Universal In Churning Seas (by Rodolphe Gonzales)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 27, 2015.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Again you can't leave a review on iTunes with a promo code. If you think the game looks awesome then help the dev. It's just one dollar !

2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Yep, easily worth it too. Really nice physics stacker with some unique mechanics. Just to post what's already been mentioned this cool game comes complete with GameCenter leaderboards and achievements ;)

3. Rythan

Rythan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2014
    One code would be sweet! :)

4. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Wow rlly. Smfh.

5. Bouc Astral Productions

Bouc Astral Productions Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Montreal & Berlin
    I haven't got any more promo code left at the moment, thanks for your interest! Now I'll get working on the next update (winds as a gameplay element, probably, should be fun...)

Have you got an idea of what you'd like being developed on the game? I've been thinking we should do something, gameplay-wise, with the existing bird/fish predatory dynamics. Send your wishes here! :)

6. 8BitFlash

8BitFlash Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    What, he said he would give a promo code out. And I would post a review on here in the thread. Geez

7. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #27 bigrand1, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    Definitely worth the measly buck, man! Can't go wrong. Then you can help 'em out in the store! I like to support devs! If I have one complaint it would be that I would rather have it for my phone (Android) instead, but will happily enjoy it on my iPad, though! :D

8. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Pay the dollar. If a dev is dedicated enough to put this much into his game, satisfying its players and listen to feedback/suggestions, they deserve a dollar from you.

9. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    I just bought this last night and played a few games. easy worth the few penny's it costs, I'd say just another stacking game but the music and atmosphere is really great. it's nice to have a game that I can relax with instead of all the twitchy type games lately.
    i do like the fact you unlock new shapes as you progress so it's not just the same every time.
    gets my stamp of approval. ##

10. jonathantopf

jonathantopf Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Games artist
    London
  11. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    #31 Lavender, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    In Churning Seas. Wow... Would you believe that this is the developer's first game?
    It's hard to express how wonderful this hypnotic and unusual building/physics game is.
    But wait... It's so much more then just a 'building' game.
    The concept is that you are building... an island.

With simple taps of your finger, your goal is to build up varied shapes as high and even as you can before they all fall or the moving water swallows them.

There's these creative, fun and sometimes unusual little quips or tales that are told between each round that sometimes makes me think of people sitting around in a pub telling tales and 'shanties' of folklore and superstition in hushed and secretive tones. The writing takes you into a different time or place where certain stories told aloud could bring misfortune or sickness for generations.

The game does become challenging. After you've reach a certain goal height, a new shape is introduced in the next round. You need to figure out the perfect placement of each shape in order to keep building. You might end up with a large hexagon and then a tiny triangle or a long stick or rod. Putting the shape in the wrong spot can cause part of your build to fall into the sea and if some of your island or shapes are not above water at any time; it's round over.

In Churning Seas is made with soft colors and background noises of the sea.
    The music has a melancholy sound that adds to the overall feeling of the game.

Turn off the lights, cuddle up in your favorite cozy spot, take a breath, and play.
    In Churning Seas is a fantastic game to help you de-stress and challenge you at the same time.

12. wristtattoo

wristtattoo Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Designer / Developer
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Impressive graphics and gameplay. It's a great casual balancing game with a creepy soundtrack. Instantly fell in love with it. Plus there's a cool home screen icon which made it an instabuy!

13. Bouc Astral Productions

Feb 6, 2015
    Montreal & Berlin
    Thank you so much for your kind words, it's very encouraging! And it's a thrill to read how much you got what we were trying to make.

14. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    You're welcome. I do enjoy the game. I've already gifted it to a couple people! :)

15. Bouc Astral Productions

Feb 6, 2015
    Montreal & Berlin
    #35 Bouc Astral Productions, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    I didn't know Klaassen's work, it's beautiful, I need to check it out. Thanks!

16. Shadow Bug

Shadow Bug Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    This looks awesome. Do you have a trailer?

17. Bouc Astral Productions

Feb 6, 2015
    Montreal & Berlin
  18. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    How does it run on iPad 3? Any more optimizations to come?

19. Bouc Astral Productions

Feb 6, 2015
    Montreal & Berlin
    #39 Bouc Astral Productions, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    It has been tested on iPad retina (4th and up), so I can't recommend buying it right now if you have a 3rd generation (you'll be able to play, but you may well experience fps drops from time to time).
    I've been working hard on optimizing the code to make it run at 60 fps on as many platform as possible, but I've been hitting a wall. Physics simulation being notoriously tough on CPUs, I'm not sure if this wall is surpassable or not...

20. Bouc Astral Productions

Feb 6, 2015
    Montreal & Berlin
    #40 Bouc Astral Productions, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Hi there!

ICS has been out since the end of May on iPad, and early July for iPhone (and iPad, it's a universal app). It's as good a time as any to share some figures with you. Please note that my promotion budget was non-existent. I just sent promo codes to about 30 game review blogs, and talked about it on this forum. Also, a nice forum member here helped me spread the word on Reddit.

Number of views in the App store:

[​IMG]

Number of sales:

[​IMG]

There are three peaks. The first one is the iPad launch. The second one is the release of version 1.1, which made the game iPhone compatible. That time, ICS got featured in the "hot new game" section of Touch Arcade for a few days, which was great and probably helped get some views/sales and spread the peak a little. And the last one is related, I think, to a review ICS got in 148 games.

This last point made me realize how very important getting reviews seem to be in the success of an independent game. This seems obvious, but I now have a confirmation. Also, to the best of my knowledge, out of about 30 promo codes sent for the original release, and then 30 more for the first update, 2 major blogs picked it up for a review. A YouTuber made a video as well, and a couple of smaller blogs wrote a review.

Also, it's interesting to see how some peaks don't seem to be perfectly correlated between views and sales. The iPad launch got the most views, but only the second best sales of the two peaks. The iPhone launch, in this regard, was more successful. This is probably due to the sheer number of iPhones vs. iPad sold around the world, but I guess the Touch Arcade "hot new app" exposure has something to do with it.

Finally, very few people talked about it on social media (on twitter at least: https://goo.gl/Pz2WAa). Which probably didn't help spreading the word.

Altogether, though, I'm thrilled about the response and support, especially from some great forum members here! I honestly wasn't expecting it for a first game :)

That's it for now, thanks for reading! I'll get back with more news soon as I'm working on a new update introducing a new gameplay element.

PS. Strangely, Game center shows almost 1000 players, which is far more than the games' sales (even if I add up the promo codes). Any idea why?

[​IMG]