Universal Immortal Rogue (by Kyle Barrett)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by solarnya, Feb 19, 2019.

1. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    This is one thing making me hesitant. I do wish there were other control options.

Personally think if you aren’t going to use dedicated buttons or a stick, tap to move is a better option than swipe. I’ve seen some games use swipe effectively with combat but not movement.

2. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    And is it just me or do enemies have an unfair advantage cause they can shoot through and move through areas I can’t?

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Really surprised with the comments about the controls. I mean, I do get that everyone's entitled to their opinions, but for a portrait, one handed game, you really can't get more intuitive than this. Any alternative controls (if added) would simply need a second hand on your device. *shrugs*

4. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    I honestly don’t mind the need for a second hand on a device. Never really understood why people cared so much for single handed games.

Portrait is great just for when your on a subway or elsewhere to not be so noticeable playing a game. But why do they have to be single handed? What do you absolutely need another hand for? You shouldn’t be driving. Most people use two hands to type a text or search the Internet right?

Control options are always good. This isn’t an idle clicker.

*shrugs*

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Well, for me at least, playing with 2 hands while in portrait absolutely kills my hands over time. That probably explains why I could never be assed to finish Downwell (that and the fact that even on a XS, I feel the controls are too close to each other).

With all due respect dude, just try the game out. The controls are flawless.

6. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    I wish this game had an unlock or a demo TBH. I can’t buy every game that comes out and when I’m skeptical of controls that pushes me away knowing there are 10 other games I still want.

$5 may not seem like a lot to people (and it really isn’t much) but it adds up. Heck, I just found out I’m going to owe money in taxes for the first time in years. So I’ll probably sit this one out for now and keep it on my radar.

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Nah, makes sense.

If it makes a difference to anyone concerned about the controls, yes...it's technically swiping, but think of it more as flicking an invisible joystick anywhere you put your finger on screen. You literally keep your thumb/finger in one position.

8. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I always find it interesting when a game comes out with really well thought out and unique controls, really the defining feature of this game, and people complain about wanting virtual buttons. There are literally hundreds of those types of games out there already, why ruin the unique thing in the one that tried something different. Reminds me of when people complained about wanting a virtual control stick in Tilt to Live.

Cinot and metalcasket like this.
  9. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    #29 anthony78, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    I don’t think anyone here wants to “ruin” this game. It just costs money to try things and when several people whose options you trust said they didn’t like the controls, well, like you said, there are plenty of other games out there.

I may try it someday.

andsoitgoes likes this.
  10. braunchitis

braunchitis Member

Aug 5, 2015
    I don’t have any issues with the controls, but can understand why people want options. My biggest issue currently is I can’t see my health... is anyone else having this issue? On an iPhone XR

11. Foolish Mortal

Foolish Mortal Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Sorry to hear that, there's a fast follow update coming with fixes for that and a few other things. I had a fairly large sample size in the beta, but certain iPhone x models weren't present. The slight change in screen resolution makes the game read your device as a regular smartphone without the notch.

12. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Maybe ruin isn't the right word, but I don't get why anyone would want to remove what is unique and different about the game. Like adding a control stick to Tilt to Live, it would make it an entirely different game. If you never had Indian food before it would be kind of silly to go into an Indian restaurant and tell them you aren't going to buy anything from them because there's a chance you might not like it, BUT, you DO like hamburgers so if they stop making the food that they are literally defined by and would put a hamburger on the menu then MAYBE you'd consider eating there. It would just be easier to play it safe and eat at a hamburger joint, no?

Anyway, there's no harm in kicking back and seeing what others who try it have to say, or waiting for a price you're more comfortable with taking a chance on in the future.

13. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    I agree that the controls are perfect one-hand controls. The flick controls make it different. It brings in timing & special movement. If it had controls like Dragalia for example it would lose unique gameplay in my opinion.

Now, other schemes may be wise to get more downloads but I highly recommend this game just as it is.

14. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    If you leave the game during a run does it save where you are so can return at any time?

15. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

It did for me, but was away for about 5 minutes

16. jdjleo

jdjleo Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2013
    I have to agree I wish there was a trial option. $5 didn’t used to be too much to waste on a game but after being persuaded to buy so many bad games by overzealous positive TA reviews I’m done doing that.

Boardumb your analogys are nonsensical and irrelevant.

Just the fact that there are so many saying there should at least be an option gives me pause. And to the developer this is a teaching moment - more options are never a bad thing.

andsoitgoes likes this.
  17. Foolish Mortal

Apr 22, 2017
    Just an update: tutorial bug fix is live. The healthbar fix for some of those iPhone XR users should go live tomorrow.

As for questions about leaving or closing the game- your run will save your era and current progress if you leave the app. The only time the run will start over is if you leave the app while your character is dead. That's just to prevent users from exploiting the system. The game's no fun if you can cheat death.

Lull4by likes this.
  18. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I would find it incredibly amusing to see you attempt to explain how.

19. Lull4by

Lull4by Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    #39 Lull4by, Feb 21, 2019
    I have to agree the control is perfect for this game, since you have to keep switching direction to dodge enemy’s attack and cancel the cooldown after your light attack combo.

The moving system is not like normal games that you can keep moving in one direction, but every time you drag the screen, your character move for a while.

The only problem for me is people may felt not well for their thumb after playing for a long time,
    maybe the developer could give an alternative control option to move the character when you drag and hold the screen?

20. Foolish Mortal

Apr 22, 2017
    #40 Foolish Mortal, Feb 21, 2019
    Limiting user choice and options is actually a huge a part of game+product design. I get your point though, and game dev is ultimately just one long series of teachable moments. Now that the game is running I have some time to add quality of life improvements. I'm looking into adding some sliders to adjust the sensitivity and behavior of the touch controls, but I'm not looking into adding a completely alternate scheme.

This game's fast combat is built around the swift movement made possible through gesture controls. I've built a few alternate schemes since then and during the beta. They have their pros and cons but ultimately change the way the game feels and push it in a direction that I'm not crazy about.

If that kind of system doesn't sound appealing or too much of a risk to try out, I totally get it. That's why I've put the game's gesture controls out front and center. If you do try it though, I'd be more than happy to hear your feedback (positive or negative) and try to improve on the game's core concept.

andsoitgoes and Captain Morgan like this.