Improving iOS Rage

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by John Carmack, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Phosphorus17

Phosphorus17 New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    A co-op match with 2-4 people would be fun. If you're able to implement voice chat it would be the best game ever on iOS.
    Thanks for this game!!!!

2. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

The iPhones aspect ration isn't 16/9, it's 3/2.

And when it's going to be a headshot the camera should sometimes follow the bullet in slowmotion! :D

Would it be possible to make levels, where at places you can choose wich way to go? (left/right ...)

3. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    my suggestions

Hi all, first but not last post....

Well lets get to the basics on what i think needs to be included:

- You could have a melee attack with a knife or the main weapon, swing horizontally the screen and a knife or similar appears
    - You could crouch simple swing the screen vertically, or step back a bit
    - An auto map generator, so every time you play is different, doing so people wouldnt be so eager to have new maps constantly
    - Enemies could spawn in different places each time you play
    - Bigger mutants with big weapons or a super mutant at the end of each stage could be great (the white creature from the end of Quake I, for example)
    - Keep the updates free as this is the key to success in the appstore
    Good shooter-on-rails, best ive seen so far, i was skeptical at first but hey you can strafe, great!!!!

Thanks for showing the world that iPhones can play games too and keep up the good work all this years, its been great and waiting for new Quakes, Dooms and of course RAGE!

4. lllDrewlll

lllDrewlll New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Hi John

well first gamer to gamer I know you have said that rage wont be free roaming but I think you can see from the comments that some larger level of control is what we would really like, please please please please please *pause for effect* please make a game with the rage engine where we can control the character in an FPS format.

Improvement's I would like to see with rage

- battle bucks, to call something cash and then have no option to spend it is very misleading, weapon upgrades more ammo, different types of ammo incendiary (damage over time) freeze (slows enemy movement and attack) etc, if we have learned anything from the big successful console and PC release its that gamers like a progression system, it gives us a reason to keep coming back and enjoying the same content but with an objective.

- again the pause problem others have mentioned

- achievements, they aren't really my thing but a lot of people love them

- more enemy types

- randomly generated levels and enemy's would be nice

- boss fights at the end of each level (now I don't know how this would work without user control but I would love to see what you and ID could come up with for boss creatures :D)

- the big one I would like a level editor, now I don't think this would be easy to do but if the iphone has shown us one thing it is that user created content is king

- option to disable screen snap, personally I find it more of a hindrance then a help it also makes me feel like I'm watching a video rather then playing a game at times.

That I have registered on touch arcade just to post this shows how much I have enjoyed your game, sadly I can't shake the feeling that it could have been more, it feels like a demo for a much larger game which I guess it is I am now definitely looking forward to rage on the PC, at the moment its in my top 10 games but I keep feeling this could have been a gaming revolution for the iphone, I hope this is the first of many great things to come from ID (preferably with user control)

please keep up the good work its truly a marvel to behold, and please make a game with the rage engine which would allow for user control (sorry I don't mean to keep going on about it but I would be more then happy to sacrifice a little graphical beauty for what would undoubtedly be outstanding game play)

5. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Something along the lines of the on rails driving mission in Resident Evil5, but in the Rage canyons...and in a dune buggy.

6. tcrown

tcrown Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #86 tcrown, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
    Rage Mac

John whats the status on Rage for Mac, has Bethesda killed it?

It's a pretty massive kick in the nuts to hit the pre order Rage on the "Apple" iPhone and see Windows, PS3, XBOX 360 and no Mac.

Very disappointed with id.

7. Mr. Mingo

Mr. Mingo Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    #87 Mr. Mingo, Nov 18, 2010
    This game is great as is and since you stated that you wouldn't be able to make it free roam Ill keep my suggestions simple.

1. I don't really like being able to grab cash and ammo through walls. I kept noticing the hand icon turn green when there was nothing there, then when I tried to grab it, it was actually grabbing it from the next room.

2. It took me a couple of playthroughs to even notice that there was an active reload type system for double damage but it doesn't seem to always work even when I click right on the mark. Is there a technique to getting the double damage bonus?

3. I've noticed a glitch that happens when I skip the announcers cutscene. Two out of three times I've skipped it, the audio cuts out when the game starts and I have to go back to the main menu and restart to get it to work.

