Universal Implosion - Never Lose Hope (by Rayark Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Based Xatu, Apr 8, 2015.

1. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Done. Damn, the opening CG is nice. o_O

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Legit freaking out. Bought and will download it once I'm home. Ugghggfghiihtfddsjiigfdhiifddykhdfji!!!

3. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    also done downloading 1.9 GB installed will give imps right after I try this baby out! Brb

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Looks great. Please let me know how it controls

5. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I dont have Wifi at work nooooooooo!

6. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    So does this have any replay value... Is it an action rpg / pure action?

I know it just came out but wondering if anyone has any info.

7. Hambo12

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    image.jpg

starts off with a cut scene, iphone 6 optimized nice and then... graphics are really blurry... this isn't what I expected? well let see how it continues

oh campaign and expert mode so definitely replay value

8. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    This just made my day!

I think there are four different characters to play with, so that should also add some replay value.

9. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Yeah, it looks nice, but it's not full Retina on the iPad Air 2. Kind of surprising. Controls are promising, though. First mission is pretty short - on a par with most ARPGs or hack-and-slash action games, just a quick tutorial, a few rooms and a miniboss - but it handles really well. Hammering the attack button gives a long string of combos and a finisher, slow and careful taps after the first attack give you up to four successive heavier strikes. Killing enemies charges up your specials. Nothing out of the ordinary and it's just a very easy opening mission but it felt pretty fun to play. On we go.

EDIT: There's little sub-objectives or achievements or whatever you want to call them, too, so there's that for replay value.

10. Hambo12

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Yes! image.jpg controls were fine for me it was pretty short but it was just the first mission/tutorial. the only thing wrong right now is these graphics are slightly blury especially character model.

11. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    MFi controller support works well in levels but seems to not be used in navigating the over world menu system.

12. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Yes! Finally ;)

Attached Files:

13. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Some more thoughts. Up to the fifth mission. They're, uh, pretty short. o_O (No idea how many of them there are, though.) Still, it's fun - the touch controls seem more and more promising as I go on - and I tried the first mission on Hard (note that seems to be different from Expert) and while I didn't find it particularly tough, there were significantly more enemies and the mini-boss took a lot more punishment.

I'm also intrigued as to whether you can mix the standard attacks and the heavy strikes. Sometimes I seem to be able to go from one to the other and get a move that doesn't look like anything from either chain in the process, though it could just be me imagining things, heh. Still, I'm just curious as to how much depth the fighting system does have.

Oh, and I haven't really done much with the loot, either, and changing the mech's kit around. I've picked up a few things and experimented with the menus - there could be some more longevity there, too, but it's too early to tell and the game doesn't seem that challenging just yet.

So far the game doesn't seem "and then the heavens opened and angelic choirs were heard, and millions of people rushed out to buy phones or tablets just so they could play Implosion" or anything, but I am impressed all the same (looks good, plays really well, the story cutscenes are actually pretty well done/kind of interesting, I very much want to keep going), and I've only been playing it for a little while.

14. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Finally let me download it! Cannot wait! So glad I upgraded my device recently :D

15. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
    awww crashed after starting up

16. Lucidra

Lucidra Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    #36 Lucidra, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    Weird, my net's usually pretty fast for downloads and stuff but it seems quite slow while downloading this. Anyone know the installed size?

Edit: Ah never mind found the installed size.

17. Hambo12

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet

Nice. So you don't think graphics are blurry? ️okay hopefully this does well! keep it up rayark

18. Crazyboy423

Crazyboy423 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Studdent
    France
    Downloading! Come on wi-fi!

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Bought.

20. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    #40 EightRooks, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    1.9 GB installed.

Hambo, I assumed when you said "blurry" you meant fuzzy, pixelated, whatever. I'm just saying, I do like the way it looks, but the actual in-game graphics are very obviously not at retina resolution, which sort of surprised me - particularly since they're not that detailed. It's good, IMO, but it sort of looks like an Xbox 360/PS3-gen downloadable title.

Just to mention, I'm surprised at how many cutscenes there are and how much voice acting. Also surprised at how much I like it. It's very obviously silly and some of the voices are a little... flat, IMO? But nothing like the disaster I expected after those gameplay videos. It feels very Japanese - I know Rayark are Taiwanese, but the story-telling has that kind of feel to it that some Japanese developers seem to do, nonsense delivered with a straight face, maybe with a bit of seriousness where you're not expecting it. (It feels vaguely like the cutscenes from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, actually, if nowhere near as OTT as that.)

EDIT: Died for the first time to the mission 7 boss. Ouch. Even on Easy, when you lose your shield, your actual health goes down fast, and your shield takes a while to come back up. He was just a standard
    "power up and charge across the arena"
    type, but he hit pretty hard.