Improving iOS Rage

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by John Carmack, Nov 18, 2010.

1. florhackson

florhackson Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    This game needs a few things to make it better. I feel my first 2 points will be the easiest to deploy, and will enhance the replay value tenfold.

1 - Gamecenter leaderboards, with the style of game being, to achieve high scores, this looks like an overlooked feature. I love competing against other people, and gamecenter leaderboards let's me do just that.

2 - Gamecenter achievements, part of the replayability of games nowadays is achievements. I could see 50+ without adding any levels.

ex: Beat the game in easy mode, medium mode, hard mode.

ex: Beat the game only using a pistol.

ex: grab every ammopack. etc, it would add infinite value when combined with point 1.

2. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Hi John Carmack,

Thanks for taking time to ask us our thoughts. It's great to have you dev'ing for iOS. Here are my thoughts on Rage HD, which I bought last night for my iPT4.

- glad you will add gyro control, might make aiming more intuitive.

- how about after the gamer completes all 3 episodes, they unlock a non-playable walk around mode to explore the environments? No enemies or shooting, just a chance to explore the awesome scenery. Kinda like Epic Citadel?

-how about DLC with new episodes in the future? Maybe 3 more episodes for a buck or two?

3. jasonc506

jasonc506 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2010
    #63 jasonc506, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
    Thanks for the good game John. Things I would like to to improved are-
    -Gamecenter (achievement and online multiplayer would be nice)
    -More levels (I know the game is meant for multiple playthroughs and the game is only .99/1.99 but finishes way to quick. I like the idea of random levels)
    -Gyro controls (works incredibly well with Modern Combat 2)
    - I don't mind any size of download (if I have to delete stuff to make room I will)

I would really enjoy an rpg type game like Doom rpg. With the IOS getting more popular all the time I think people are starting to look for the more full experiences like an rpg.

Edit- Like chocolate said I wouldn't mind paying another .99 for more levels. (I understand with an engine this powerful that only cost .99/1.99 you can only do so much)

4. Meta Knight

Meta Knight Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2010
    please make a RAGE racing

I played the first level and had no framerate issues. the game runs very smoothly on my ipod touch 3g. I love the beggining trailer its so cool and the videos in the beggining of a level are impressive. My only complaint is to move the pause button like in the corner or something i keep sliding into it on accident.And gamecenter would be nice. A suggestion maybe add granades so that you can take down a group of mutants at once. O my god I just thought of this after watching the trailer of the console RAGE maybe you could put a RAGE racing with guns like in the trailer. And congrats on being number 2 in the USA appstore come on everybody angybirds must go down there glory days have past now its time for RAGE to take the spotlight!!!! And please John RAGE racing would be AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. zman2100

zman2100 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Investment Consultant
    Jacksonville, FL
    Definitely would love to see GameCenter and gyroscope support as many of us have gotten used to our FPS's with gyroscope and anything less than that now feels awkward and out of place. I would also like to see the pause button moved as I've hit it a number of times with the touch controls.

As always, thanks for making an awesome game and for taking the time to build your games around the feedback of the people who use your products.

6. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    just out of curiosity, why did you buy the game? everything that needs to be known about the game is summed up above, and plastered in the description/screenshots on itunes. why would you think you were getting something else? more importantly why did you buy it knowing this ahead of time?

that's like buying a yugo and then complaining that it doesn't feel or look like a porsche.

not saying this game is a yugo or a porsche.

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Would it be difficult to implement "occasionally mirrored levels?"

There's some extra content w/out any additional space taken.

8. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    2 more things: have blood look more realistic, as others had posted. It looks more than a bit flat.

As an idea, in an upcoming game/update:

Since this is and will remain on rails: Have an all out, fast paced, heart pumping dune buggy battle/chase through the canyons.

(Imagine: Shooting to the highest cliffs above as your being attacked from up high, all while being chased...mutants then flank on the sides...colliding into your buggy to get you knocked right off of a cliff...)

You could even use the dodge functionality to evade incoming objects and attacks in the buggy, just as you would on foot.

I think that mentioned addition, would make Rage on iOS a bit better. More variety in levels.

Especially a dune buggy level, or two.

9. Droidaphone

Droidaphone Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Don't kick me when I'm down...

Aside from the already mention tilt and pause button issues, I'm very much not a fan of the... Idk... Punishment feedback loop you have going on. I'm fighting the controls, the camera is shaky, so I miss a lot. That's ok, except when I miss, enemies hit me more. When I get hit, I lose life, the camera shakes more, and I can't fire for a second. So I miss/get hit more. Rinse, repeat. If I ever get two guys melée attacking me up-close, the game is basically over. By the time I get enough shots in to kill them, I have lost to much health to make it to the next checkpoint.

Basically, the hour I played it so far, I've spent frantically juggling my iPhone and cursing. I don't mind it being hard, but I hate that it kicks me when I'm down.

All in all, though, the game looks awesome, I can't wait for updates.

10. O__o

O__o Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Try dodging.

11. Reese015

Reese015 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Oh I saw someone post "better blood effects", that's actually a really good idea cause, while they're already good, making them a bit more crazy and visceral would add more to the rush of the game I think. But hey, just a tiny detail really.

12. John Carmack

John Carmack Gaming God

Jul 24, 2009
    Mirror flip sound like a good idea!

Wow, I never even thought about that as a possibility!

We mirror flip some of the characters for extra diversity, and I can't think of any reason why that couldn't be made to work for the entire level. I would make it an explicit choice rather than a random happening, but this is definitely worth taking a look at.

There are several other things mentioned so far that can probably be addressed in the point release.

John Carmack

13. Drexra

Drexra Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Student
    Colorado
    I grew up with Doom, it was my first video game as a wee young lad!

My suggestion would be to add more diverse levels to the game. I'm loving it so far, but a bit of diversity wouldn't hurt!

14. O__o

O__o Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    No DLC please. Always feels like buying an incomplete game and completing it for extra money. A higher starting price with free updates is my favorite.

15. Mbrook

Mbrook New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Game Center support for leaderboards would be a huge upgrade for this game and would add replay value to it. Love the graphics and idea, and will play it. Also love if you could use the money in game to buy different guns. Maybe update to add a level or two.

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    One thing I'd like to see is a melee attack. When you are re-loading, the mutants often get right up in your face. It'd be nice to just be able to smash them down.

17. hiabowman

hiabowman New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #77 hiabowman, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
    • Game Center - I know it's coming but it really should have been included from the off, this game is crying out for online leaderboards and achievements.

• Melee attack.

• Gyroscope controls.

• More weapons. The ability choose a personal weapon load-out before a level would be nice, this could really change how different players approach the levels in order to use their particular choices to get the best score.

• More levels with more environmental variety (levels with large outdoor sections in particular). Also I think it would be cool to have levels with branching paths through them, path A could be easier than path B, but path B could offer more scoring potential, it would be up to the player how best they can maximise their score.

• Increased enemy variety.

• Exploding mutant heads, this seems to me to be the most glaring omission of all.

18. QQQ

QQQ Member

Jul 26, 2008
    right ipad scaling

Hi,

the ipad version seems to be an iphone 4 version scaled to the ipad screen.

The problem is that the screen ration isn't the same, 4/3 for the ipad and something near 16/9 for the iphone. Its stretch the game in a very bad way in my opinion, i mean, look at the aiming circle...

Thanks.

19. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    Best. Suggestion. Ever.
    I could not agree more.

20. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Yes, the whole headshot thing is not played up in the game. A more dramatic effect and "HEADSHOT!!!" announcement would be cool.