Universal Implosion - Never Lose Hope (by Rayark Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Based Xatu, Apr 8, 2015.

1. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Well excuuuuuuse me. :p (I didn't actually do any hyping, but still.)

First low point in chapter two. Defend the line missions where if you fail you can only restart the level, ugh (rather than revive where you let them through). Still, at least it's not too long, and it's kind of refreshing to see the enemy actually try and go straight past you rather than wasting time fighting you. :D But yeah, that got a lot harder very quickly, and not always for good reasons. Doing that level on Hard and using no skills (for a badge) seems very, very tough, too.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    We used to have people battling to do gameplay videos ! Not one yet

So are the controls d-pad? Is it a linear type of mission based game ? Hardly know anything about this one

3. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Very nice first impressions concerning intro to the story, looting and upgrade system, controls, dodging, shooting, even most voices but specially the overall sound department.
    Yep, our hero could look a bit more HD-ish, but i'm fine with it.

I dare to say, this is the AAA hack'n'slash pearl i was waiting for...a long time.

4. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Ok. Im staying calm. Not going to freak out, and wait for impressions to roll in, then its instabuy.

5. Lucidra

Lucidra Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    I did a kind of detailed impression on page 6 of the thread, might wna take a look at that

6. Adsinjapan

Adsinjapan Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    This game is practically bringing a tear to my eyes. It's f**king perfect! :D

7. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Lol. I'll try and leave one in a little bit. With the big file size, I have to wait for the MKX video to finish uploading, then I'll do this one next if ya want.

8. TheBigBass

TheBigBass Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Any gameplay vids yet?

9. Opheus

Opheus Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Can anyone contact the devs and ask them whether they will add an update that will upgrade the graphic ? I would gladly do it myself but I don't use Facebook or Twitter and can't seem to find any other method to contact them. Thank you. Really great game so far, worth every penny even with the slightly pixelated character

10. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Just picked it up. It's downloading now. I'll do a video on it next.

11. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    I definitely need to see a gameplay video.. The Godfire comparisons scare me ###

12. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    AFAIK I'm the only one who mentioned Godfire, and I did so because what that game did "wrong", Implosion does right. Godfire had its weird auto-movement system and just tapping out attack strings with light and heavy - Implosion has proper free movement at all times and a far, far deeper combat system. I enjoyed what I played of Godfire, but I think it was a mistake - as if they thought you couldn't possibly do a "real" game like this on a mobile device so it had to be streamlined and simplified a whole lot. Implosion is far from perfect, but it decisively proves Godfire's devs wrong in that respect.

13. SwipeNova

SwipeNova Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2015
    #93 SwipeNova, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  14. lukey89

lukey89 Active Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Best hack n slash game on app store! The combat is deeper than i thought, plus its just pure fun if your into this genre!

15. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    $9.99, didn't even think once, let alone twice. Bought, cha-ching, downloading in anticipation. I hope the depth and quality are in there#

16. Adsinjapan

Adsinjapan Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    If you want a game franchise to compare Implosion to, then think of Zone of Enders with ground combat. :)

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #97 Exact-Psience, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    So here goes my imps:

I'll start off with the only flaw i could find: The resolution. The dialogue portraits look high res, and so are the GUI and the menus it seems. The in-game visuals look in a lower resolution. This is probably a sacrifice to get the best framerates as the games play out smooth as butter. I do find it odd to drop the resolution that much though.

The good: Everything else it seems.

The RPG system seems to be quite deep. Basically, you level up through experience, which allows equipping the different types of modules you add to your mech in a system called Ark System. Some modules can be bought in shops, others can be dropped by enemies or found in chests. They seem to be random, as replaying the missions have yielded different loot for me.

There are 4 different types of equips labelled in the alpha, beta, gamma, and lambda symbols. You can equip 2 of each of the first 3, and 1 of the lambda which acts as the "core" and determines the active skills (lambda units can have up to 3 active skills it seems) you can have on your mech. All in all, 7 equip slots to play around with, and that is enough to define your character based on the stats you want to equip.

It may seem each stage is a bit on the short side, but IMO, it is perfect in a mobile game. Short as in, similar to Dungeon Hunter 5 long per mission. Each replay of missions may yield new loot to mix things up a bit. The best part in this system? This game is premium which means replay all you want. No timers or any of that crap to be found here.

Each of the missions have a couple goals attach to them that give out some form of "stars" called badges which help unlock stuff for you as you progress.

There are 2 difficulty levels in story mode, and there is an "expert" option in the main menu which i dont have any idea what it does yet.

There is a stat called "Hack Level" and depending on how much you have in the stat, there are certain "hidden doors/pathways" in each of the level that will open for you, requiring a certain amount in your Hack Level stat.

Combat is very fluid.

There is a deep combo system here. Mashing the attack button will do quick attacks (either 5 or 6, didnt focus on it) that end in a finisher. Delaying after the first attack will end in a string of heavy attacks. Doing 2 quick attacks, delaying, and attacking again will end in a finishing spinning attack. Doing 3 quick attack, delay, and attack will result in a multi-hitting spinning attack. You get the idea.

There are up to 3 active skills as 3 buttons above the attack button. You can string these into your combos pretty easily, but i've only discovered 2 skills so far. Looking at the shop, there are multiples, and there are multiple combinations as well.

The 4th button outside of the attack button is the dodge-roll button. It does seem to have invincibility frames, so good timing is key to mastering its use.

I dont know how to fire the ranged weapon in touchscreen mode, but the implementation on the MFi controller is FANTASTIC. You have X for the attack button, A for dodge, and holding down R1 and pressing either X, Y or B will perform the active skill in that slot. Shooting with the ranged weapon is done by using the right analog stick. In other words, it becomes a dual stick shooter if you want to use the ranged attacks. It's a pretty safe attack option, but it doesnt deal as much DPS. It is useful for shooting explosive barrels or enemy snipers that cant be reached by melee means.

A mobile-friendly mission system (short, but highly replayable, and for good reason), a very deep character customization system, a very deep combat system, fantastic controls (both touch and MFi-support), high production values with tons of voice acting and cutscenes, this is a title well worth its asking price of $10.

The only flaw is the low-res assets used while in-game, but the combat and the action move so smoothly you wont even notice the low resolution.

So far, im glad i made the purchase after only a few imps here, this may open up to be one of the best games on iOS, but we'll see how far it'll go.

Cheers!

EDIT: Ok forgot to mention another MINOR flaw. MFi support is limited to ingame interaction. The menus dont react to MFi controllers. But as i said, pretty minor, but would be good if we get full MFi support.

18. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Phew so glad i did not purchase it. My friend though could not wait and well the graphics are the biggest problem. Well i mean we played this at an ipad mini and how can i say this. It is like the devs never heard of the retina graphics. So blurry graphics. I really like the gameplay and the cutscenes but no way i am buying this one until they fix certain issues.

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Not full MFi support. Maps and menus dont have MFi support.

20. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

2 things...

1. I heard that this has co op on Apple TV.

I strongly prefer single player games. That comment earlier shows why crap rehashing sod the same game make it in this world.
    Not saying any specific games but CALL OF DUTYhdjexbsvwid...