Improving iOS Rage

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by John Carmack, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    - control customization like in modern combat 2
    - aa in 3GS ver.
    - Easter eggs
    - a mode where you can be able to walk freely

2. poutini

poutini Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Student
    Calgary
    #22 poutini, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
    Three things -

Move the pause button - it's too easy to swipe over when using touch controls
    Game Center.
    Something to spend the in-game cash on.

EDIT: just remembered - you should make "high sensitivity" the default for touch controls when the game is first opened. Low sensitivity gave me a bad first taste of the game - it's pretty much useless.

3. O__o

O__o Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    A gyro option would be very nice. Maybe not as seen in MC2 (turn yourself 360° to look around) but more like "move the device in the direction you want to look". Tilting just feels wired for looking left/right. I don't know if this is possible. But it would be really sweet.
    A wider viewing angle would be nice too, because sometimes you see things you missed before but you can't get them.
    New maps are always welcome :). Download size doesn't matter for the most people i think.

PS: Sorry for my poor english.

PSS: Thank you for this awesome game!

4. nikes101

nikes101 New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Please consider

1) RPG elements eg) gun upgrades
    2) Game Center (In your face score system like in the new NFS HP for consols)
    3) New maps + DLC
    4) Fix Bugs on iPhone 4 HD version

5. Reese015

Reese015 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    I'm really happy with this game, it's probably my favorite iOS game so congratulations, I've been waiting for something like this ever since I got my 3GS last year.

I'll keep my suggestions modest and simple, restricted to what I think would be essential in the next update for now:
    - the pause button (heh, I'm sure you know)
    - iPod music

...That's actually all that comes to mind. Other than that, I would definitely pay for more levels so that might be a good area to focus on.

Oh and just personally I'd loooove to see anti-aliasing on the 3GS, it'd give it some of that smooth look it has on the dense retina display.

edit: oh and of course leaderboards/gamecenter stuff but I know that's in the works

6. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

In addition to the stuff mentioned in the first post (Gamecenter for example):

- moove the pause button somewhere else! In my gameplay video I just posted in the Rage thread I sometimes accidentally press pause when looking too far left!

- more level varriety. The levels aren't different enough. Here's a different level example from me:
    Rails - on Rails
    A level where you at one point get into a train or other big vehicle wich mooves to a different location. The train, is of course packed with hungry mutants.​

- More weapons that one can buy from a shop with the money one earns from a match

- Grenades. No description needed

- If there will be a shop, it should have more than just weapons. There's so much one could add... like a radio with wich one could change the games music? :p Other stuff could be drinks to for a short time boost your reload speed or other things.

- meele weapon(s)

- The blood looks like it was mixed with yogurt

- The weapons that are in the game right now don't look right. Too small/too far away from the players view.

- dark levels where one needs some form of night vision?

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I thought it was pretty neat that both versions were universal, but as dorky as it sounds "Rage for iPhone4 and iPad" may have been a better title than "Rage HD"

As John said, it's due to the lack of granularity in listing apps, something they may need to change now that they're sorta blurring the app store / iPad / tablet / computer walls...

8. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    Great game. I echo a lot of what has been said, the cloud storage is extremely important, especially if you do integrate achievements and something to do with the money. The pause button is the most annoying thing about the game. One thing not yet mentioned is could we have support for selecting our own music in-game? This game is begging for speedruns with slayer blasting in your ears!:)
    Many thanks for the game and also for taking the time to read our input.

-James Thorne

9. baartlebooth

baartlebooth Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    This.
    Soooooooo important in an arcade rail shooter.

10. oliath

oliath Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    The ability to purchase guns, upgrades, perks and abilities with cash you earn in game would absolutely take this game to a whole new level.

11. Reese015

Reese015 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Oh and quick question: You recommended 3GS users get the SD one (which is what I'm currently playing), is this still what you recommend? I mean, with the popularity of the HD one, are there plans on optimizing it to run slightly better on 3GS or will that remain the focus of the SD one? (just making sure to know what I should invest my playtime in most, I have both versions purchased on my 3GS but as you suggested, not much of the higher res textures is visible on it and there is some slight performance cost involved)

12. O__o

O__o Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Btw. the racing part of Rage could make an awesome iPhone game too. You could spend the cash you earned in Mutant Bash TV on new vehicles there. If it is possible to move points from one game to another. That would be so awesome :).

