Improving iOS Rage

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by John Carmack, Nov 18, 2010.

1. O__o

O__o Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    100% agree!

2. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Hi John.

I would like to see a few more levels (maybe two). Levels one and two were pretty boring but by the time I got to level three, it was very frantic and fun- maybe because the movement in that level felt a little more simple and fluid. No problem with the controls for me, both works fine.

The game on the iPad isn't as fun but clearly shows how great the graphics are. Tilting on the iPad feels weird for me. Touch is okay for it but I don't think I will keep this on my iPad. It works perfectly for my iPod touch 4th generation.

--I have only 8GB (more like 6.5GB) on my iPod touch so I had to delete a few games to play this. Is there a way to lower the file size? I really miss my 32GB 3rd generation iPod touch :(

As for more levels, I like the idea of Der-Kleine's. Have the person in the train for one level. That will be awesome. One or two more levels will satisfy me as a complete game ;) Also, a survival mode would be nice. Like having to collect on cash to buy ammo and extra health could be cool, and endless fun until your death in game. Or have endless waves like COD: Zombies with free roam in a four sided cabin would be nice.

Boss mutants would be awesome to have at the end of each level. More weapons and grenades to the game would be a nice addition.

Fun game but too big of a file size. Hopefully, like Myst, reducing the file size isn't too bad :)

3. buddy40x

buddy40x New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Had to register just to say how much I would love to see a DOOM RPG on this engine. I think it's a perfect opportunity as it should fit the confines of what you have created here, while providing a much deeper experience. You could make a DOOM 3 or even DOOM 4 based RPG to go along with the excellent DOOM II RPG. Could also be an opportunity to see how you can push pricing, as I know I certainly would pay more for such a game.

Maybe this is something already being considered, but if not I hope you will.

As for RAGE, it's a decent start and hard to complain at that price-point, but another mode or two would have gone even further for replay value.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Bikini Mode! :p

[​IMG]

Really - just steal all the good stuff from the SEGA light-gun game series' and I'll be buying iOS RAGE games forever. :)

5. Riggy

Riggy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    I love Rage so much I bought it twice, for my iPad and my 2nd gen iTouch.

The only thing I would like to see changed is the headshot system. Make headshots count! They should be a one hit kill, or at least make them one hit when you go into double damage. It would give players a better chance of racking up nice combos.

6. Philll

Philll Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #126 Philll, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
    The main problem with all FPS games on the iPhone is that it's boring. You can't play it like an FPS so why present it as one? You can't walk around and explore, it's just shoot the mutant in the face 500 times. That constitutes as a game these days? I can buy a tower defense app that is much more enjoyable on this device because it is tailored to it whereas an FPS game is not. This is why FPS games suck on consoles too. In order to play them you need all these extra aids to do everything for you yet it gets worse in this instance.

You've created a beautiful environment with one generic thing to do in it. The tech is all very impressive but that's where it ends. Games are supposed to be played, not watched with occasional input.

7. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    #127 Delusionaltool, Nov 18, 2010
    First thing as always you never fail to amaze...

This is at the moment best looking game on the idevice period... tho the game is simple on rails shooter its fun, its polished what to expect from the high caliber ID software...

Got a lot of friends who are id software geeks like my self and couldn't believe what they were playing on the idevice in this case a ipod touch 4... The retina looks beautiful, and this looks just to be the start of what you could do on this thing...I could see a an actual rage FPS played on here... using the wolf3d/doom controls you came up with they are perfect...

Things i would fix is the PAUSE button haha, its annoying , a good option would be to just like in doom and wolf3d you can customize placement of the buttons, so the pause or whatever button can be moved to the users liking...

another thing is when you set it to touch controls , maybe an option to have enable floating virtual stick just like in doom/wolf3d its nice to have a visual guide for your thumb to be placed....

Gamecenter achievements would be nice and full leader boards....since it is a skill game...

More maps in an update!

As i Have been playing it here Ive noticed i keep getting hit by guys to the side of me, a melee attack or something would be sweet...

I don't know if it would be possible but maybe have enemies spawn more random then the same places? i don't know if that's possible but it would add to the challenge...

Game looks great, just has me more excited for RAGE when it comes out for the pc!

8. Ajx

Ajx Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Dude, are you seriously comparing a $1 iPhone game with a $50 console game? Give it a break ffs. In my opinion, you get a higher value for your money with this game, then any $50 game on the consoles.

9. jaxsedrin

jaxsedrin New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #129 jaxsedrin, Nov 18, 2010
    My 2 cents:
    • Melee attack when you click on the cross hairs!! - Nothing sucks more than sitting there, letting something tear you apart while you reload. You could either have it cause damage, or cause no damage but have a knock-back effect on the enemies (to give you time to finish reloading)
    • Y-axis inverted by default
    • Player movement is slower by default, speeds up when you hold the dash button - this would make it much easier to grab pickups while you're walking around, but still allow the player to quickly move from location to location if they want (and by player movement, I mean actually when your player walks around... not the sensitivity of the tilt controls/aiming)

That's all I can think of at the moment... everything else is about the game is already amazing!

10. VisceriousZERO

VisceriousZERO Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    1. Rage HD is awesome. Hands down.

2. I do believe the money collected shouldnt just be for score, weapon upgrades and maybe even new weapons would be cool. Strategy could come in by adding a limit to how many weapons can be carried, like, only one pistol and 2 primaries (Zombie Highway!).

3. More episodes! As it stands i totally love the 3 included levels. But i reaaaly would love to see more. Maybe add a freaky surprise on some like one that plays with the lights. When they go dark, out come the muties.

