Universal Implosion - Never Lose Hope (by Rayark Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Based Xatu, Apr 8, 2015.

1. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Wow! Many thanks on this run down. Quite illustrious!!!

2. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    To shoot on the touchscreen you just slide across the attack button in the direction you want to fire. Hold it to keep firing. It works pretty well, IMO.

EDIT: Oh, and again, several missions later on have more than just two badges. Some (usually the boss fights) have five or six.

3. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Ok bro,,,, this or MHFU? I only have $10 to spend....

Edit:: should have been a reply to Exact-Psience's impressions... I trust his gaming wisdom on iOS :)

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Cool... Good to know. That would mean more replay value to farm them badges to unlock Crimson. ;)

5. Mintslap

Mintslap Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Waited for this game ever since first news about it came out on TA. Downloaded and played on my iphone 4s. No problems so far, everything is running smoothly, controls and graphics are great IMO. This game is worth every penny.
    Premium at its best.

6. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I'd recommend each one easily, so i'll just lay it out this way...

In my opinion, MHFU is superior. But, MHFU is a very difficult game to get into for first time hunters, as it has the steepest of learning curves. Implosion is a fantastic title that's easier to get into and do well.

They are different genres, and dont have much to compare between them, but after playing both i'd give the advantage to MHFU.

That said, you should get good value from your $10 on either title.

7. leocold

leocold Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2013
    3D Graphic Designer
    Vancouver
    great game but whyyyyyy is the resolution soo low most texture are a blurry mess with no anti aliasing on ipad air 2, i cant belive ipad couldn't run this on higher resolution, even the pictures they showed us looked high-res and sharp, so is apple lying to us about the power of there latest generation device or the game is not good enough to run higher, i am crossing my finger that this is a bug and it be fix, just like bioshock i cant play with a blurry mess and even a heavy game like bioshock was higher-res than this, please fix this great game.

8. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
  9. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    #110 EightRooks, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    Ugh. Jesus, the chapter 2 boss was fun, up to a point (oh, and again, I swear these guys have been playing a lot of Revengeance - butt-rock with wailing vocals starts up and a giant enemy jumps into the arena), but... Christ, Rayark, that is not "easy" by any definition of the word. Used every single continue, scored a big fat zero and was practically dead when I finally got him. I can see what I could have done better, and I would like to try again, but god damn that is one hell of a difficulty spike. There's almost no warning on some of his attacks at all, and they smash straight through your shield in a matter of seconds, to say nothing of your actual health. It's a really good game, but it's certainly not perfect. If nothing else, devs, don't call something "easy" just because you've spent so long working on it you can beat it in your sleep.

EDIT: Oh, and "blurry mess"? Seriously, I worry this is putting too many people off. I may not go all the way back with iOS but I've played non-retina stuff on an iPod Touch 4G - I know what a "blurry mess" looks like. This isn't even close. The visuals are certainly nothing amazing, if you want to nitpick, and it'd be nice if they could patch full retina in, but it's still a great-looking game as is (and the cutscenes are surprisingly good considering they're just animatics).

10. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Really fun game but the resolution needs turned up a notch, especially on the main character.

11. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Maybe you shouldnt rush through the game and grind to level up and for equips to improve your stats? I wouldnt really know since i havent gotten that far. There are invincibility frames on the dodge it seems, which could help, but i cant confirm it. If it does, that would require a bit of timing to pull off.

12. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    So I've already bitten and I'm currently downloading it but, how's the performance on the original iPad mini?

13. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Absolutely loving this game. The soundtrack is amazing, the controls are great, the action very fluid and it just oozes quality.

... But I have to agree on iPad Air 2 it looks a tad blocky and in need of anti aliasing at least. I hope it is a bug. Still most fun game I have played on my iPad in a long time, and cut scenes + setting is really atmospheric. Great job.

14. falco

falco Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Canada
    Do you think the experience is better on iPad or on iPhone ?

15. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Oh, I know. Could get better loot, could have taken different skills (he has no shield, and I was using the shieldbreaker), could probably do better now I know how he fights. But it was a hell of a step up. He's huge, very fast, hits really hard and there's very, very little warning on several of his attacks (he can actually jump back further than the game can draw, so you can't see him fire his missile attack from range, which makes it a bit harder to avoid -_-; ).

It was meant as an observation more than OH GOD NOW I HATE THIS GAME or anything, don't worry. ;) Flaws or no flaws, it's not perfect but it is still a really good game, IMO, not merely a good mobile game. I don't like the idea that having to grind is built into the design, though. I'd prefer it to be like Vanquish, say - not much time required to do one playthrough, but with enough depth and cool stuff that you instantly want to play it again just to do better, even if on paper the experience is largely the same. Vanquish didn't take too much skill to beat on default, but it did take skill to play well. Implosion certainly seems to be part of the way there, and if it falls short in some respects that's still quite an achievement for a tiny indie studio.

16. ZorakZoran

ZorakZoran Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    Didn't see this I think, so I'll ask, iCloud ?
    Still don't understand why it's not mentioned anywhere in the app description.

17. 3n+r0py

3n+r0py Active Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Philippines
    #118 3n+r0py, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    First Impressions, 8 missions in.

Pros:
    Combat in Implosion has a 'weighty' feel to it, as opposed to a floaty feel like in Godfire. Similar to the F2p 'Kritika' in terms of how combat feels.

Combat strategy goes beyond button mashing, skill selection and skill cooldown awareness like in most Action RPGS.

Combos can be changed on the fly by timing your basic attacks, evasion button and even your long range gun can soften mobs before going in with your melee weapon.

Story Driven: Campaign makes an effort to put you in the story, full voice overs will make you feel you are part of a mission that doesn't involve your character alone. You'll probably skip these on subsequent playthroughs though.

Level Progression: Short Missions, with mobile gaming in mind. Skills and stat enhancing items are found from drops or bought in store. missions are replayable to earn different badges.

Non-Freemium model pricing: I'm no free to play hater, i've dipped into some freemium games myself like CoC and my main point of comparison to Implosion: 'Kritika' with it's similar bite sized missions, stat altering drops and the combat. It feels... refreshing not being restricted by paywalls and timers and pay-to-win elements, like it's a throwback to the hack and slash games of old.

Cons:
    In-game graphics is not retina optimized, resulting in a slight blur overall, especially the main character.. As other forum members have noted, main character model is lower res than the environment or enemy models. Visually comparing it to, say - Kritika, Taichi Panda, or even Oceanhorn - if you've played those titles, you will notice the difference when standing still.

Voice Acting: some characters, particularly one of the female ones early on - sounds like her acting needs a little bit more work. Jars me a little bit out of the immersion but you'll probably get over it.

Recommendation:

If you've been looking for a good hack n slash / action rpg, this could be it. If you're in for the gameplay and combat and if you're willing to look the other way about it's in-game resolution, its very satisfying. I've been looking for a great hack and slash that could compare to God of War in iOS. In terms of fun, this is probably the closest.

You'll have to check gameplay videos or better yet, check it out on someone else's ipad or iphone if you have reservations about the low res graphics. I'm pretty sure that's a subjective topic people may have vastly different opinions about.

I'm an active Kritika player and the graphics on that look great, 60fps too and with it's matrix-style slow mos when executing charged super moves. But Implosion apes that with its much more fun combat execution. Oh and don't get me started on the IAPS.

When a hectic fight is going on, I don't notice the low res anymore, i'm having fun with the combat.

18. Freeway82

Freeway82 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Man, this game is insane. Apart from the lack of retina display which can still be fixed with an update, the gameplay is just, simply put, phenomenal.

The combos are endless and everything feels well polished.

It is like a console game and worth the wait.

Now back to slicing Xadas.

19. 3n+r0py

3n+r0py Active Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Philippines

There's "Cloud" settings in the options:
    "Enable Cloud" and Sync to Cloud