4. Possibly a melée attack of some kind for when I am being pummeled by a mutant waiting to reload. Maybe even just a shove attack would work for this just to give some space so that I can reload.

5. This probably cant be done but I wouldn't mind seeing limb damage so I could shoot a baddie in the leg to slow him down to a crawl.

Even still, this is an amazing game for the iPhone/iPad at an unbelievable price! Like everyone else, I would love to see a way to spend that cash and upgrade weapons and maybe armor to help with the harder difficulty settings.

Keep making games like this!

8. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    #88 Pacificsun0481, Nov 18, 2010
    I like that branching path idea...maybe if you take too long to decide, the game will decide for you, and it would randomly decide each subsequent time you play...therefore, the game never picks the same way twice, let alone back to back.

Let's say a level has 2 branching paths at location A and later at location B. Let's say the game decides for you...one play through it may pick A and A, the next B and B, the next B and A...

9. Squablo

Squablo Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2010
    This is how you do it!!!

Thank you Mr. Carmack. Thank you for taking the time to not only listen to the people that buy your products, but actually interacting with us. This is by far one of the most intelligent moves a developer can make, and a trend I see on this forum more and more. On to Rage.....

1. Branching paths - this will add tons of replay

2. Purchases - use in game money to buy.......something. It will make getting money much more important than just scoring hi scores.

3. Weapon upgrades

4. GameCenter - score attack multiplayer, or maybe a race to the end of a stage against your friends, with voice chat as the frosting on the cake. I only know of a few games that currently use voice chat, but it works really well.

5. Role Reversal mode? - play as a mutant trying to stop the contestants? I always loved vs. Mode in Left 4 Dead. Not sure how to work that out on rails but it could be awesome!

6. Shooting gallery? - maybe earn extra money for further in game purchases like upgrades etc.

7. Bosses - especially the fat guy on the toilet. I would really like to battle the host.

8. Bullet time? - this game is really fast, which was one of the things I had hoped would improve from doom resurrection, which was a little too slow. How about after a certain combo, we get a limited slow-mo bullet time? This would give us a few more seconds to enjoy the beautiful graphics. I would love to see the blood splatter in slow motion ;)

9. Extra stages via DLC - this is a very very nice game, and I still can't believe how cheap that price tag was. If you do give us extra levels, I would GLADLY pay for them, as would many others. It would be a sin to ask for more content for free.

Well that's pretty much all I can think of off the top of my head. Again, thank you for your interest in the opinions of the community here. I look forward to the evolution of Rage.

Oh yeah, and thank you for making this a universal build, and not double dipping by making 2 separate versions. I HATE buying 2 versions of the same app!!

10. Caboose1408

Caboose1408 Member

My biggest issue, It won't run on my iPod Touch 1st Gen.

11. CyberData4

CyberData4 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Right now the PAUSE button is a big deal for me. I play on the train to and from work and sometimes with all the motion my finger may slip to the pause button. Unable to change its position.

Outside of that, you guys just need to SUPPORT this application in the long term. More weapons, Levels, Zones, Features...etc. Take a look at Minigore and see how consistent they have been with adding content on a regular basis.

12. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    #92 Pacificsun0481, Nov 18, 2010
    As it is, I can't help but feel like this is just a glorified tech demo.

Take Epic Games: they're making Infinity Blade, a sword fighting, action rpg with things to do and guaranteed updates.

They released a beautiful and functional tech demo, with Epic Citadel...which I honestly think looks better visually than Rage.

If you pit Rage and Epic Citadel against each other, they are about evenly matched.

Epic Citadel: beautiful and surreal. You have full control and can leisurely enjoy the environment as you'd like. There aren't any characters or things to do, however.

Rage: you cannot go where you would like, nor enjoy the scenery. You shoot the same mutants in the same patterns, with no incentive to enjoy the experience again. As all you do, is shoot without objective, there isn't anything else to do. It's too short as well.

So do you compare a lovingly crafted environment to take in where you stroll around, or a shooting game, that's over before it begins with no freedom or replayability?

This is why I'm looking more forward to Infinity Blade as time passes. They may actually deliver on their promise to change the field of iOS gaming. Rage promised and under delivered.

I hope there is more added.

Branching paths

Unlockable weapons and ammo

More levels

More level variety

On rails through canyons

On rails buggy missions through canyons

There is just so much potential. I feel it's just been wasted.

