Universal Immortal Rogue (by Kyle Barrett)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by solarnya, Feb 19, 2019.

1. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    #61 nodoctors, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Guys, you can pick apart whatever analogy people come up with, but having more choices is always a good thing when it comes to video games. If you're a purist and you are demanding strictly the artist's 'true vision' for a game, you just use the default. Those that still want to enjoy what a game has to offer, but want to customize the experience a little to suit their tastes more, can also have that option. You don't lose anything by giving people the option. You just end up pleasing both parties instead of one. It's a very simple concept. And in the end, the developer has a chance to actually gain more business from a wider pool of customers, thus leading to more games. Honestly, this reminds me of people who say a remake of something ruins the original when the original is still there and you don't have to watch the shitty remake. It's an option.

I think that this being a roguelike is everything to the argument for different controls. If you're playing a non turn based roguelike, it needs to have perfect controls. And gestures on a touch screen aren't exactly at the top of that list. Nobody wants to lose their run to a control mishap, dashing into a swarm of enemies when you wanted to attack. And while that has only occurred to me a couple times thus far, I dread the moment I'm deep into a run and it screws me over. I personally don't need the control option either way as I think the swipe controls here work better than they're given credit in the thread, but I am absolutely for the choice, and I'm thinking it's as simple as a virtual joystick with a dash button and an attack button. Just putting it out there.

The game is absolutely gorgeous btw, I've been craving a new roguelike and this fits the bill nicely.

stubbieoz, anthony78 and Skall like this.
  2. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    And mfi pls :)

nodoctors likes this.
  3. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    50-55 blood? Definitely haven't gotten to that point yet. I at least unlocked the guy who will give you a better starting light weapon and the one you tosses out extra coins so I'm at least able to buy things easier.

Other than it being a really fun game that has that "one more run" draw, its worth supporting given all the attention/updates the dev has already released.

4. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    How much do the "choices" you make after each level matter?

5. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Was lucky enough to pick up a code for this and like it so far. Tried to be open minded about the controls but I’m still not a fan of them. I honestly don’t see the value in them either, other than being able to play one handed.

Sure I will get used to them but still would like an option for a virtual stick or something. You could still use all the other controls so not like you’d have to have all kinds of buttons on the screen.

Just my two cents. Otherwise I love the feel of the game and gameplay loop.

6. affro

affro New Member

Mar 22, 2016
    #66 affro, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    I have a similar, nasty issue: iOs 10.3.3, iPad Air 2, crash on load. I'm really eager to play this, downloaded as soon as I read the on review here on TA. Thank you dev for any support, and keep up the good work!

Edit great work by the dev, solved on 05.03.2019

7. Foolish Mortal

Foolish Mortal Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Sorry to hear that, but thank you for reporting the issue. I may have to PM you for some more details.to help narrow in on the source of these errors.

affro likes this.
  8. phred

phred Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Not sure if this a bug or not, but when those columns of ice show up, if you move through them right as they are appearing, your character can get stuck until the ice goes away. Can't move at all.

9. Foolish Mortal

Apr 22, 2017
    The intended behavior is that you got stuck because your character was impaled. Based on recent feedback though I may ne changing that.

10. affro

affro New Member

Mar 22, 2016
    No problem, lemme know how can I help and what additional info you may need. Done some user testing for not-gaming apps in the past, been out of that from some time, but I'll do my best! Thanks!

11. TheGodless

TheGodless Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    This devs other game is amazing despite how simple it appears and it has a similiar style of gameplay. If you want to test the dev’s ability to make fun games, check out the seriously underrated Ever Knight.

12. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    For some reason I unlocked the machine gun but since today I cannot see it in the shop anymore

13. Foolish Mortal

Apr 22, 2017
    The submachine gun SHOULD be popping up semi randomly in the shop once you research it, no matter the era. I'll look into the spawn rates and may need to pm you for more details. Thanks for reporting!

14. AltsKev

AltsKev Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    #74 AltsKev, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    i got a small bug, my lazer blade was lev 4.

On a game, i got the choice to buy the lazer blades lev 1 so i did it...(i was not with this weapon equiped)

and this has reset my the lev of my lazer blades lev 4 to 1.

i saw this on a new game, npc who drop light weapon give me the blade lev 1.

5 games before he give me the blades lev 4 :(

EDIT :

i attach a picture, now my blade is lev 2, not equiped, and game propose mz the lev 1

Attached Files:

15. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    Swipe controls make this game unique and brilliant!

16. ioso

ioso Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Male
    Dev are you planning cloud support for this game? :)

17. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I think I was just unlucky I got it offered as a starting weapon and I see it again since then

18. Foolish Mortal

Apr 22, 2017
    Thanks for all the feedback so far everybody. I have a fix in that resolves most the bugs listed here and improves iOS 10 performance. Just waiting for Apple to approve the build.

19. Contraz

Contraz Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Picked this up today and I love it! Wayward souls comes to mind while playing which is my all-time favourite ios game. Can't wait to sink some hours into this exploring it thoroughly.

For anyone who has doubts about the controls I find them to be intuitive and no problem whatsoever. I am glad more devs are utilising one-touch controls creatively! Great music as well :)

20. Warriv

Warriv Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 21, 2015
    Portugal
    This game is brilliant. I love the swipe controls, even though I took a while to get used to them, and I play on iPad. The frantic way in which we swipe and tap through the screen, really imprints the feel of this super fast vampire, nimbly slashing its way through hordes of juicy humans.

I love how we can influence the world around us, what a great way to build a narrative. I was afraid I’d eventually be stuck in a high-tech world, since time never stops passing, but the solution for this was both obvious, and really cool. I won’t spoil it though, I feel like anyone who feels like they might enjoy this game should purchase it and support this brilliant developer.

I just wish I could play in landscape mode, even with black bars or something, just because holding the iPad one-handed is uncomfortable over longer periods of time, but I definitely won’t let that stop me from enjoying my time with this one!