4. The tilt controls for me are confusing. >_< i loved tilt on Doom Res, but i dont really know about this.. Gyro control like seen in Eliminate: Gun Range would work better imho.

5. I don't know if its possible... But online and local wifi competitive co-op would be awesome. We could have special levels that have twice the muties (twice the death!). Earn more monies than that last dude to win a bonus or something.

6. Branching paths in maps. Adding an extra path that you can choose would add more replayability in levels. With regard to my co-op post, one could take the high road and the other takes the low road.

7. This post is getting long, and Rage HD awaits. ill add more when i think of more.

8. Dear John Carmack, I always wanted to tell you this, YOU GUYS RULE! Ever since my then 4-year old mind played doom with my dad, i have played every Id title i could afford. Thank you for bringing me the FPS.

Yay.

11. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hmmm... <thinking>.... Nope still don't like it. No matter what you call it (on-rails, within corridor, etc) the gameplay of it is still way to restrictive. This type of gameplay just doesn't seem like I am doing much. For id software games... I want to feel like I am in control and actually run to a corner of the room if I want and duck behind a box, and worry about falling off a cliff, etc. I expect freedom of movement in games nowadays.

This game obviously is not for me so all I ask is that id software consider creating another game that has free movement. Not everyone likes the same games though so I am sure some will like this. I just wish I could get my money back on it just so my sale does not count toward the (yea this game is going the right direction for gameplay). I will end up giving it 4 stars but that is because of the technology itself in the game. The on-rails control method is a big downside to me and I would not buy a bigger final version because it seems that is set in stone for this game at this point.

12. silentcorp

silentcorp Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    More weapons, make the free look free'er and possibly high score leaderboards.

Of course I'd love a traditional FPS with a beefy engine behind it like this ones. I personally love the FPS genre on my iDevices, and think they are quite playable.

13. Mister Bump

Mister Bump Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Well, I'll just add to what a number of others have asked:

When is this coming to non US iTunes App Store???

I would love to buy this game and give it a go, but as it stands, like Doom, it isn't available. Is this a temporary "not yet seeded out" issue, or is it a conscious restriction on your/Apples part? :(

14. Ben909

Ben909 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    I'd like more games to have the ability to have progress stored remotely. That's obviously no good when not online, but I'd like to see all games have the ability to store progress remotely as well as on the device. I'd like to be able to uninstall a game, and when I reinstall it, all my progress is where I left it. Likewise, if I play on the iphone, I want to carry on where I left off on my ipad. Warpgate did something along those lines. It would be ideal if say, GameCentre were capable of storing game progress info, just to keep a sort of standard across games.

15. liquidmutiny

liquidmutiny Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    First, thank you for taking the iOS as a serious gaming platform. Everyone, please show your support for the developers, buy this game!!!

Get it here:
    RAGE for older iDevices
    RAGE HD for iphone 4/iPad

Great game but here are a few suggestions.

1) I would like to move around freely in the environment. I really feel restricted and trapped. I feel like I'm pulling against something, like my character is tethered by a rubber band.

2) The PAUSE button should be up top. I always pause the game on accident and it takes me out of the fun.

3) A Multiplayer experience or co-op. Gamers like to pay together. We like to share the experience with like minded people. That's why I'm in these forums. I know we have the same interest in iOS gaming.

I feel iOS gaming has the potential to replace the PSP, DS the PS3 and Xbox 360. Yes I said it. I believe and I knew this since the iPhone Gen 1. The iPhone is a gaming device that's always connected to 3G or Wifi(most of the time).

Again, thank you for respecting the iPhone as a gaming platform. I know you've been in the gaming business for a long time. You are used to selling games by brick and mortar retailers with a retail box and packaging. You've embraced digital distribution and you continue to innovate. That's why you're still in business. Thanks for bringing real games to iOS.

16. Krehol Games

Krehol Games Well-Known Member

yes

I think they should 1st up the price of the app to lets say $4.99. Then use that money to further develop this game into the best game on iphone platform.

17. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    They should definitely consider that for this game, or the next game.

If a game is good and deep enough, iGamers will buy it if it's over a dollar. Chaos Rings is a good example. It's $12.99 for iPhone/iPod, and $15.99 for iPad, and has done extremely well.

18. CyberData4

CyberData4 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    It's a rail shooter people, get over it. It is what it is. If the name of the game was "Time Crisis: Mutant Attack" or "House of the Dead" no one would bat an eyelash about this being a rail shooter.

It's two bucks. nuff said.

Suggestions are good but they need to be in the realm of reality. They're not going to make a rail shooter into a FPS. That's like complaining that Call of Duty: Zombies isn't Resident Evil. It is what it is.

19. Ausgeno

Ausgeno Active Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Possible solution for pause button placement: Remove pause button. Change it to, "Rotate device upright to pause".

Remove the pause button, add in real gyro controls and I'd be in arcade-shooter perfection. :)

20. Rebelord

Rebelord Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Student / Multimedia Engineer
    Utah
    Gyroscope Controls and Rails

When it comes to the issue about the game being a rails shooter, I guess that misconception of the game comes from the original rage demo of showing off the graphics engine. People saw what they thought was going to be a free roaming environment. And with the release of Epic Citadel by your competitor it seemed like that was the aim of both companies.

Anyway, I would just appreciate though if the HD version which is meant for iPhone 4's supported a gyroscope control scheme. Tilt controls are honestly the retarded cousin of gyroscope. It's a sad imitation of the functionality, and precision it provides. Yes, it may make me look like the retarded cousin while getting my game on, but it's definitely more enjoyable.

I would prefer gyroscope, or touch screen controls any day over tilt. Unless I'm playing a game like Monkey Ball or some other physic based game but even those improve their performance with gyroscope. :D