Important tip for developer regarding iOS9 beta!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Crabman, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    I'm not a developer myself but I was getting very angry when i saw people rate games with just 1 star in the app store because it doesn't work on iOS9 beta...mankind can be so frustratingly stupid.

Example:Warhammer deathwatch is currently just 3 stars in the german app store (has not many reviews yet) and only because 2-3 idiots rated it 1 star because of that.They obviously don't understand how important (good)reviews are and that this behavior is a kick in the balls for any indie developer.

So,i strongly suggest to put a BIG warning in your app description that iOS9 beta is NOT supported.

I have another question:does it also help compareble good to give apps just a star rating without writing a full review?I try to write reviews wherever i can but apple makes it really not that easy (always asking for my password etc...)

2. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Either kind of feedback is good, but I can only act on one of them. As a game designer, I always appreciate text attached to the rating. If it's constructive criticism, I have something to go on when I'm trying to improve future versions of the application. If it's praise I get warm fuzzies. If it's a silly iOS9 Beta user that doesn't understand what beta means I can mock th... er... ignore them.

BUT, star ratings is what goes on reports, not the texts. So star ratings alone are also appreciated (I just can't act on it).

Re: Beta user's reviews, they'll get buried anyway soon enough... I don't sweat it. It does do more harm to indie devs tho, I wish reviews were filtered by iOS version.

3. Thinkerton Games

Thinkerton Games Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jun 11, 2015
    Thanks for the tip! One of my major frustrations with the app store at the moment is the inability to respond to reviews. I can't fathom why blocking communication between developers/customers is a good idea. On Android I've turned 1 or 2 star reviews into 5 star reviews for fixing issues with peoples own devices as usually it's an error or an issue how they have their device set-up. It also allows you to notify and warn potential customers of the issue. If they see a response from the developer saying 'X is happening because you're running iOS9 beta' and giving advice on what to do, that could potentially prevent similar bad reviews from happening.

But again, thanks for the tip.

4. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Agreed! Once you download the beta, all iOS reviews (even through iTunes on Mac/PC) should be hidden from everyone but other beta users--and your star rating should not count. Upon installing the final iOS 9, your public review ability would be re-instated. I imagine Apple will eventually do something like that. Eventually...

So far nobody's complained about my app, but I don't have that many users yet.

5. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    #5 Crabman, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015