Universal IMPOSSIBLE ROAD - (by Kevin Ng)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 8, 2013.

1. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    #41 Pipipitchu, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
    Well... It's an audacious game by an indie developer, so I'm buying. If I don't like, at least I supported a dev brave enough to do something something different.

2. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    This game is kicking my butt all over the place, (high score of 39 after many tries) but I like the game quite a bit. Definitely a keeper.

3. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Ambicious game. Feels like Super Hexagon's son, but need improvements. For instance, I think the ball shuld be half transparent. Sometimes I can't see what is ahead and it makes unfair something that is already hard enough. The song is great, but it needs another ones, like Super Hexagon.

I don't regret the purchase at all.

4. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    Now available in U.S :D

5. Pitch_Blak

Pitch_Blak Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Canada
    Game Impressions

It's an interesting game thus far. The ball doesn't turn as tightly as I would like it, causing me to basically shoot out off of any big turn. It's enough to keep you on your toes though, and attempt to recover so that you may continue.

And the ball is bouncy as hell too. :rolleyes:

6. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Don't ask me why but this game had me smiling, love the feeling of pulling off those crazy moves. Might not be for everyone. My advise, watch 2 mins of Sanukus video and you'll know.

7. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    No doubt this is hard nut. I've been noticing that it's almost impossible to plan and make your own jumps, I just wait for the ball to bounce off the track and then try to land back on. It seems almost more luck based me, I dunno how other people are playing, my highest is 45 which is top 25 currently, but I don't think I'll be that high for very long

8. CloudiestNights

Feb 2, 2013
    Really, really good risk and reward game, though Super Hexagon is better if you have to make that comparison. The music isn't as hypnotically intoxicating.

The easiest way to explain the gameplay is that it feels like when you dive off the edge of Super Monkey Ball screamig "OH CRAP OH CRAP OH CRAP!", but on an infinite loop instead of a few seconds. Almost got somewhere around 40, but I was bouncing to wildly to stop myself before I died.

Graphics are good, though a variation in color would be nice. A variation of the music would be welcomed, too. My only gripe is that the ball seems a little big and can obscure the screen. Either a smaller one or a transparent one would solve this problem.

I'd give it a big buy, though, for it's difficulty, style, and gameplay.

9. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    The game is addictive as hell. If devs are reading this: did you have anything to do with the development of System Rush for the original N-Gage? The music is identical to one if the tracks of that game :p

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'd like to see a practise mode (that obviously doesn't keep score) with the free-fall time restriction removed. It'd be a lot easier to... well, practise. But there might need to be a way for the game to detect if the track has swerved so far out of the way that you have no chance of reaching it again, or maybe just a pause and restart button would suffice.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I've been following the thread the moment it popped up yesterday. I watched about 20 seconds of Sanuku's video, turned it off and said "Nah" to myself. Even with all the Super Hexagon's comments here and Brad's impressions on the front-page, I had my heart set on not bothering with this at all...but I bought it based on Gabrien's comments, preparing to make a snarky comment...but bloody hell, this is fantastic. I'll refrain from saying anything else because it looks like the folks here already have us covered. Get it. Now.

One thing though. God, I absolutely LOATHE the music. There's nothing wrong with it per se, but...not my cup of tea. Not in a million years.

12. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #6 on GC with a new high of 62. I'm getting better.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I bought it, frustrating game at times but its one of those 'just one more go' super hexagon type moments !

I wish the colour of the ball was different though

14. sxtrStark

sxtrStark New Member

May 9, 2013
    Producer
    earth
    Cool! this game looks beautiful.

15. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just want to say one more go, and I want to beat andy of course he is always in front of me with most games, note most games, Ha Ha.

16. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    You and your Bobbing! :p

17. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    This worth my $2? :D

18. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Pocket Gamer says yes: their review

"Impossible Road is habit-forming gaming at its finest. Visually arresting, refreshingly unique, and perfect for leaderboard battles."

19. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Nice, I'm just scared that it might be too frustrating.. But I think I'll pick it up when I'm home :)

20. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

What makes it so good? I'm on the fence about buying