Improving iOS Rage

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by John Carmack, Nov 18, 2010.

1. coderedfilm

coderedfilm New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    improvements

First off, Rage is done amazingly well for the iOS. I just want to thank John and his team for spending time working with the iOS and being at the for front of proving it is a viable gaming platform. You are making progress in leaps and bounds. PLEASE dont stop.
    -That being said, here are a few things i would like to see added/ improved. Crisper rez when playing on the iPad. It looks amazing on the Iphone, and as it does look great on the pad, i think it could look a little crisper. I dont have a problem with file size, because with a game of this quality, id gladly remove some of my other games/ apps. A better save system as mentioned in a earlier post would be fantastic.

-A free roam mode would be fantastic as well.

-a ***MAJOR improvement/ addition would be some sort of RPG elements. Give us a reason to want to earn more cash aside from just a high score. Upgradable guns, levels, etc. I want a reason to go back thru and play it over and over again. Because high score isnt really enough for me.

2. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    I just cannot believe I'm within online shouting distance from Carmack himself. I grew up playing Doom and Quake (more specifically, online Quake back in the days of dial up when the lag required you to pretty much GUESS where your oponent would be by the time the bullets got there).

I haven't bought Rage yet, though. I'm not a huge fan of on rail shooters (not to diss the game itself, just my personal preference).

3. Rebell117

Rebell117 New Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Heerlen, Netherlands
    First of all, congratulations on the game, it's really good.
    The only iprovements I can think of are: Move the pause button
    Freeroam mode(without enemies)
    More levels (eventually as dlc)

4. O__o

O__o Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    #44 O__o, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
    I thought a bit more on it. Maybe you can use the gyro as a joystick.
    The holding position while loading the map is the middle.
    When you move your device to the right, you aim to the right side.
    When you move it back to the middle the aiming movement stops.
    When you move it to the left your aiming moves left.
    If you move it more your view turns faster.
    etc.
    Dunno if this could work. But it's maybe worth a try.

5. Derek800

Derek800 Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    First I just want to say I like the game a lot so far. Has anyone else encountered the bug where the sound from the gun shots stops but the rest of the games sounds are still working? Sometimes a restart will fix this sometimes it takes two restarts.

6. Tommi654

Tommi654 Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2009
    - better looking blood
    - 1 or 2 more weapons
    - change the position of the pause-button
    - gamecenter integration
    - unlockable content

7. swarmster

swarmster Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I'm loving Rage, and knowing that you're considering more levels and gyro controls addresses the obvious suggestions.

But please please please, stats! This counts for high scores (I should be able to see my high score/grade for each difficulty level when picking levels). After a level you should see the number of enemies killed, targets hit, headshots made, items picked up, etc in that run, with possibly personal bests to compare to. In the menus you should be able to see all-time counts of those same things and more (victories, deaths, bullets shot, etc). Fast and furious arcade-y games like this are awesome, but stats really put them over the top and make you feel like playing over and over. I need more than one grade per level to feel like I'm accomplishing something.

Thanks for the awesome game, and even more for hearing us out!

8. Dan007

Dan007 Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Russia
    First of all, I (and I'm sure not only I) would like to thank Mr. Carmack for bringing such great titles as Quake (Quake II FTW!), Doom and Wolfenstein into the world of gaming and for making the FPS genre as we know it today. A huge, big thanks id!
    What I'd like to be improved in RAGE:
    - Move that pause button (or annihilate it)
    - PLEASE MORE LEVELS! (as DLC of course)
    - Boss fights at the end of each episode (or season)
    - A way to spend the cash earned on artwork, new weapons, or CHEATS! (unlimited ammo for the machinegun = SWEET!)
    - A variety of enemies (like a machinegunner, or enemies in vehicles, fast enemies, heavily-armoured enemies, mutant animals etc.) Imagination is the key!
    -A survival level (with repairable-upgradeable barricade and defences). You stay behind a barricade, slightly elevated or at sea level, and have a keypad with buttons in front of you. Each button represents an upgrade/repair option and this is how they work:
    -Red in color (upgrade unavailable due to insufficient funds)
    -Flashing green (upgrade/repair available)
    -Green (upgrade at maximum/no repair required)
    And the player has to shoot the buttons to press them. Simple, but works! Shooting incoming enemies while reparing and upgrading your defences with a couple of mounted automatic turrets or gunmen? Yes please!

