Universal Imbroglio (by Michael Brough)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 18, 2016.

1. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Michael Brough's games never get old! That's the great thing, such a genius. Simply brilliant gameplay concepts. Hack is my favorite game ever... Maybe was! I loooove Imbroglio.

2. Shkrbby

Shkrbby Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2015
    868 is an amazing ingenious game and deserves being purchased at full price point.

3. Patashu

Patashu Well-Known Member

4. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    #164 mkaen, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
    It seems so exceptionally rare to reach the point where your deck is getting exciting, realizing its potential synergies, and doing fun and powerful things.

For me, 95% of runs involve getting to about 100, where the deck is just starting to get interesting, feels slightly better than vanilla, then getting stuck in the maze and dying.

Don't get me wrong. I love this game and can't stop playing it. Probably I just need to get better, or play more, so those rare runs, with the fun payoff of witnessing synergies and abilities in action, are encountered more.

Anyone else feeling this way?

5. Patashu

Good layouts + good tactics get well past 100 consistently. Reflect on what kinds of mistakes you may be making both a strategic and tactical level. Obviously you can always lose due to bad luck, but just like in other RNG-heavy games, every board layout choice and every move is a risk vs reward tradeoff that you can tune to your liking.

6. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I'll watch that video of yours again to see how I can improve my tactics.

7. vivafringe

vivafringe Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    This game is great!

On the leaderboards I'm currently:

#7 for Count Harry IV
    #3 for Masina Rebel Queen
    #1 for Vesuvius Bob
    #1 for Johnny of the Birds
    #1 for Fey Sorceress IXXTHL

If anyone has any questions I'll try to answer them.

8. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Any overall tips you'd like to share?

9. Patashu

Hi vivafringe, great work! If you want to record one of your runs, you can use the 7 day trial of Reflector 2 ( http://www.airsquirrels.com/reflector/ ). I'd be interested in seeing some high level gameplay.

10. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Or with a mac, just use quicktime.

11. vivafringe

vivafringe Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    Hmm. Off the top of my head:

- Your most important resource is often not XP, or life, but TIME. Monsters regularly enter based on steps you've taken, and also ramp up over time. If you waste turns, you're not going to get a high score. Move efficiently, and don't waste too much time saving HP or managing XP.
    - Figure out ahead of time what weapons you want to prioritize giving XP to. Often you don't have to kill a monster immediately, and can just lead him onto an important square to powerlevel. Again, try not to waste more than 2 turns doing this, though.
    - Use your hero power aggressively. It's tempting to just use it as a panic button when you're about to die, but if it saves you a lot of turns, it can be worth it even if you're not in any real danger. Vesuvius Bob is a great example, here. You should constantly be watching for when you can save a lot of turns by bypassing a key wall.

12. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Thanks!
    I've definitely wondered how the game would feel if the monster spawn rate increased by # of monster kills instead of by total moves made.

13. Patashu

But every monster that is spawned is a monster you have to kill, so what difference does it make?

14. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    The difference is feeling pressured to never monster-dance, or backtrack, or mis-swipe, because by doing so you are "moving inefficiently" and making the game harder earlier.

Sometimes I'll even restart a run if a particularly bad instance of the above happens before ~15 gems.

15. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to have some sort of meter displaying the increase in monster spawn rate as a result of your moves. It might just be good to know, so you can see at say gem 15 what your spawn rate is, and think about how that compares to previous, and then look again at say gem 38 and think about it again. An aesthetically yet meaningful meter of course.

like I said, it's just an idea. May or may not actually help at all.

16. Patashu

But think about it - those turns you spend making extra moves will cause the next monster to spawn earlier, meaning relative to gem progression you have killed more monsters than you would have otherwise, which means relative to gem progression the monster spawn rate is higher than it would be otherwise - which is exactly the same result you get under the current system.

I would like this a lot. I guess not having a turn counter is an aesthetic decision?

17. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Patashu, I see what you mean. The appropriate contrast would be current system vs. system where spawn rate is tied to gem count. My point was that pressure to move efficiently leads to the feelings I described above, including the idea that killing a run after a particularly inefficient opening can make sense.

18. Patashu

The problem with spawn rate tied to gem count is that it would make weaker boards a lot better, since you could kill many more enemies per early gem for as long as you don't need to regenerate the resources (and stuff like vampiric spears would help a lot for example). Tying spawn rate to turn count is a necessary evil to make sure every decision is important.

19. Patashu