Universal IMPOSSIBLE ROAD - (by Kevin Ng)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 8, 2013.

1. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    I hate this game! At the same time I love it. But it's so hard. After playing it 30 minutes my high-score is 26. As soon as I fall off the road I have only a very small chance to get back on it which leads to frustration.

2. This game looks like it will be crazy good on my tv. Especially with the inverted colors thing. Therefore I have to buy. Would love icade joystick support for it in the future. But so curious to see what it will look like on a huge tv. This game seems made for a tv with the style and 3d graphics.

Buying...

3. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    #83 chimpman252, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013

I happened to be recording this :D

Plays best when you turn off the awful music and replace it with the Nitronic Rush soundtrack, with inverted colors (unfortunately inverted colors doesn't get picked up on the recording)

As far as high scores, I've found it most effective to try to actually stay on track, once you start bouncing you're probably toast. Usually I get scores in the 50's, I just happened to get in a really lucky groove in the video. So I haven't really tried playing subversively much, who knows-maybe it really does help get really high scores.

4. KyleMac

KyleMac Active Member

Jul 12, 2012
    #84 KyleMac, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
    Staying on track is what works best for me too.

What you really need to watch out for is hitting the edge of the track which will bounce you away at 90 degrees if you steer into it. So for situations like the narrow bridges it's best to roll over them without touching any controls or else the physics might freak out and bounce you off into the white.

I've been messing around taking some sweet jumps and trying to land them and it is a much faster way to rack up score. I can get to 50 or so very quickly but it's much too easy to fade out to white by accident.

If you go into Game Center there's actually three scoreboards for the game. The second and third ones are based on jumps.

5. Hehe, I played first three games, got a score of 1. Hehe

I think the controls need to be tightened a bit.

But on that note, love the game, could be mad fun, but maybe a little frustrating first. And man, this will make for a great hdmi tv game, i can feel it. But can't try til later tonight. Until then, an ipad 3 screenshot.

Attached Files:

6. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Damn I just got 72, there's no way you can follow the track at some points past like 50, the track goes totally sideways 90 deg. and just throws you off. It's a real love hate thing with this game, more love at the moment though.

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I was gonna post a tip earlier but... got lazy. I dunno if anyone's mentioned this, but here it is:

If you're freefalling and about to land facing backwards up a section of track, you're going to bounce violently and probably get disoriented in the process, but try holding left or right just as you make contact and you should find yourself instantly spinning 180 and facing back down the track again.

In general you should try and land smoothly facing down the slope, but aiming down means more time in freefall and increases the chances of timing out. So it can often help to aim up and bounce first.

8. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    This game should be retitled "Again"

9. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    All those comparisons to Super Hexagon (one of my favorites) are getting my attention on Impossible Road. Debating while looking at Chimpmans video...

10. chimpman252

May 8, 2012
    GET IT. If you love Super Hexagon (one of my favorites as well, though I feel like the day will never come when I beat that last stage), you will love this.

Also really happy, I just got 344 thus beating Kevin Ng himself and topping the leaderboards :D

Speaking of the comparisons to Super Hexagon, I feel like similar to that game there will be an ongoing struggle for its creator to top its leaderboards with his own customers.

11. Reprint from gotw thread

I have both Impossible mission and daddy was a thief.

Both have for the most part pretty good impressions on the threads. Watching youtubes, made me excited to get impossible mission because it looks like a game that is just made perfectly for hdmi tv. However, the difficulty problems expressed by some gamers concerned me.

It is like super hexagon, really hard. There are some control issues too, it would be a perfect game if the controls were a little smoother. But man, the concept, style, and fun are all there. I really like the game, and really look forward to seeing it on tv tonight.

Would definitely highly recommend it. I think maybe on an update they will probably fine tune the controls a bit to make it a little easier to control. But even without it, it just takes a little getting used to, and you will get the hang of it.

Daddy's, I was curious about too, cause I have interacted with the developer before for Crumble zone. Since I play on hdmi, with my ipad all over the place, I wanted moveable controls. The dev worked with me twice to increase the button zones, which basically did the same thing. So I liked the dev cause he was kind to me.

Just like when I entered the Daddy's thread, I asked him if he could add icade joystick support to Daddy's and crumble zone. I was so happy to hear, that he said he will try his best to add icade control to crumble zone, it would be perfect, cause it is such a great hdmi tv game.

I'm still trying to get him to put icade into daddys but anyway, my impressions. Great ios style of game, easy controls, great and simple graphics, great humour, and a difffereent style of game.

Being in portrait mode kinda turns me off a little cause I play most all my games on tv, but I wanted to support this dev cause he is cool. There is a slight repetition factor after awhile that some of us are trying to raise in the thread, but I feel confident that he will add a little more variety in the future updates, he has been very receptive to our past comments, and I really like how he is going to try to put icade into crumble zone.

So yes, I would highly recommend both. Now, if money is tight and one had to choose impossible mission or daddys? Well, that is an interesting question. I think it would tend to rest on ones style or how they play.

I would probably favor impossible road, cause it will play great on tv, is a great motion game which I like, landscape mode, easy controls, and I think they will make the controls more forgiving in a future update. It could be a very frustrating game for newbies though.

Daddys, the dev is way cool, he will update the game for the better at some point, there is great humour, touch controls work well, makes for a great ios game, and it is pretty original in style.

Bottom line, I highly recommend both.

12. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    344!? You know I hate you right? Seriously though, how the frig did you get that? I find almost the more I play I play this the worse I do, kinda burn out thing, I do better in short bursts

13. 344? Wow, getting around 14 for me now, I suck.

14. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Does this game get repetitive?
    ---
    Also does the ball get faster so you go farther? How does the difficulty increase?

15. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    the only thing i have to ask is do the colors ever change like its blue then goes yellow , green, red, etc etc... to keep it fresh...

16. chimpman252

May 8, 2012
    #96 chimpman252, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
    No they don't unfortunately :(
    But as mentioned previously turning on inverted colors in system Settings gives the game a really cool dark/orange-y theme.

A little bit repetitive, but it's really good at making you want to play just one more time. The difficulty pretty much stays the same throughout-later on you get sideways track but otherwise the track is the same. However it's so difficult to begin with that it doesn't need to progressively get harder. It's only time before you screw up.

17. I'm finding this really fun for the most part, but the controls may need to be tightened a little. It does get a little frustrating at times. The overall game is great though. Maybe they could make the sphere a little more transparent, and it would be cool to have color options too.

Great game on hdmi tv though, wowzers!

[​IMG]

18. PixelsOnToast

PixelsOnToast Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't been tracking this thread very well. I'll try to make up for it a bit by putting out details of 1.0.3 here first.

- Quick restart button
    - Scores (on all 3 leaderboards) cached when offline, uploaded to Game Center when online
    - iCade support (if my iCade gets here in the post on time!)
    - Game Center icon dims when not connected

Kevin

19. Don't say that in front of Connector...bad things shall happen

20. PixelsOnToast

PixelsOnToast Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Uh oh, why's that then?