13. Cacodemon

Cacodemon New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Thank you John Carmack for directly talking to us gamers, it is an honor to reply to the man who has continually created and redefined the features of this medium.

Rage is a blast, my favorite iOS game by far.

UI: Wolfenstein 3D for iPhone had a feature where you could move the buttons/commands. It'd be nice to have that on Rage, or at least have the option of having the buttons also be arranged horizontally on the bottom right.

Music: Not a big fan of the music. When I'm destroying countless monsters I want some metal. Doom music is perfect for this game!

Gameplay: I have to stress how much I dislike this trend in gaming that all games now need RPG-esque stats, I feel that in games like Call of Duty they are simply there to artificially lengthen the game. If you guys need to decide whether to add new enemies or make another level, then focus on those before making adding a whole upgrade element.

Mutant Bash TV is an excellent appetizer to the full game. It has definitely made the wait till September 13 a little more tolerable. ID Software Rules!

14. MelonMasher

MelonMasher Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Petroleum Logistics Scheduler
    Texas
    #94 MelonMasher, Nov 18, 2010
    Circle Strafe Mode

Ok luv the game and all, but I think a killer option would be to design some new levels and include a circle strafe mode in conjunction with a slow-mo bullet time. Think about the visual impact of walking into a room full of mutants and doing a circle strafe ballet of death to get out! I'm sure this is doable within the on rails limitations.

Edit: To further flesh out the idea - the circle strafe mode would still be on rails, you would just be able to trigger it at certain points within the level. This is sort of a twist on the branching path idea.

15. Schnapple

Schnapple New Member

Nov 5, 2009
    I'd love it if there was an option to turn off vibration. Maybe even make it automatic if the sound is muted with the mute switch.

In fact, I'd love it if this could be added to all id games on iOS, like Wolf3D and DOOM Classic.

Because as it stands now, the vibration is keeping me from being able to play it on the toilet at work :)

16. Droidaphone

Droidaphone Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Huh. Well, if I missed something there, then my bad.

17. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

In addition to what others have said (in no particular order):
    1) Game Center achievements, not just high scores. Not just the basic stuff like kill 100 mutants or earn $20k $30k etc, but some more random stuff too - like "complete a level with just the pistol" or "complete a level without getting any pickups" or "10 headshots in a row".
    2) A special co-op level (or levels) would be awesome, preferably using GC. Design it like Time Crisis, so each player follows a slightly different route/view. At the end of the level, you are each ranked and there should be a winner too. Maybe a reward for the winner?
    3) Stat tracking. I would like a simple stats screen showing things like no. Mutants killed, fav weapons, accuracy etc.
    4) A melee attack would be nice when those pesky muties get too close for comfort.
    5) What about a level on the back of a vehicle/buggy travelling through the wasteland shooting up mutants as you go?
    6) Others have mentioned branching paths, which is neat and I would like that. Could be like Dead Space Extraction, where you got to a fork and could choose which way to go.

18. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Ok, so having inverted levels has already been mentioned... how about playing levels backwards + backwards inverted? :p

19. kaminokage

kaminokage Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Please can you inform us when your game become available in Russian store? So far I can't buy it :(...unfortunately not all of users have 2nd account in US store :p

20. pitbull79

pitbull79 New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #100 pitbull79, Nov 18, 2010
    Great job on Rage

First off Rage on the Iphone and Ipad is awesome. I wasn't a big fan of rail shooters but you def did this on right. even with being on a rail there is still alot of ability to move around and that makes it work. That said here are a couple things I would love to see

1. More stages
    2. some lighting effects, like the doom games, maybe something where all you have is a flashlight that doesn't work well or something.
    3. bigger mutants, and even mutant animals.
    4. More weapons, and for goodness sakes.... Grenades!!!!! LOL serious need some serious fire power.
    5. An awesome melee attack when they get close, like gears of war!!
    6. The music is great, I don't want to hear metal, but an option to play your own music would be awesome. And more comments from the host, that dude rocks!!!!!!

Seriously though this game is awesome, as it stands I love everything about it, but since you asked for some opinions, there ya go. One last thing, if possible, even if its on rails (as long as it plays like this) why not bring the most recent doom with upgraded graphics, or even Gears of war??

Thanks again!! Great work John, thanks for showing the Iphone some love