9. theRu1n3r

theRu1n3r New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Suggestions

First off, tremendous game. Really enjoying it.

Suggestions
    -------------------
    • cloud save. being able to load the same game profile on either iPhone or iPad.
    • melée weapons. At close range I'm dying switch to an axe/chainsaw/etc
    • varied enemy locations. Instead of always appearing in the same spot.
    • gyroscope controls.
    • purchasable upgrades with the money earned.
    • as a fun to have, using the iPhone as a remote while playing on the iPad.

That's it for now. Keep up the great work :)

10. dark1x

dark1x Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    The game is fantastic. The primary additions that would add longevity to the game without demanding significant resources from id would be the inclusion of online leaderboards and Game Center support with some achievements to work towards.

In addition, I would love to see gyroscope controls, additional enemy types with different patterns to deal with, melee attacks of some sort, and multiple paths.

I'm more than a little disappointed that 60 fps was dropped after the incredible demonstration at Quakecon, but I suppose I'm not surprised. Would have liked to see some pixel shader usage as opposed to sticking with a fixed function pipeline. Perhaps in a future product?

I'm not sure this will be possible. The display of the iPhone4 is known for its incredibly high pixel density. This makes for a much sharper looking display. The iPad display has a relatively mediocre dpi and, as a result, will never appear as sharp as the iPhone4.

11. Ajx

Ajx Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    #51 Ajx, Nov 18, 2010
    Hello John,

First of all, I'd like to thank you for what you have done for portable gaming on the iOS. Your release of Rage will encourage others to use the AppStore as a gaming market in the future and because of this we will most likely see an increase of interest in the iOS gaming industry. Not only that, but Rage really is one of the best games on the market at this point, with visuals that just blows everyones minds. What you and your team are doing is incredible and I just have to say: awesome work!

It's also superb to see that you take time and show interest in the community. That really encourages us consumers to support future projects. Thanks yet again.

Although, back on topic. Here is a short list of things that I feel could improve Rage:

- Gyro Controls
    - When using the "Touch to Look" control setting; customizable buttons (i.e. so you can move them around and place them wherever you feel they fit) under an advanced controls feature menu.

- Achievements; as a player it's always fun to try and reach those obscure achievements that almost seem impossible.
    - A "Free-Mode"; the visuals of this game are insane. I seriously can't believe how you pulled it off and how it can run so smooth. What it needs, as an extra bonus, is a free-look mode where you walk through the levels as normal, but without enemies/weapons/pickups so that you can view and admire the awesome graphics.

- Unlock-able Content; I know there are the 2 extra missions that you can unlock, but there needs to be more. Special weapons (grenades? melee weapons?), upgrades to those weapons (grenade launcher?, laser-sight?), shields, extra health, you name it! And the arcade mode that tracks highscores and such can still be strict "classic" (the way it is now; 3 weapons, pickups, etc). This will give the game extremely high re-play value and make it last even longer.

- Co-op mode (2? 4?) online with friends, preferably over both WiFi and Bluetooth. It really could use some more "multiplayer" interactivity (other than the high-score boards).

Thanks again for a great game!
    /Ajx

12. DarkFnh

DarkFnh Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Cloud saving and Game center support with online coop support would be great (one can dream :p)

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Remember SEGAs shooter classic House Of The Dead? (and all the sequels? ;))

Those did multiple paths right, and would work great in this setup!

14. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Hey John, don't mind this, but in the pic on the front page on TA, you really resemble Jacob from LOST! :)

And about the game... is it ever going to be available in India?

15. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    #55 Pacificsun0481, Nov 18, 2010
    Mr. Carmack,

Thank you for inquiring about, yet, relishing feedback. Greatly appreciated.

Be prepared, as my feedback is a tad harsh.

Control wise: I find that the camera often struggles, becoming a fight to grab ammo, bash bux or whatever is off to the edges of the iPad screen. I also find the control placement of the stacked buttons, on the iPad, cumbersome.

Length of play: I would have hoped the game had one or two more areas, as 3 is rather pale. Regardless, of price. No other high profile developer could get away with that, as it's almost criminal.

New areas: I will also state, if you add new levels to the game, please let them be as updates (paid or not) to the current app. I find it would be jarring to have 3 different apps of varied levels (or 3 areas a piece) of the same game. They should all be cohesive, as one app. Find out from Apple about size limits. You are John Carmack, I am sure you could personally talk to Steve Jobs about this.

If you add new areas, to this mobile Rage, I would hope that you include some of those outdoor areas - with the massive canyons and vivid skyskape...

Lasting value: Lastly, an important update, would be adding in replay value through upgrades and unlockables. Whether it be different ammo types, weapons, melee objects. Something to give reason a reason - anything, to go back to this game, vs. Just a high score. As it is, it's not appealing to replay.

Frankly, I had high hopes for this title, even with the rails gameplay - yet, finished playing, with a profound disappointment.

16. AL1R3ZA

AL1R3ZA Active Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Homeless :D
    IRAN
    #56 AL1R3ZA, Nov 18, 2010
    It would be awesome if there is free-walk controle and more guns & lvls and a boss for each of the season...
    if u can make blood moving down on scene while we gave damage and make cinematic scenes in game would be amazing!!!
    game center leaderboard and a market to spend our cash can will be better...
    i've enjoyed from active reload... :D
    tnx...
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Oh i remember sth! If enemies next to us banged with our active shotgun bullets it would be awesome!!! like gears of war 2!

17. Pjmcnally

Pjmcnally New Member

Oct 14, 2009
    John,
    Thanks for a great game and thanks for listening to feedback. The one feature that I am looking for, and the one feature that I think should be standard across all iOS apps, is the ability to listen to my own music/podcasts instead of the games background music (I don't want the whole game muted). I doesn't seem like it is a popular demand or a big deal to many people but it just drives me crazy.

18. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I like it as it is to be honest it's short and sweet I don't mind the fact it's on rails at all, this and Doom Resurrection I've both enjoyed I think it forces the player to react quicker makes for a fun frantic game.

I actually can't think of anything simple that would improve it without ruining the style of the game or making it easier I guess just more of the same is my suggestion.

19. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    - Move the pause button, I don't know how many times I end up hitting it in the heat of action
    - Do something to make the jerking around of the camera when I am looking and the game start moving to be a little more subtle
    - I know that free roam is out of the question, but since it is, could you add some sort of enemy randomization? You have these well designed mutants that can jump around and climb walls, but after playing the level once through, I could hardly care less. I know they are coming and I really have started getting dulled out with the game. It makes the memorization more of a grind, rather than the fun gameplay.
    - Take the score bonus out of the fast / double damage reload. You can really just do that with the pistol, a mutant that throws, and the dodge = upping your high score to whatever you want it to be.
    - Graphically the game is awesome, but I feel like I am shooting something and the blood that pops up is sprites. I like the mutilate after they are corpses but could we at least shoot a limb off or have the body turn bloodier after you shoot it?

All of this is nitpicking, because for a 1.99 game this is an amazing entry into my selection. Looking forward to whatever changes you can bring and future projects. Thanks for taking the time to read this thread!

20. NoThru22

NoThru22 Well-Known Member

Please make a Rage racing game ASAP. Thank you!