In app $

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by finke7, Nov 29, 2009.

1. finke7

finke7 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    I don't know what forum this would go but,
    Is the content from the in app$ in the app when you download the app and you have to buy to get it,
    or you buy it in game and it downloads from the web

2. estyst

estyst Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Poland
    it seems that content itself is sealed somwhere within the app, and when you buy it you "only" unlock it, not download it...

example? rolando 2 and rolando 2: chapter one (free) have both approximately 60MB, also yesterday I've bought flick fishing and then boght private beach from within the app - it took literally a second, it couldn't have been downloaded that fast so it must have been just unlocked

3. Quorlan

Quorlan Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Designer
    Georgia
    I'm actually curious about another aspect of in-App purchases. I can understand the content being in the App already and a purchase just unlocking it.

But what if someone restores their device as new rather than from a backup? The app store allows you to redownload any purchased apps for free as much as you want, but what happens to purchased in-app content? Do they get that back too when they redownload and install an app over again? Surely there must be some provision for this? Anyone have any experience with purchasing in-App content and then having to reinstall the App later? Was your pruchased content still available?

Q

4. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    in-app purchases are linked to your account, so just like apps it'll be free the second time around. with the exception of eliminate in which the energy you buy are linked to your profile in-game.

5. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Developers can choose to either include the content, or download it from a server. The easiest way is to include the content with the app. If it is downloaded from a server, each developer must maintain their own server and make sure it's running all the time. The server method is better to combat piracy but might be more work than it's worth.

6. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    it could be an either /or type of thing depending on the app because ramp champ got a few ramps that were released sometime after the release of th original app. i bought a few of these ramps and it showed a download bar that took some time to get to 100%.so in pretty sure that those ramps did not come with the app originally and were just unlocked