Universal IMPOSSIBLE ROAD - (by Kevin Ng)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 8, 2013.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It's kinda funny you should say that directly after I compare it to an N64 game, a Gamecube game and a PC/Xbox Live Arcade/Playstation Network game :p

I can see the similarity, but this is endless and randomly generated and I was comparing it to the more vertical levels of those games that let you leave the track and land further down :)

2. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Cheers Midian!

Pretty much sold on this one; looking forward to reading some impressions from our bretherens around the world. ;)

3. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Watched Sanuku's video (much appreciated) and the game looks like something I will have to pass on. I'm pretty much burned out on endless runners/fallers like this, but the solid ball is the biggest negative since it obscures the view worse than Verticus did.

4. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm thinking the colour of the ball obscuring the track has to be an intentional design choice, 'cause there's no way the developer didn't notice it. I can see why some would find it annoying but I quite like it from a minimalist aesthetic point of view and I don't mind adding another twist to the challenge.

5. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    NZers can chime in on gameplay whenever you feel like it, eh? Us interested stateside folks depend on ye!

6. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Purposeful or not to obscure with the ball, it's the main negative for me beyond it just being and endless falling kind of game (which I'm burned out on). There seems to be a timer of sorts that allows you to fall free for only so long, so it doesn't seem like it would hinder gameplay if the ball was transparent... but, hey, that's the designers choice... so I can move on to other stuff.

7. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    I really like it, it adds to the really cool art direction making your stark white ball indistinguishable from the stark white background :)

8. Seems very interesting this one since I love boost and supersonic. Will wait on some further impressions, but it seems say cool. Hopefully it will have some kind of icade joystick support too.

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Aw F. This game is ridiculously hard. Love the visuals and the sounds, but the gameplay's a bit on the difficult side.

Just tap left or right to run in that direction, and it works midair. Basically, what you want to do is go farther down the path, and you can jump off paths (just falling off basically) and try to land on the path before everything becomes white. The road slowly fades to white when you are falling, so you have to land before it turns entirely white.

The fact that the ball does obscure where you are supposed to land is a bit frustrating.

I cant last 15 seconds in this game yet, but i'll keep trying. The learning curve is so steep, i dont think a lot of people who bought it will like it right away. I'll keep trying, but i cant say im not furious at the game.

10. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Sounds almost exactly like the descending Super Monkey Ball stages. Those games were ridiculously hard too, but for a whole multitude of reasons. Hopefully some of my previous expertise will give me a head start on this.

11. Wave_Rider09

Wave_Rider09 Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Game Impressions

There's a reason they call this IMPOSSIBLE ROAD

The game looks great and uses touch controls that work perfectly. The game is REALLY hard, my high score after a half hour is only 22. The games mechanics are pretty cool but i find following the road easier than taking shortcuts.

Definently a game you should pick up if you want a challenge but I can tell loads of people will not be happy about the steep difficulty.

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Meh. I give up. It's not a bad game, but im not going to spend more time into learning how to play the game decently. Maybe it would click for some, but not for me.

13. Smartbomb

Smartbomb Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Artist
    England
    Double sold. I was getting it anyway... Hardcore games FTW.

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Yup, this is hard all right. For a while I kept getting around 7 points, occasionally something pathetic like 3-4... but then I hit a couple of lucky runs and netted 33 and then a nice round 50, so I'm seeing progression.

It's pretty much exactly what I expected, only a little more difficult. A nice high score chaser with a fairly unique mechanic for the platform so if you want something that'll test your nerve and take a little time to master, this is it.

15. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

So is this Super Hexagon level of difficulty and addictiveness? Also any other "obstacles" beside the turns, drops, narrow areas, etc. Like gaps or moving obstacles?

16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I didn't play Super Hexagon, but judging by the videos I'd say it's on about the same level. No other variation I've seen in my 50 points worth of plummeting.

17. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Does it get repetitive then?

For me Super Hexagon didn't get repetitive because of the mix of the tunes and the split-second reflex gameplay.

18. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    #38 Montanx, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
    I'm sure by the time I finish this post the high score leader board will be 1983784828848483 or some crazy number. But yea this game is ridiculously hard. Perfect for hardcore enthusiasts tho.

19. Smartbomb

Smartbomb Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Artist
    England
    Similar to super hexagon, but so much richer and obviously with added depth dimensionally.

Beautifully minimal and razor snap aesthetics, a keeper for sure.

GOTW right here.

20. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

Terrific game. The depth, and the degree of satisfaction come predominantly from the "saves" you're occasionally able to pull off. While definitely in the same "school" of gaming as Super Hexagon, it might lack something in terms of variety and the minutest attention to detail of that title, but really the comparison is hardly fair. Well worth a look as is.