that's quite a compliment...

13. Bouc Astral Productions

Feb 6, 2015
    Montreal & Berlin
  14. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

I picked this up last night as well.
    Really well crafted game with a nice gentle ambience.

Did you create this totally with Codea? All done direct on the iPad? If so, I'm amazed!

I did see a couple of small glitches.
    1) if you tap on the submerged part of the rock it places the next piece there in a way I'm sure is not meant to happen.

2) when the game first starts and when a new piece is generated you see it rapidly cycle through loads of shapes first. Maybe should only appear for the "real" one?

Lovely game though, the amount of care that went into the making of it is so clearly evident.

15. Bouc Astral Productions

Feb 6, 2015
    Montreal & Berlin
    #55 Bouc Astral Productions, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
    Hey Baracus!

Thanks! Your first point is indeed a bug. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll try and squash it in the next update. What you're refering to in your second point is actually meant to be like that (for the first block, though, it does seem like it takes too long, I'll long into it).

It's indeed entirely made in Codea (except for the game center and tweeting parts, which are Objective C addons made by Zoyt, a Codea user). I started on this project to learn how to program video games while I was stuck at home with collarbone and ribs fractures (bikes and potholes...). With quite a bit of morphine, too, so there is that... ;) All I could use, computer-wise, was the touch interface of my iPad, so I built an advanced prototype with Codea on iPad. Then, I exported the project and continued coding the original files in Xcode. Codea is so great, you can do basically any kinds of games with it. I really love it...

16. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Hi! Wow that's really impressive! Did you do any kind of programming before this (I mean not for games)?

I have got Codea but I've never done any coding before so not got very far at all with it - mostly just tried to decipher some of the demo projects and other people's contributions.

I really just bought it out of interest to see how they had done something like that just with touch and yea it does look really capable but it's beyond my skills and I don't have time to sit and learn something that deep right now :)

I would love to put some of my concepts into reality one day though - maybe I should buy a motorbike!

Really impressed with what you have done. Must have taken a lot of determination to not give up!

Interesting that you can just continue work on it in Xcode. I had no idea LUA was even compatible but I don't know much about programming languages :)

17. Bouc Astral Productions

Feb 6, 2015
    Montreal & Berlin
    Thanks! :)

I don't actually have any formal programming education, but my "work" (I'm on a phd thesis...) involves quite a bit of coding, mainly for scientific models. So I wasn't a stranger to conditions and loops when I started, but that's about it. I didn't know anything about how to show shapes on a screen, for instance. Codea makes it incredibly easy to step in and code with minimal programming knowledge, just by trial and error. Everybody is really helpful on their forum, too, my beginner problems and questions where solved thanks to these guys, actually.

You can indeed export your projects from Codea, send them to Dropbox, and import them back into Xcode. Once in Xcode, you simply open the Lua files and code as if you were in Codea. Codea projects include an interpreter so that Xcode, which is normally clueless about Lua, sees your Lua files as if they were made if regular Obj C or Swift code. It's really great. :)

18. Bouc Astral Productions

Feb 6, 2015
    Montreal & Berlin
    In Churning Seas free for a few days

Hi everybody,

We're dropping In Churning Seas' price to free, for a few days. Thanks for everybody who supported us so far!

Also, we're still planning a free update soon, nothing super fancy (graphics and gameplay tweaks mainly), but worth publishing. I've been busy submitting my phD thesis and wasn't able to debug it in the recent weeks, but I'll get back at it very soon...

The price change should be rolling out as we speak (I hope), enjoy!

19. forsakenxe

forsakenxe Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Hey I picked it up while it was free and I like it :)

I would actually love it, if there was a "free" building mode. Without the pressure of the rising sea or unlimited solid rocks, something like that. I dunno if that is too much work but it would add more to the relaxing zen-like atmosphere :)

Good Game guys and always glad to see communicative devs. :)

20. Bouc Astral Productions

Feb 6, 2015
    Montreal & Berlin
    Thanks Forsakenxe!

Actually another member suggested I should implement such a "Zen mode". So I started working on it for an upcoming update. Right now, I'm working on a pretty major update which would include the existing mode, a second mode with a new "turn-by-turn" game-play (think Threes with gravity), and possibly the "Zen mode". I'm struggling with CPU limitations for that last mode though, so I'm not promizing anything yet (physics objects are expensive, computationally speaking, and letting players create as many as they want could prove burdensome on older systems)...

I'll keep you guys posted, thanks for the support! :)