13. Cask

Cask Active Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Mex
    Hi John,

Just a recommendation: Can you PLEASE make it available in Mexico??? I am an id fan dating from way back, and was very disappointed to see that it is not available in my country, while DOOM Resurrection, DOOM and Wolf 3D used to be.

14. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #34 tsharpfilm, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
    Minor Suggestion:
    - upgrades that can be purchased with bash bux. maybe they could be used to unlock weapon options.

Crazy Suggestions:
    - if possible, could the lighting be adjusted on the characters to simulate global illumination?
    - maybe more types of enemies
    - big bosses with chainsaws (I like that one, baartlebooth) :) each episode could end with a boss fight.

15. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    I like the idea of bosses. Kinda like bosses in lost planet where you light up portions of the boss to fire at and you could swing the camera around the boss dynamically. I'm sure you could add a pinch more fun to this idea. Also feel free to bump up the app size I'm happy to bump other apps from my device to make space if needed. Also if you were to consider a random level approach please make it a mode option- It's a big part of fun learning your way around the levels. There's room for both in the game.
    Finally we love that you're here with us/for us John, great work, nice surprise launch, great game. Thank you.

16. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    i'll ask for what i ask from all games. the ability to play it however i want. i.e. a built in sandbox/cheat mode. you can disable absolutely every gamecenter (or whatever system you put in) achievement in this mode, but i would still love to just go bananas in the game and not be limited by ammo counts or cash.

i'm sure i'll get some fun out of this game as-is, but i know my 'nice' would turn into 'love it' if i had the sandbox option.

in the end, as long as i'm not hurting anyone else's "e-achievement erection", let me have fun my way on my device with my playthrough.

PLEASE.

17. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Grenadessssssss and melee attacks

18. julietjaxx

julietjaxx New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Hi John

I personally totally dislike the artwork of RAGE. And I don't like the idea to have killing as a TV show entertainment. I don't like the buzzy comments and most of all I don't like artwork of the mutants. They're simply too close to humans. I am not a radical christian of any sort, but the game feels a bit like shooting disabled people for entainments sake in a clownish TV-entertainment scenario. I don't like that attitude. I found Artwork and abstract Sci-Fi Scenarios of Doom Ressurection much more appealing but I am willing to admit that Artwork is a matter of taste.

I must to encourage you to refuse to adopt free 3D movement with a virtual dpad as other games such as Nova or Eliminate have done. It doesnt work. Virtual joystick controls simply doen't work on a touchsurface and create frustrating results.

I found the game too fast paced. Sure its an action game and if you want to take your time play a turned based strategy you might say. However I didn't have that feeling with Doom Ressurection.

Ideas...

The game runs like a film, allow breaks, allow to go back, allow time to check weapons. Make a timing break after each room/section to collect items - you could still have a clock running to make people hurry but I found it frustrating to always be out of ammo. After a cleared room/scene two buttons could appear - go to back to previous section - go to next section.

The film shouldnt exactly repeat. Create diffrent appearance patterns for the mutants for each room/scene, where they can appear, how many could appear / which ones can appear and how fast they appear. Then randomize it. It would drastically improve replay value.

Allow diffrent paths in the game. Remember the SEGAs racing classic outrun? Let the user have a choice decide weather to go left or right at a junction. It's as simple as that but combined with the randomized appearence patterns it might increase the replay value a lot.

19. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Heres what I'd like to add to the suggestions here

1) Gyro controls, it helps immensely for fine tuning your aim

2) Multiplayer. We're on rails, how about adding a passenger seat?

3) Survival mode. I love dual stick shooters, they're like puzzle games for bullet freaks like myself. Would enjoy a "last as long as you can and get the highest score on gamecenter" type of mode, even if the room was just a big circle track.

4) Why dodge all the time, how about giving bonus points for shooting projectiles?

5) Possible level with a "defend this position" gameplay mechanic where the hero is stationary shooting at an oncoming waves of enemies.

20. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    You're correct to a point, it "didnt" work until Gryo was incorporated. Once you get the hang of it, WOW...