Improving iOS Rage

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by John Carmack, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Zoet

Zoet Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Newcastle, Australia
    Mr Carmack- You said that this version of RAGE will never become a free-roaming game. Is that the same for any other excursion of the RAGE franchise to the iOS?

All I really have to say is add support for iPod music.

2. Ajx

Ajx Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    He did say "something like" 16:9. 16:9 is the same as 3.5:2, so he wasn't that far off.

And I agree, the aspect ratio needs to be adjusted for the iPad.

3. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    next game idea: Quake I

Im thinking that you could port Quake I with this amazing graphic engine made with id Tech 5, it could be the best appstore game ever!!

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I was thinking how Dragons Lair does that to you at random, just to mess with you. :)

An option to play Normal/Reversed/Random would be great!

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    This is how it works in Virtua Cop & sequels, picking the next level. In the House Of The Dead games it's more reaction - blast open certain door, or kill someone fast enough and you get to take the optional branch. I'd love to see HOTD-style branching here.

6. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Great game, fantastic graphics for an iDevice.

- move the pause button, it's too easy to hit accidentally
    - forced head-turning really annoying; make it more elastic
    - shotgun feels like it needs to be aimed too precisely, and not like how you would expect it to work
    - more variety in enemies, weapons, powerups

7. poutini

poutini Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Student
    Calgary
    I don't know if this is actually a good idea or if I'm just sleep deprived, but I think it would be awesome to spend your bash bucks on hilarious bonnets for the mutants.

Maybe that's too specific, but the idea of playing this game with the mutants dressed up like hillbillies or victorian-age women just cracks me up.

8. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Played it again...

Needs melee. Up close with mutants really is unforgiving.

9. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I like the bonnet idea. It kind of reminds me of the hilarious unlocks, with Goldeneye on the N64 (big head mode, super fast mode, paintball mode...I'm looking at you)

10. Googlyhead

Googlyhead Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Can we start a standard approach to saved game files?

Specifically; make use of the current iTunes feature that allows sync of files with applications on an iOS device, and between devices!

Someone has to lay the groundwork that others can follow; some application identifier, and 'iOS saved game' file extension.

11. Caboose1408

Caboose1408 Member

More episodes. More weapons. Melee. Difficulty Levels. Bash Bux Store. Bigger Mutants and wider variety. More host catch phrases in random order. Video Replay and Save Video.

12. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    #112 gospel9, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
    Thanks for listening in John!

Here's a few things that I have mentioned on the other thread yesterday,

1) Default controls
    "Revert Y Axis = Yes" and
    "Sensitivity = Max"
    Everyone that I know who uses Tilt control find that the Y axis was reversed and felt unnatural. As for the sensitivity, this game's too fast for picking up items in lower sensitivity levels. You might want to get rid of the lowest sensitivity setting while you are at it.

2)Random spawn of mutants?
    Perhaps you can make special mutants that spawn 3 times in a map but in random places only. You can really make the game a lot more dynamic than what it currently is right now.

3)More freedom to turning (180-360 degrees)
    Yep this would be helpful but I would leave this option to be available to Gyroscope enabled devices only.

I tend to find the 3 weapons to be perfect for this game. Adding more would ruin the balance. Oh and I am not sure what's the use for "Running" in Rage currently, what are the benefits?

Rage is just fun! Thanks for the awesome game.

13. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    I bought the game and while the game looks great, the on-rails type of gameplay was a big disappointment for me. I have never liked games where the player movement control is locked. If this game will be old school on rails type of gameplay I do hope that a future game will have freedom of control. iPad has very good dual stick analog controls. They are better than normal analog stick controls IMHO because they can be customized (size, etc). Please!

14. Cacodemon

Cacodemon New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Use the dodge button to avoid close mutant attacks. Also I hope you're not suggesting one of those lame as hell one hit melee kill systems, that would just kill all the difficulty in the game.

Hey John, I know this is slightly off-topic but I remember you writing that the PC version of Rage wouldn't have Dedicated Servers, I hope you changed your mind on that because I hate matchmaking.

15. zacheryjensen

zacheryjensen New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    File size

I would have bought both if the SD was significantly smaller than the HD. But the size was only a bit less, with noticeably lower quality graphics. I have multiple iOS devices, some with much less storage than others, which is why I would have bought both.

16. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

If one can also buy the Agent-with-sunglasses look I'm totally for this! :D

17. Googlyhead

Googlyhead Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    How about rethinking this 'on rails' design to being 'within corridor' - give the player a little freedom of movement (eg. tilting the device shifts the player's path a little off true), and use this to reduce the repetition (eg. enemies triggered by line-of-sight, faster/slower progression along the path etc.)

18. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    i think the game is pretty good for what it is now. just needs more content. like newer thougher enemys, more weapons and stages.

For a next game: make it a enjoyable experience to see the beauty of the game engine. Let us walk in all beautys the engine is capeable of.(2 virtual joysticks plz) Make that priority one and then do the game itself.

19. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    less jerky movement and optional gyro controls, please. Aiming in the close range seems not very accurate, crosshair can point enemy but still no hits are detected.

20. kileriukaslektuviukas

kileriukaslektuviukas Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Lithuania
    Needs new blood (more realistic). Needs co/op multiplayer mode like you play in two rooms and fighting who gets better score. And it must have endless mode. More weapons and more maps would be nice :)