Improving iOS Rage

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by John Carmack, Nov 18, 2010.

1. ps2

ps2 New Member

Dec 27, 2010
    too big

late reply to this thread, but had to chime in. the only flaw i see is the app is massive. and, as a 3gs user, only the HD had "surfaced" to the top in terms of app store visibility (i tapped on the game of the week promo image to buy it). but, even if i had the 550mb non-HD version - that is too big.

obviously, you are the developer, so technical details i do not know - but, i would have been way more impressed to have real-time 3d "videos" (level intro sequences). and then, a link to the rage console promo video in the beginning would have been nicer then the full pre-rendered video being built-in the app. obviously, i am making an assumption that pre-rendered videos are taking up most of the room. but, if that is so, i think they should not be included in future games.

the download was way too long (i have not updated it yet, because of this, and probably won't), and i think it double the amount of space taken up by apps in my phone. just my 2 cents. but, other than that, amazing work, and fully satisfied.

2. I can see this happening, since in-game the levels are titled: Season 1, Episode X. There could always be a Season 2, or an Episode 4. My guess is that the low level count is just in case this wasn't well-received (though it is id Software, video game veterans), they didn't want to put extra time into a potentially poorly-received game, which I'm sure this wasn't other than lack of levels.

3. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Can't wait to reinstall this app and give it it's fair playtime, since the gyro/GC update. Way to be involved with, and listen to, your userbase Mr. Carmack. Can't say the same for ChAIR. Thanks!

4. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
  5. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    I love this game. Please add more levels and weapons. If you do this, please add new GC achievements etc to tie in with the new content.

6. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    #266 gunxsword, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
    A few requests:

1. Please STOP the vibration upon receiving damage! :mad: I use gyro and the unending vibration throws my aim off (even at point blank), which severely hampers my ability to hit a monster, much less kill one, which in term throws itself into a repeating loop until I run out of HP

2. A pick-up item guide somewhere, either in the app or online. As I've found through playing the game on hard mode, determining which item to pick up can spell different endings. However, I have yet found a way to know what pick up does what (besides cash bag). So it comes down to luck for me to pick up the right item, other than actively searching for it (health pack)

3. The shotgun - I'm getting a feeling that this *beast* shoots like a magnum and reloads like a shotgun. In other words, it doesn't have that bullet spread at a distance that it should have. Not a complaint, I'm quite happy with what it is (Pump action - long barreled - black Desert Eagle!), but I'm quite a gun enthusiast so I'm also quite fidgety about the details... It would be nice to add that 'bullet spread' effect to the shotgun. Please disregard this request at your own leisure if you are happy with what it is

Then, a personal request (no negative comments on this please :D)
    I do consider myself to be quite bloodthirsty in video games (not real life though), and I beg for stronger blood spray effects, and more *satisfying* bullet sounds.

I wouldn't ask for more weapons though, it's already a few seconds too slow to swap between guns, more would really create problems to this breathless shooter (Barely have enough time to reload, collect loot and blast corpses already, and swapping weapons takes time)

And instead of adding more than the existing 3 levels, I think it'd be better if there some 'variety' to the same course layouts (different monster spawn points, placement, loot location, bullseye location etc). How 'bout an idea of running a level only with bullseyes (but with more of them)? Like Eliminate: Gun Range.

7. Enco

Enco Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2010
    The vibrate. The goddamn vibrate.

I can't believe how such a simple feature is missing. I'm not turning it off in the main settings just for this game. Untill then, I won't be touching it. I guess it's a good repellent against getting hit...

8. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Only a repellant? Feels more like a repulsive field to my fingers.

Just played RAGE after posting my previous comment, and noted the following

The 'radio' looking thing restores health (why can't it be a white box with a red cross on it :confused:) and ammo boxes (the red ones) seems to give ammo to all your weapons.

And also, about the vibration thing. I was running Asylum when I was switching weapons and got jumped by the dual dagger wielding mutant (you know, the ones that give you HELL through relentless VIBRATION).
    I forced a restart. Got through it the second time, but got pounded on the head by a club. Wasted a whole rifle clip on that one. :mad:

9. xLUCKYxNUTSx

xLUCKYxNUTSx New Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Has anyone heard if they are going to add iPhone control with the game playing on the iPad? Kind of like Chopper 2. I really want to play this game on my tv without any cords.